My first plane!

ryoung99

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Rick
I am just days away from getting my first bird, 1979 Grumman Tiger. The plane is virtually perfect and has been maintained by one of the best for the past 13 years. Not sure I could be any more excited! Just wanted to share.

Is this a tricK?:wink2:

4era5udy.jpg

udy8e2yz.jpg

Here she is...

That's awesome! Congratulations to you. :happydance:

I'm hoping I'm just a few months away from ownership myself. I go nuts daily thinking about it. Chompin' at the bit.

Looks like a nice one. I think Tigers are good first airplanes, and in many cases provide sufficient capability to be the only plane an owner ever needs.

Definitely a nice looking plane. Congratulations! Hope you enjoy it.

Ownership is a lot of fun.

That's exactly the type of plane that I'm after. I gave up on looking for a Glassair II that I could fit in, or an RV-7a that didn't worry me.

Great plane!

Check your PM's. I need to pick your brain :)

Last edited:
Awesome job. Good pick. Now for full ownership experience and satisfaction, go get a hangar for that bird!:thumbsup:

Thanks everyone, I have not even taken possession and have already started spending, JPM upgrade (730) and Powerflow exhaust. Now time to start my IFR.

That's a cool paint job too - I love the style to the tail number. Not often you see art with the tail number.

It's actually green with silver stripes.
4u6agy7e.jpg

Almost a Lotus green. I like it.

Thanks

Nice looking plane, congrats!! I bought into a Cheetah partnership recently and have zero regrets. Enjoy the extra speed of the Tiger!

having an airplane is great. Enjoy it!!!

Nice ride! I have known two pilots who flew Grummans and loved them. I got the chance to handle one and was very impressed. Great choice for a first plane. Have a blast!!!!

Thank you for all the kinds words. The Tiger fit the mission better than any other plane out there and I have always wanted one (maybe a self fulfilling prophecy).

I was very fortunate to find this one, the fleet is aging and it is getting a bit harder to find a low time airframe that has been taken care of and restored. I am still a fan of steam gauges so I love the panel, although I would like to upgrade the 430 to GTN 750 in the very near future. We have already added a JPM 730 (replacing the 700) and in a couple of months will put on a Powerflow exhaust.

The best part is the useful load should last me through both of my daughters growing up (11 and 3) in the current configuration with full fuel as a family we are still 211 pounds under Gross, so the two of them can still put on some 100 pounds and still leave us room for 100 pounds of baggage. Which means barring a lottery win, this Tiger should be in our lives for some time.

As a weekend pilot, I am not sure I need anything more complex or faster (please remind me of that statement when you see her for sale because I am buying a Columbia).

Thanks again for all the kind comments.
Rick

If you haven't already contacted Fletchair, now would be a good time. They are the Grumman specialsts, and all around nice folk.

Hopefully your plane has had the prop changed to remove the yellow arc. If not, that's the number one thing to have done. Fletchair has all the glass bits that usually come apart of get damaged by sun. Replacing the gear fairings, rudder cap, wing tips and stuff makes the old ones look real nice. If your's are still ok, your lucky.

Congrats Rick. Great looking Tiger. I don't think you will regret it!

Awesome looking plane! I have to admit, I'm guilty of wondering the same question as Kimberly. I almost Googled it, but refrained this time... :lol:

I like the short call number. Makes ATC communication easier,I am always 7 2 Tango, no abbreviation needed.

Back