My first Young Eagle flights

BrianR

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
BrianR
I know not all pilots are enamored with these, and plenty decline to do them for various reasons, but never having done it, I was looking forward to it. Three of us flew 26 kids...which doesn't sound like many, and it was nothing like the usual turnout here, but considering the weather was marginal VFR with either mist or rain showers all day, I was surprised to see that many. We finally called it quits at noon, when ceilings were just too low to continue safely.

I didn't look at it as attracting future pilots, but rather to give the kids an opportunity that many of them would never have otherwise. And every one of them walked away with a huge grin! They were all respectful and listened, although I did have to tell one group to keep it down. And one kid, who was really interested in learning to fly, is a type 1 diabetic, like myself, so hopefully our chat about the need to always maintain good control of one's diabetes carried some weight.

We won't talk about my adventure returning the plane to its home base 40 miles away, when the weather finally -- or so I thought -- lifted enough at both ends. In the middle, it was another story. Suffice it to say I lost a few pounds sweating, and all I could think of was what the NTSB report would say. Thankfully, it worked out. But what a demonstration for getting an instrument rating; with that, it would have been a non-event.

And tomorrow, I leave on my longest cross-country to date - literally, half way across the country.

All in all, quite an interesting couple of days...:yesnod:

Good on ya. Young Eagles are a lot of fun, and a great experience for pilots and kids alike.

Good on ya. Young Eagles are a lot of fun, and a great experience for pilots and kids alike.

I just did my first Young Eagles flights last Sunday! I had a ton of fun, though I did get one curious look accompanied by the question, "and HOW long exactly have you been flying?" But it all went really well. I flew only 3 of 36(ish) Young Eagles, because the plane I was supposed to be in was used for intro rides as well for those over 17, but I had a blast. And I loved the smiles we all put on peoples' faces. There were a number of "THAT WAS THE COOLEST THING EVER!" moments. Good stuff.

I just flew my second Young Eagle flight this evening. It was a lot of fun and I agree that the smile on their faces and the excitement they exhibit are well worth the effort.

I started flying in 1995 and began the Young Eagle flights somewhere around 1997-1998. I introduced several young people to the program before I quit flying in 2001. I just returned to flying this past November and have been looking forward to getting re-acquainted with the Young Eagles program.

I have now introduced two into the Young Eagles program and find it very rewarding. I am also a Pilot Mentor with AOPA and have two new student pilots starting their flight lessons. That is also very rewarding sharing the joy of flight with others who have always wanted to fly, but just needed a little encouragement or advice on how to start.

Yay for you. I go to a meeting tonight to get more information on the July Young Eagles. Only reason I might participate is because it is at my home airport, highly coordinated, only takes a few minutes (they said 15 minute flight?) etc. We shall see.

I had a blast. Can't wait to do it again, hopefully in better weather. They told us 10-15 minutes per ride. But I knew several of the parents whose kids flew with me, which was nice. The joys of a small town!

I used to do Young Eagle flights . I flew about 125 of the little varmits.I stopped when they started re-cycling the kids. Some were going for their 4th or 5th free ride.

Back