My First Student

PHXAvi8tor

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
PHXAvi8tor
Today, I start training a new candidate for the "ancient and eternal order" (as Dr. Bruce calls it).

We'll start with lesson No. 1, and in two or three months (maybe four), hopefully he'll be a newly minted Private Pilot.

Since getting my CFI Initial last February, this is what I have been looking to do -- teach a new generation of aviators. This is what I've trained for the last 11 months to do -- learn how to be a good teacher and impart the knowledge and skills for one to become a great pilot.

So, here we go! Off to the airport in 30 minutes to introduce him to blue skies above.

Today, I start training a new candidate for the "ancient and eternal order" (as Dr. Bruce calls it).

We'll start with lesson No. 1, and in two or three months (maybe four), hopefully he'll be a newly minted Private Pilot.

Since getting my CFI Initial last February, this is what I have been looking to do -- teach a new generation of aviators. This is what I've trained for the last 11 months to do -- learn how to be a good teacher and impart the knowledge and skills for one to become a great pilot.

So, here we go! Off to the airport in 30 minutes to introduce him to blue skies above.

That brings up memories from the other side of the cockpit! My primary fixed wing CFI was fairly newly minted and I was his very first student to go all the way from intro lesson to PP-ASEL under his instruction. I suspect it was a learning experience for both of us.

(It was a different story for my rotorcraft add-on -- that CFI was a retired Army CWO4 who had been an instructor and check airman in OH-6As and UH-1s).

Congratulations on having your first pupil. Let us know how it goes.

Congratulations. WOW 3 or 4 months...it took me 7 months to get my PPL this time. (well 7 yrs. 7 mo. 15 days all togehter) Wish my CFI could have finished me up that quick.

It was your CFI's fault?

The answer to that is a resounding yes regarding at least one CFI. He took ALOT of Brooks money she paid for "block time" and split town. It takes a long time to recover from such a financial set back for us folks that dont have it like that.

Way to go Ben,
I feel confident that you will do a great job teaching your "candidate"
to be a pilot. You certainly have the proper attitude.

Skipp

Lesson 1 went pretty good this morning.

I'll post from time to time how it goes; but I also want to protect the privacy of my "client" (student?). I like "client" better. It seems to show more respect for the person receiving the instruction.

Lesson 1 is all about getting familiar with the airplane; how to do a good preflight; basic climbs, turns, descents. It includes an introduction to takeoffs and landings.

The neat thing, is that I let him do the takeoff. And, he did great! As expected, some "left-turning tendencies" weren't fully corrected. But, that's normal! It opens the door to talk about torque, P-factor, gyroscopic effect and slipstream effect in a future lesson.

I do agree with Tony: I will probably learn more than my client/student will.

One thing is certain: This is fun!

I guess I figure Im a teacher, and the student is a student. sounds like your guy (or gal) had fun. If you think you're first lesson as a CFI was a blast, imagine how it was for the student!

I guess I figure Im a teacher, and the student is a student. sounds like your guy (or gal) had fun. If you think you're first lesson as a CFI was a blast, imagine how it was for the student!

Yes, I guess you're right, Tony.

Otherwise, we wouldn't be called "instructors."

Thanks.

I'm pretty sure he had a blast. He wants to go out and fly Saturday morning again, but just have some fun and take the time to get familiar with radio procedures (Class D airspace) and get comfortable. Neat! I can adapt.

JOOC, what are you teaching in?

I probably should have titled this "My first Student(s)" (plural). :)

Finished two flights in a row this weekend with a student needing a flight review after not flying for almost a decade.

The resulting improvements were so dramatic that it was almost hard to believe. First landing three weeks ago: Like wild porpoises on a rampage down the runway. Today's: Greasers.

Came home and told my wife: Either he studied real hard or I really know how to teach.

Maybe it's a combo of the two.

It is very nice to be able to welcome a fellow pilot back to the ancient and eternal order with a logbook endorsement indicating BFR completed.

Last edited:
Another word of wisdom from my CFII examiner: "You're first students will learn in spite of you"

Keep up the good work.

Back