My first Solo

Sky-Pidgeon

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Matt
I have my first solo flight on Saturday.. any advice?

Best advice I can offer is to remember that you probably wouldn't be signed off to solo if you hadn't already flown a circuit without any input from your instructor. So in a way, you've already done it. :D

relax, do what you've been trained to do,... and enjoy every second of it.

It's an amazing feeling when you go to turn crosswind and realize your instructor isn't sitting there in the right seat. I was so focused on the Takeoff, that's when I realized I was up there all by myself, and it was a great feeling looking down on the airport while on Downwind Leg.

I owned the plane I learned to fly in (a '57 C172) so it was easy for me to scheme up a little cheating aid. If you're renting this might be harder to pull off, but...

We flew some dual in the morning before he signed me off for my solo. I purposely didn't top the tanks off at the beginning of the day. Then we landed, stopped, he endorsed my logbook, I told the lineman to top me off. The plane took 20 gallons. 20x6=120#, my instructor weighed 145#.

So, since I wasn't 145# lighter, I didn't float all the way down the runway on my first solo landing (only...ummmm...half way).

:)

As a Pilot who just passed his Checkride less than a week ago, I can say this just as everyone else has said already.

Just fly like normal. You'll notice a difference in Performance, but just relax and fly the Plane! Throughout my training, I flew dual with the mindset that I was the PIC and that my CFI was not in the Plane. This helped a ton when I did Solo work, and to the very day when I fly as a Private Pilot!

Good luck, don't sweat it and have fun!

Don't do this.

7456-Picture005.jpg

:goofy:

Don't overthink it...use your training, and your checklist. You'll be fine. I had a grin on my face for a week afterwards.

Like they said, Just don't do nuthin' stupid. And when in doubt, go around.

Have someone else bring a camera to record the smile :goofy:

I feel so bad about not answering for a week or two, ive had a few things going on.

It went great!! When I first posted I was a day away from doing my first traffic pattern solo. I did 4 of them - one more than required because the conditions were awesome. Pretty much no wind.. couldnt of asked for a better day.

All of the stuff you guys said turned out to be true . The feeling after takeoff of holy **** i'm flying by myself without the lump :D next to me. It is unlike anything i've ever expereinced - driving on your own does not even come close to that feeling. I was still nervous and questioning everything i was doing several times over before having faith i was doing it correctly- prior to my first landing. However as soon as i touched down on that first landing all those worries went away - and i became focused - and started to have fun.

Due to the conditions and general stability of the c172 all of the landings were butter - no problems whatsoever. I had 40 hours of dual so i wasnt too inexperienced. On my final landing tower said congratulations because my school had told them i was flying my first solo. In addition ground also said congrats and then hoped i was wearing an old shirt. I looked down and it was covered in sweat and responded "well now its old!!" - I didnt know about the cut-the-shirt tradition.

My second solo flight which i had a few days later was a local solo. So i was flying out of Santa Monica into Simi Valley, over to malibu and back - doing some steep turns, stalls, slow flight, diversion etc. That was really fun because I was allowed to do exactly what i wanted to without being told - it was pure freedom (other than all the airspace regulations we have in la)

Earlier today I completed my solo X-country to santa barbara, camarillo and back. Everthing went well - i used flight following to get there and VORs to get back. Anyway I appreciate all the advice - it really is a great feeling and i cant wait to build my hours. I just graduated college and am looking forward to continue my pilot hobby. thanks again. i look forward to being more active on this forum.

Matt

I feel so bad about not answering for a week or two, ive had a few things going on.

It went great!! When I first posted I was a day away from doing my first traffic pattern solo. I did 4 of them - one more than required because the conditions were awesome. Pretty much no wind.. couldnt of asked for a better day.

All of the stuff you guys said turned out to be true . The feeling after takeoff of holy **** i'm flying by myself without the lump :D next to me. It is unlike anything i've ever expereinced - driving on your own does not even come close to that feeling. I was still nervous and questioning everything i was doing several times over before having faith i was doing it correctly- prior to my first landing. However as soon as i touched down on that first landing all those worries went away - and i became focused - and started to have fun.

Due to the conditions and general stability of the c172 all of the landings were butter - no problems whatsoever. I had 40 hours of dual so i wasnt too inexperienced. On my final landing tower said congratulations because my school had told them i was flying my first solo. In addition ground also said congrats and then hoped i was wearing an old shirt. I looked down and it was covered in sweat and responded "well now its old!!" - I didnt know about the cut-the-shirt tradition.

My second solo flight which i had a few days later was a local solo. So i was flying out of Santa Monica into Simi Valley, over to malibu and back - doing some steep turns, stalls, slow flight, diversion etc. That was really fun because I was allowed to do exactly what i wanted to without being told - it was pure freedom (other than all the airspace regulations we have in la)

Earlier today I completed my solo X-country to santa barbara, camarillo and back. Everthing went well - i used flight following to get there and VORs to get back. Anyway I appreciate all the advice - it really is a great feeling and i cant wait to build my hours. I just graduated college and am looking forward to continue my pilot hobby. thanks again. i look forward to being more active on this forum.

Matt

Great job! Sounds like you're getting close! :)

relax, do what you've been trained to do,... and enjoy every second of it.

It's an amazing feeling when you go to turn crosswind and realize your instructor isn't sitting there in the right seat. I was so focused on the Takeoff, that's when I realized I was up there all by myself, and it was a great feeling looking down on the airport while on Downwind Leg.

I had this exact same feeling -- right at crosswind i realized holy cow im on my own!

I was still nervous and questioning everything i was doing several times over before having faith i was doing it correctly- prior to my first landing. However as soon as i touched down on that first landing all those worries went away - and i became focused - and started to have fun.
That seems familiar...

:thumbsup:

Good job- and congratulations!!!

Back