My flight bag wish list

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
I have asked for a new flight bag for my birthday and my wife asked which one. The new Sporty's bags look nice but they seem like the headset bag is to small for my Light Speeds. So I have narrowed my wish list down to two bags

1) The Sky High Adventurer Bag that I can get for $81 at Joe Pilot at Airways in Lancaster PA. I posted the Marv Golden link only b/c it shows the bag open

http://www.marvgolden.com/flight-bags/shduffle.htm

2) The Zulu works Gazelle Bag which is $99 at Marv Golden

http://www.marvgolden.com/flight-bags/zuluworksgazelle.htm

Both appear to have ample room for my light speeds the Zulu bag has detachable headset bags and the Sky High does not.

My current bag is one of those sporty's breifcase style soft bags and it is crammed with my AFD, Charts, Jepp Book, Transciever, 296, and yoke mount and other misc crap. I carry the headsets in thier own bag and I really need more room. What are your opinions?

The SkyHigh Bag looks nice,... I think I would go with that one out of the two choices you mentioned.

I have one of the Sporty's bags, before they changed to the newer two-tone gray style, and I really like it. It's a good size for me right now for local flying or short XC's. Made pretty well, so I suspect that the newer ones are of the same or better quality.

I don't have a flight bag nowadays, but if/when I start shopping for one again, I'll look for something with detachable headset cases. Makes it nice to just grab headsets and go hop in the plane without having to lug around extra charts/pens/pencils/water bottles/melted snickers/whatever for those short-hops around the pattern or just to go ride with someone.

I've got a Sporty's bag I've been dragging around since I was a student pilot. Got around 7+ years on it and it's holding up just fine. Carries more stuff that I really would care to lug around. Let's just say that I have to consider it in W&B calculations. :D Headset pockets at both ends, side pockets and lots of room inside.

http://www.skyhighgear.com/product_tour/slide4_discovery.htm

Better pics of the sky High bag. I like that bag. If I was not so happy with my Cencal, which you cannot get anymore, I would get this one.

Yeah the only down side I see to that bag is that the headset pockets are not detatchable and no special pocket for the transceiver. The headset thing is a bigger deal but probably not enough to make me not get it.

I have to say that in looking at flight bags I am amazed at how small some of the headset pocket are. they look rediculously thin. Especially for my light speeds.

Yeah the only down side I see to that bag is that the headset pockets are not detatchable and no special pocket for the transceiver. The headset thing is a bigger deal but probably not enough to make me not get it.

I have to say that in looking at flight bags I am amazed at how small some of the headset pocket are. they look rediculously thin. Especially for my light speeds.
LS's (some models) are ridiculously large! You could also ask for a smaller pair of headsets. DCs or a Zulus? :dunno:

LS's (some models) are ridiculously large! You could also ask for a smaller pair of headsets. DCs or a Zulus? :dunno:

Well I'm not gonna spend $400 on new headsets just so they will fit in the bag. The only DCs I'd consider would be the X-11s. Not that the DCs aren't good head sets they just clamp my head too much. Guess if I went with one of those Clarity Aloft sets I could just stick them in my pocket.

Well I'm not gonna spend $400 on new headsets just so they will fit in the bag. The only DCs I'd consider would be the X-11s. Not that the DCs aren't good head sets they just clamp my head too much. Guess if I went with one of those Clarity Aloft sets I could just stick them in my pocket.
Understand your fit problem with the DCs. But don't consider the X11s, they just do not work very well.

My current bag is one of those sporty's breifcase style soft bags and it is crammed with my AFD, Charts, Jepp Book, Transciever, 296, and yoke mount and other misc crap. I carry the headsets in thier own bag and I really need more room. What are your opinions?

:D:D Carry less stuff? :D:D

Gary

My family gave me the ASA bag this Christmas -- and some family friends gave me a smaller headset bag.

Works great since if I'm just doing a local training hop I grab the headset bag with notepad, headset, flashlights, and small transceiver.

For XC or ground training I can load up the ASA bag.

Just receive the Sportys new std. size flight bag and its more than large enough the headset pocket fits my Bose X perfectly. Plenty of inside pockets and there's a padded section/divider that can be configured in the main compartment I laid it across the bottom for extra protection I've put everything I could think of to carry on a long XC and I still have room. Two thumbs up on this one!

I have the Sky High Adventurer bag. Its a good bag and holds all my stuff, but it's heavy with everything in it and it takes up alot of space in the airplane. Most of the time I only use my head set, kneeboard and a chart so I lug the bag with me only to leave most of the stuff in the bag. I'm actually thinking of downsizing to a smaller Sky High Bag for the basic VFR stuff and using a separate bag of some sort for my IFR stuff.

Adam, given the size bag you'll need to carry all the stuff that you mentioned, I don't you'll be unhappy with either bag but the Sky High's are hard to beat. I really like the zippered front flap that opens up for easy access to the charts and pens etc.

Last edited:
A few years ago I bought a large leather bag from PilotMall.com at OSH. It has detachable headset pockets, which can hold my 20/3G lightspeeds.

I think their current model doesn't have the detachable pockets, but I really REALLY recommend a leather bag when you're ready to buy your "last" flight bag - it just takes the wear so much better than the denier nylon or fabric bags.

I purchased and returned that Sky High bag, as I thought it was a little flimsy. If I didn't have it packed in the middle, the weight of the headsets on the ends made it collapse in the middle.

I have the largest Sportys bag, with the detachable headset bags, and that worked well, but it was a little too big.

After I got my PPL, I purchased the Sportys IFR bag (not the new models) and it is just about perfect. I have to carry my hood separately, but that's OK with me. It has a pocket for everything I really need.

I have asked for a new flight bag for my birthday and my wife asked which one. The new Sporty's bags look nice but they seem like the headset bag is to small for my Light Speeds. So I have narrowed my wish list down to two bags

Y'know Adam, you should come to OSHKOSH and try them all out in person!!! :yes:

I have the Sporty's Super Duper Ultra Deluxe Makes You Over Gross bag. My Lightspeed 20-3G's fit fine in the headset pouches. The headset pouches are detachable and can be fastened together for a small-bag type of experience when you want it. It also has TWO padded internal pouches (presumably one for your handheld radio and one for your portable GPS). To the "normal" bag I added the set of four dividers to hold approach plates, logbook, A/FD's, etc.

Only complaint: Lugging 60 pounds of flight gear around has stressed it a bit and one of the top zippers is coming apart.

The SkyHigh Bag looks nice,... I think I would go with that one out of the two choices you mentioned.

http://www.skyhighgear.com/product_tour/slide4_discovery.htm

Better pics of the sky High bag. I like that bag. If I was not so happy with my Cencal, which you cannot get anymore, I would get this one.

I have the Sky High bag. Best endorsement I can give it is I haven't managed to shred the fabric or zippers yet. I've killed 3-4 bags up to now including a Cencal.

I like the layout although I have the usual problem of not knowing which of the leventy-seven pockets I put soothing in. I always know it's in there somewhere. :dunno:

BTW, even getting a transparent bag didn't really fix that, because with enough stuff you can't see everything and I still have some things in other bags. :(

1) The Sky High Adventurer Bag that I can get for $81 at Joe Pilot at Airways in Lancaster PA. I posted the Marv Golden link only b/c it shows the bag open

http://www.marvgolden.com/flight-bags/shduffle.htm

2) The Zulu works Gazelle Bag which is $99 at Marv Golden

http://www.marvgolden.com/flight-bags/zuluworksgazelle.htm

Both appear to have ample room for my light speeds the Zulu bag has detachable headset bags and the Sky High does not.

My opinion is Carry LESS. One book of approach plates/enroutes, Standby Com, Flashlight, Pen, spare batteries, and headset in its own bag.

My opinion is Carry LESS. One book of approach plates/enroutes, Standby Com, Flashlight, Pen, spare batteries, and headset in its own bag.
That's all I keep. Well, there are four, small flashlights and two sets of batteries.

Yeah, that's so that I can manage a set of car keys on ONE trip from the a/c to the car. Any more and I'm like a turtle on his back.......

I have the usual problem of not knowing which of the leventy-seven pockets I put something in ...
Yes. I finally tried one of the tool bags with "leventy-seven" outside pockets so I could see everything. That was the solution but the tool pockets were mostly the wrong sizes for pilot stuff. I finally had a few bags custom-made with the right size pockets and am now a happy guy. Looks strange, works great.

Yep, that and notebook and pens and headset light (smaller and lighter than a standard headset and lights whatever you're looking at), and ASA folding kneeboard.

One notebook is strictly for CFI notes -- what we did, comments, times, etc etc, the other is in the kneeboard -- top binding for easy tear off. Target has a brand with nice stiff back. Good for writing clearances, freqs, weather, etc.

An egg timer and a few binder clips, too.

I have always used duffle bags. They are inexpensive and can be quickly loaded for fast exits. I can sort and repack all the items at a later, more convenient and leisurely time.

I don't bother with a bag. Although all the crap I need for instrument lessons is starting to make me consider using one again.

For general VFR stuff I just grab my headset, a chart if needed, and my headlamp if I expect night.

Carrying less stuff is great and might work if I had a plane to keep stuff in or a hanger but I always feel the need to have my fuel tester, leatherman. I'd feel unprepared if I only had a light, charts and headset. Just the other day in flight I used my AFD to find a second app freq

The main advantage of a bag or case is you have a central place to store things.

If you only fly one airplane -- why carry anything to and from?

But if you rent, fly more than one, or instruct, you need a carrying case if you don't want to leave a trail of lost belongings in cockpits across America.

Consider looking at smaller bags. I have one of the smaller of the last generation Sporty's bags and it's waaaay too big. I've always got some extra room left in it, even when I've got 3-4 approach plate binders and a bunch of charts. On the plus side, it becomes part of the packing on vacations. But I could really use a smaller bag for training work, one headset pouch and barely enough room for my kneeboard and some charts.

It's nice to have room for it all, but you'll get tired of tying up that much space in a four place rental at some point.

YMMV of course...

Jim G

What Lee said.

I have the Sky High (without that atrocious logo, thank goodness). It'll carry what you need, and is well-designed. There is a transceiver pocket, I detach my antenna and it fits just fine. Frankly, I need less room - I should leave the transceiver and the 396 in the airplane. In fact.......mebbe we can strike a deal tomorrow, nows I think about it.......

I am part of the "you can never have too many tools" school.... I carry what is called a "Pro Trainers Bag". It is manufactured by Avery. Yes, the same people that make hip waders and duck decoy bags.....

I picked it up for around $20 on clearance, it has a nice big padded main compartment, a bunch of little pockets for pencils, pens, and the gerber multiplier tool. I carry my GPS in a padded pelican case, and it fits right in there next to the TWO headsets and the THREE flashlights.....(1 red, 1 white, 1 D cell).

Plus I think it is funny that it says "Pro-Trainer" on the strap....

Anyhow, it's a non-conventional approach to the age old problem.

--Matt Rogers

link:
http://www.gundogsupply.com/avprotrainba.html

I use a backpack. Lots of compartments for everything and sorta cheap.

I bought a large flight bag off of eBay. It was cheap (~$30), big, has two headset compartments (non-detachable), and enough pockets for what I want.

Since I fly rentals, I need to bring everything with me when I get in the plane, and take it all with me when I leave it. Given the nature of my flying (3 PM at work going "Hmm... I think I'll go flying today. Now where should I go?"), I just keep anything I might need with me. As to the cheap bag? Well, I bought it probably in December. The shoulder strap has already broken off of it. I don't suspect it will last as long as most other flight bags, but considering the price it'll do me fine for however long it does last. Then I'll probably buy a nicer one, but by then I may have my own plane.

My flight instructor I don't think has a pilot bag. His planes are all appropriately equipped, and the only thing he'll need to grab sometimes is a headset (usually grabs one of the Bose headsets out of the Navajo before a lesson) and his Jepp charts, in the nice convenient book.

Back