my flight medical exam caught something

rbridges

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
rbridges
I thought I had a case of food poisoning or even flu. No nausea or vomiting, but it started with a fever and some lower abdominal tenderness a few days before my physical. Didn't make a big deal about it b/c I felt okay when I went in for the exam. Urine analysis found bilirubin and protein. He ended up sending me to the hospital to run a quick CBC. Found increased white cells, but he was able to rule out kidney and liver issues. He felt it may be prostatitis or a UTI, but he also mentioned the appendix.

Placed me on cipro and ran another CBC a week later. Told me he was deferring medical. After 2nd CBC result and urine analysis, things looked good, and he approved my medical. Everything felt better but then I had another bout of fever and tenderness a week or so after finishing the antibiotic. This time, we decided to get a CT, and it showed a pretty bad diverticulitis with a perforation. They admitted me to the hospital and gave me 48 hours of IV antibiotics. No surgery, thank goodness.

I'm sure I would have eventually made my way to the hospital, but the timing of the flight physical got me there sooner and may have made a difference with the outcome.

Glad it's fixed/fixable!

John

Glad to hear what for most of us is an exercise in bureaucratic futility actually resulted in someone becoming healthier. Sorry I missed you while I was down that way.

I'm picking up what you're putting down....say no more.....3rd class medical is not only NOT being thrown out, but frequency is being increased to once every 6 months... :D

I'm picking up what you're putting down....say no more.....3rd class medical is not only NOT being thrown out, but frequency is being increased to once every 6 months... :D

start giving me a Delta airline pilot paycheck and maybe I'll go along with it. :lol:

WOW - Glad they found it quickly.

Glad to hear they found it as well.

A family member has diverticulitis very bad and used to end up in the hospital frequently because of it. I'm a huge proponent of using mother nature to help heal the body. Slippery Elm Bark is used for a LOT of things. Esophageal erosion, acid reflux, repairing of the intestinal track and bowels, etc. It can also be used as a poultice for open wounds outside and inside the body. It's been used for a very long time.

I never try to tell someone what to do, but when it comes to health I like to try to steer people towards a very inexpensive supplement. Google it and check it out. You can get it at 99% of the health food stores.

Good luck!!!

Remedies

• Post attack, and to soothe an inflamed bowel at any time, slippery elm is indispensable. It is calming and healing. Take 1 teaspoon in water, yogurt or banana 3 times a day.

Back