My first real cross country Texas-Kansas-Colorado-Nebraska-Texas

cowtowner

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Cowtowner
Thought I'd post this here as I have lurked for a long time, and it's one of the few aviation Forums left in the world that's worth visiting.

My first flight was on a sunny day in 1995 in a pristine Cessna 150. Gawd, that airplane looked small. My flight instructor was an old Korean War Vet, had flown for Braniff Airlines and was now instructing for something to do. He was a small guy (and I weighed 150 back then) so we both were pretty comfortable in that small Cessna.

I was shocked, shocked I tell you, when he helped with the walk around and getting the pesky 150 to start, that he turned the controls over to me. I did most of the taxi (with him telling me to my hands in my lap to keep from “steering” the plane with the yoke), did the runup and then I did the unbelievable. I took off by myself (with him on the controls). I think they do this to hook you, and it did.

I made it through solo in 11 hours, short and long solo cross countries and ready for the final finish up when real life stepped in and stopped me going any further.

I tried again…..two more times. Both failed as the instructors/school weren’t a good fit. Charlie (my first instructor) really cared about his students. He also cared about making sure you were a safe pilot. These other two didn’t give two rats asses what type of pilot they were creating, they only cared about cashing the checks.

This past fall approaching my 54th time around the planet, I decided this was going to be the time that I finished this up. I am lucky, I have an airstrip that is literally half way between my office and home, ten minutes each way. There is a small, new flight school there run by a bunch of young kids trying to get hours to go to the airlines. I decided to try it out.

Travis was my instructor, a young 28 year old kid with 500 hours. He’s a good kid, but he has a lot of holes in his knowledge just from lack of experience. I filled those holes with my previous training, or on my own. Three months and 40 hours later I was a newly minted private pilot. Total time 114 hours. I was Travis’ first solo and his first checkride he signed off on. We became friends, and two weeks after my checkride he quit teaching and got a job flying pipeline. I may be his only student ever to pass a checkride if he keeps up the pipeline work.

A week before my checkride, Travis and I went to look at a Cherokee 180 at a nearby airport. The guy helping the owner sell it is a local A&P. Travis’ whole family is involved in aviation, his dad works at AA as an A&P and his brother is a pilot for a regional airlines. Mike showed us the airplane the day it was listed on BeechTalk and he said there had been 10 calls already on it.

1965 Cherokee 180 with 6000 hours and about 900 on the engine. Good equipment, leather seats, great paint, good auto pilot just no GPS. Seems Travis’ dad Allen knows Mike as they both worked together at AA for 20 years. We put them on the phone allowing Allen to ask about different aspects of the Cherokee (Allen has owned 3 over the years, and as they talked on the phone for about 45 minutes we crawled around N8820J looking at the plane. A young couple showed up during the time we were looking at the plane and I ended up talking with them for a while. He was a corporate pilot and he owned a Barron. He wanted to buy a plane for his wife to learn to fly.

Mike handed my phone back to me and Allen simply said “Buy it”

And that’s what I did. I had a full prebuy done where I helped for about 10 hours of it, learning about the plane. It was two weeks before I got to fly it, as I was studying for my checkride and weather issues. Allen and Travis flew it back to our home airport and a week later Travis took me up for 2 hours and checked me out in 20J.

It was only a matter of days before the shut downs began. Covid19 killed my business as it killed oil prices. The immediate plans to put a GPS in her was put on hold as well as moving right to my instrument training. I still flew, every week I went somewhere. I wanted to land in Arkansas, so I flew to a little airport across the border. A customer wanted to meet in Altus, I was on my way in 45 minutes. Georgetown had cheap gas? A flight down in the afternoon after work to fill up the tank.

I finally convinced my wife to go up in 20J, and while she was scared to death, she motored through. I then planned a weekend trip to Jefferson, a small tourist town in East Texas. We flew out early, spent the day shopping and seeing the sights and then got a B&B, stayed the night and flew back early the next morning.

All in all I had put 40 hours on 20J and she was needing an oil change. I scheduled to have my A&P come show me how to do the safety wire, but the rest of the time he watched and we BS’d about the riots going on around the country as I did all the dirty work. It was nice to be able to sign the log book.

Oil hit $40 last week. It was time to go see some customers.

I spent four full days planning this trip. Looking at different airports and FBO’s along the way. I would takeoff early, 6:30am wheels up, head to Liberal Kansas for fuel (and to see a customer), then on to Denver, Aurora Nebraska, Omaha, Kansas City, OKC then back home. I refreshed myself on Density Altitude, talked to Travis on my planning and got his blessing and then in minute detail, explained the trip to my wife. She is very smart, and knew a lot of the questions to ask. I read all the forums and Facebook groups on different Denver airports, and decided on KBJC. It isn’t as busy as KAPA and is about half way in between the two customers I need to meet.

There is a tropical storm moving into to Louisiana as I takeoff from T67. My latest weather briefing is telling me I am going to be in Denver for one extra day waiting on a system moving in from the west to move out the way. It is supposed to be 104 in Dallas on Tuesday and 67 in Denver. Decision made, I’ll wait it out and while “stuck” sitting at the hotel, catch up on some work and begin this trip report.

At exactly 6:29 Monday morning I texted my wife I was taking off. It was a beautiful clear morning in Texas and the winds favoring runway 32 making the departure to the north that much easier.

I climbed off the runway and called Fort Worth Approach for Flight Following and was told to squawk. I told him I was headed to Liberal at 4,500 feet and he actually cleared me into the Bravo (4000 ceiling above T67) but no way my little Cherokee could climb that fast. I would be out on a 6000 shelf before I could reach my cruising altitude.

The air was like glass, and I cruised along at about 120kts over the ground. Took some pictures, texted my wife a few times, even replied to a few emails. As I moved into southern Kansas, I climbed up to 6,500 and gave up a few knots of tailwind for smoother air and better clearance over the big windmill farms. I was handed off from controller to controller, who didn’t seem very busy, until I was within 10 miles of LBL. “Squawk VFR, airport 10 o’clock 10 miles.”

The wind in Liberal was blowing. No, it was howling. 28kts G 36 and the AWOS was reporting a 5,000 ft density altitude. The wind was straight down the runway though (if it wasn’t, I wouldn’t have been landing there)

It did get bumpy as I descended to pattern altitude, and I lined up on final and glanced down at Foreflight which showed my ground speed at 40 knots. I didn’t bother with the last degree of flaps and was having to keep in about 2200 rpm to maintain my glidepath and to keep the extra 5 or so MPH to account for the gusts.

I flared too soon and ended up dropping it in from higher than I would like to admit. The Cherokee will drop out of the sky if you reduce power to idle, I know this, it’s even more dramatic when the wind is blowing that hard. Didn’t hurt the plane, just my ego.

I taxied over to the FBO where they were fueling up a United flight and told me they’d fuel me up in a few minutes. Told them no rush and went inside for a bio break and where the gals gave me the keys to a very nice crew car. Nothing to sign, and if I didn’t say anything, I don’t even think she would have asked to make a copy of my drivers license.

I drove the half mile to my customers office, only to find it locked up and everybody gone. Crap. I left my card and a couple of ball caps tied to the front door, I hope they didn’t blow away.

I was back at the FBO within 5 minutes of leaving, and everybody stopped to ask if there was something wrong with the car. I explained my customers office is just around the corner and went and filled up my Yeti coffee cup, purchased a TShirt (nice shirt, only $10! I have started to collect them from the places I fly) and headed out to preflight the plane.

Yeah, I sat the bag down on the ground as I was checking the oil. I’m sure glad I still can run a little bit as I barely caught it before it ended up in Oz.

Tipped the line guy and I was off. Leaned out the mixture for best power and took off into the breeze. It didn’t take long to get off the ground, but the Coriolis effect was stout today. Once I was at about 75 feet off the runway I was crabbing almost 40 degrees just to stay over the runway centerline of Liberal’s 7,100 foot long runway.

I called Kansas City Center and started climbing to 8,500 feet for my leg into Denver’s Rocky Mountain Metro airport. Now, I don’t have a lot of experience dealing with controllers, but the ones around Dallas are always friendly, even when they are extremely busy (except for that one tower gal at Alliance Fort Worth who made us sit for a taxiway departure for 15 minutes during training, for no apparent reason). The KC and Denver controllers weren’t nearly as nice. When one Denver controller handed me off to the next one, he put me on a frequency that even on full squelch I couldn’t hear or they hear me. When I went back to ask for a different frequency, he told me that was the frequency I belonged on, get off of his.

Here is where Foreflight saved my butt, I looked up the frequency displayed in that sector and called them, explained the situation and they gave me a good frequency that I could hear and be heard.

The guy at Denver center however was excellent. He was very busy, and the route I was taking put me in a very busy practice area. He vectored me around some of that traffic and then said, cleared into the Bravo direct to the Jeffco VOR climb and maintain 9,500. That took me right over the top of KAPA. The little Cherokee that could started it’s slow 1000 foot climb at a robust 250 ft a minute. No sooner than I burned the gas to gain that altitude he had me descend back to 8,500 for traffic.

It was around 11:00am in Denver, and it was beginning to get bumpy. Even the United flights coming in were bitching about the bumps. I had one updraft that took me from 8,500 to 9,300 in a matter of seconds it seemed. (where was that updraft when I was climbing!) I told Center I was trying to maintain my altitude and he laughed and said “Welcome to Denver!”

It was a crystal blue day in Denver and I could see the airport from 15 miles away, once I informed center that I had the weather and the airport he put me over to tower.

Tower put me in a right downwind for 12R and cleared me number 2 behind a Cirrus that was actually at my 8 o’clock and two miles. I had the Cirrus in sight and know they are a lot faster than the mighty Cherokee, but he was going to have to haul balls to get in front of me. I slowed 20J down a little and slowly descended to pattern altitude.

The Cirrus did a long base in front of me and I turned to my left a little to give him some more space. I extended my downwind and because of my fear of crossing over into the upwind of parallel runways, my base consisted of a 180 degree turn back to final. There were military cargo planes doing touch and go’s on 12L and I damned sure didn’t want to get in their way.

The landing was uneventful and I made the turnout and had to wait while a bunch of military planes did their training touch and go’s before I was cleared to cross over and go to ground. They gave me progressive taxi instructions into Signature and gave me their frequency (which was different than the one published on Foreflight) and I was marshalled in away from all the fancy Jets parked on their ramp. Before I could get 20J shut down my rental car was waiting for me.

I had a bunch of crap, and it took a few minutes to get the car loaded up and off the ramp. This was my first experience of having a car meet me on the ramp, and I have to say, it was pretty cool.

I headed off to my appointments and had a very very productive day. I knew that the storms coming could delay my trip out of Denver, but I had accounted for the delay in my planning. This morning I awoke to rain and 2500 ceilings. I could have flown up to my appointment in Greeley and based there for the day, but I called Signature and Go Car, and extended for a day. As I write this, it’s crystal blue sky, but the wind is howling here in Denver.

Tomorrow I will be up bright and early and headed east to Nebraska, where the wind is supposed to be howling.

I went to the airport at 6:00am on Wednesday morning, the skies were clear and the wind calm. I had come to the airport Tuesday and taxi’ed it over to the self-service pumps and filled the tanks. I loaded the plane, preflighted and called for taxi clearance from ground.

I headed over to the runup area of 12L and there were already two on the ramp, I did my runup and leaned out for best power. By the time I got to the runway, I was number 5 for takeoff. Seems the bad weather the day before pushed people to get the flying in early today.

There were already plenty of folks in the pattern on 12R doing touch and go’s as I eased the throttle forward and left the ground after a 1500 foot ground roll. I immediately heard it, the whoosh of air from the door. My latch is finiky, and sometimes even when “locked” it doesn’t take. I usually try to open the door during my preflight, but didn’t this time. I called tower and told them I would need a closed pattern to come back around. He wasn’t too thrilled but clearned me to land and expedited me to turn my base early.

Great landing and pulled off at the first taxiway and back to ground to wait in line again after I got the door situated.

I took off the second time and got my departure to the north and an almost immediate call to change frequency. I called up approach and got my flight following to the NE to Aurora Nebraska (KAUH).

There wasn’t much traffic on the northbound route under the Class B, and it wasn’t long before I was out under the shelf and over to Center. I climbed up to 7,500 feet and watched as the AGL numbers on my Foreflight grew by the minute. There was an Airmet for turbulence along my route and I was debating climbing higher. I told myself if I got more than the occasional bump, I would climb and give up some of my tailwind.

It was a nearly perfect ride the whole way. Guys up in the FL and even some guys at 12,000 were getting bounced around. I gave a PIREP along the way to let them know that 7,500 was glass.

I was carefully looking at the winds at my destination. They were howling 21-28 at 210. The Runway was 34 for we had a 13-18kt crosswind component. I had landed in similar, but not at an unfamiliar field. KGRI was only 15 nm away, and had a runway lined up with the winds. I would give it one shot, if I felt uncomfortable, I’d go around and head to KGRI and land there and borrow their car to drive to see my customer. Once I decended out of 7,500, the ride got rough, like full bunking bronco rough. I got her settled down 500 feet above pattern altitude and made my way towards a 45 degree intercept for a downwind.

My pattern sucked as the crosswind blew me over the numbers even with a 45 degree crab in and I ended up doing a teardrop entrance to a long final to get setup for the crosswind. Took my time, made sure I was keeping my speed up and flared at the perfect time with the right correction and pulled the throttle to idle. The mighty Cherokee kissed the ground and I immediately headed to the first taxiway and to the tie off area.

I was really glad for the functioning parking brake to allow me the time to dig out my straps and get 20J chocked and strapped down to the tie offs while the wind blew my ball cap to Kansas.

I walked right into a 1950’s tv show entering the FBO. Old TV, old CRT computer monitor, but a newer courtesy car with only 45,000 miles. The airport manager was very friendly and when I enquired if I could keep the car overnight, he told me “no problem, don’t expect anyone else in today.”

I didn’t know how long I was going to stay, my customer wanted to go to dinner so I was leaving it up to him. I headed out for my customer’s warehouse and had a great meeting. We ended up going to lunch and spending about two hours talking about different things when I decided to head back to the airport and plan my next stop.

I had a tentative meeting in KCMO on Thursday that I needed to check on, and possible meetings in OKC as well.

I went back to the FBO, logged on to the their WiFi and proceeded to do some work and make some calls. My meetings for Thursday were not looking like I could pin down a definitive answer on whether it would be worth my time to divert there. I continued to watch the winds, when I arrived back from lunch, they were blowing 30 G 38 with the same crosswind component. Looking at the weather for Thursday morning, it was calm and up at 5500 going south I’d have a 8 kt headwind, while today I’d have between 20 and a 25 kt tailwind.

I called the local motel and checked on pricing and availability (they wanted as much as I paid in Denver for a Fairfield) and was chatting with my CFI via text. He told me “yeah, it’s going to be a little bumpy, but you are benefiting from that tailwind. If you feel safe taking off, go for it.”

I made some more calls and the wind had calmed back down to 18G24 and I decided to fuel up and head south. I had plenty of options along the way to land and get a room if it got too bumpy along the way.

The takeoff was great, but at 500’ AGL when I was turning my crosswind the bumps started, and it was similar to the rodeo ride on my way in. I steadily climbed out through the bumps, keeping my airspeed a little higher than normal to make sure I had a margin.

I climbed up to 7500 and it was choppy. The was a scattered layer at 8,500 so I decided to see if I could climb over it and find some smooth air. I got to 9,500 and then inched her up to 10,000 still trying to find smooth air and it was actually rougher up there than back at 7500. I descended back below the layer and trimmed her up and put George to work headed south.

It wasn’t a bad chop, just a now and then jar where I would disengage the AP and let her bounce around a little. I turned on some tunes and listened to the heavy traffic going in and out of Wichita Kansas and then was vectored through a MOA that was hot with some trainers doing some rapid altitude changes. Over the top of OKC, and due to the tailwind I was home in 3.7 hours.

Hicks was busy, as normal, with about 7 people in and around the field. The approach controller canceled me at about DTO and said “Be careful, multiple bogeys out there”

Got on the local frequency and seemed only half of them were talking on the radio. I worked my way into the pattern and made a great landing with another 8kt crosswind. My flight instructor and his dad were at the hangar moving planes around, my good luck as I got some help unloading the plane and pushing it into it’s spot.

I was tired but was ecstatic that the trip went so well.

I'll post pictures later, sorry about the formatting, copied from Word and must have messed up the character breaks in the first couple of posts

I enjoyed your write-up(s). Your decision making is good, and it sounds like you will get a lot of use out of your new ticket! Congratulations.

-Skip

great write up. keep em coming

Test on pictures

Attachments

• 2020-06-08 06.44.17.jpg
    2020-06-08 06.44.17.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 12
In Denver area, and didn't tell us, didn't mention it before the trip? We haven't had a POA get-together since Mark & the Monkey were here...how many years ago?

Pshaw on you. Pshaw, I say, pshaw.

Yeah, the cherokee is incredibly stable, even in bumps.

I thought about posting, but I didn’t want to jinx it. Thanks to all the posters here, they helped a great deal and didn’t even know it. I read every thread on here and BeechTalk about APA and BJC. It helped me make the decision to go to BJC.
I have a few customers in Denver and plan to make the trip again soon. Hopefully more places to eat and gather will be opened up. It was slim pickings in Broomfield for a place to sit down and eat.

Attachments

• FD742FB4-463B-448C-AEF3-6C26BB98AD83.jpeg
    FD742FB4-463B-448C-AEF3-6C26BB98AD83.jpeg
    105.8 KB · Views: 8
And a big shoutout to Go Rentals and Signature. They both took good care of me at BJC

Attachments

• D8C6104C-795B-452B-9882-9472B0DD8EE2.jpeg
    D8C6104C-795B-452B-9882-9472B0DD8EE2.jpeg
    67.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 6D55F47C-558F-4EE4-B03A-FFF87FEF18D4.jpeg
    6D55F47C-558F-4EE4-B03A-FFF87FEF18D4.jpeg
    96.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 644A4DB9-7A5F-47B8-A8F6-B7CA604906FF.jpeg
    644A4DB9-7A5F-47B8-A8F6-B7CA604906FF.jpeg
    59.4 KB · Views: 9
  • E65AB645-AC07-4D02-A394-46CF470790AC.jpeg
    E65AB645-AC07-4D02-A394-46CF470790AC.jpeg