My first osh experience ( uber long)

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
Oshkosh! Wow where to begin?
My good friend and fellow POAer Alon (Armageddon Aviator) kicked around the idea for some time that one of these years will both go to Osh together as a great adventure. Alon and I Skype pretty regularly, usually several times per week, I don't know what made me suggest it but during, one of our Skype sessions in the late fall or early winter I said, let's find Osh this year. It really didn't take much convincing, and I think in all of about 4 seconds Alon was researching places to stay in the Oshkosh area. This is really more than just a trip for us to Airventure it was an opportunity for two friends who live 6000 miles apart to embark on a great adventure involving our mutual passion of aviation.

The planning was pretty intense, Alon had to figure out the most cost-effective way to get from Tel Aviv to Philadelphia ( Thankfully USAirways fly’s direct) and to arrange lodging and I had to figure out how to get our butts from Philadelphia out the Oshkosh general aviation seemed the obvious route, I later learned that this was not really the best idea when we really had to be there. I had to find aircraft that could carry not only my fat butt but also Alons and Alon's best friend Alex, who planned to travel with him from Israel, along with our luggage flight bags, camp chairs etc. It was obviously going to be a fuel to the tabs type of trip. The best I could come find was a 430 equipped Archer base about 30 minutes north of me at Pennridge Airport. I never rented from the outfit before so I to arrangements to get checked out and then arrangements for Alon to get checked out once he arrived in the U.S. so that he could fly part of the trip. Tragically, only two months before Alon and Alex were due to depart for the United States Alex was diagnosed with a very difficult form of brain cancer and was sadly unable to make the trip.:( I reiterated to Alon during several of our Skype sessions that if he wanted to cancel it was perfectly understandable, and we would go another year. Alon felt that Alex’s illness made it even more important that he completed trip for not only himself but for Alex.

The planning for this trip reminded me of my planning for cross countries when I was a newly minted private pilot. I reviewed which airports we would stop at, the longest legs that we would take the things that we would see along the way and Generally how much fun we would have not a Skype session or Viber call went by without some mention of our plans for Osh and what a great adventure this would be.

Finally, July 17, the day Alon was to depart Tel Aviv for Philadelphia arrived. We commented during our Skype session the day that we couldn't believe that he was actually here that we've been planning for well over six months. I have to admit it was a bit surreal seeing Alon walk out of the customs area into the international arrivals lounge at Philadelphia International at 6 AM having Skyped with him several times each week, but not having seen him for two years. Our first stop was of course a good hearty breakfast at a diner, which are nonexistent in Israel. (Diners that is, not breakfast) the next few days were a bit harried as I still had to work and Alon had to get to Philadelphia FSDO to get his US pilot certificate based upon his Israeli certificate. He reported that the FAA made it a pleasantly smooth transaction. Next step was to get him to Pennridge Airport and checked out the archer after the CFI Bob was confident that he would not wrinkle the plane or kill me he was signed off on Saturday, July 21, and good to go for our Sunday morning, July 22 departure. The remainder of the afternoon was spent packing and stepping on the scale with the bags and repacking and stepping on the scale stepping on the scale and stepping on the scale with everything from the flight bag to our clothing to the snacks and beverages we planned to sustain us on the trip.

Both the TV weather guy and NOAA forecast the departure day to be sunny and clear and more than acceptable for a trip. We sprang out of bed early on Sunday morning and were met with 200 foot overcast ceilings but not to fret they eventually rose to 800 feet by 11 or Noon. NOAA, FSS and others basically reported that mountainous central and western Pennsylvania was impassable VFR.

We drove to the airport hoping that the pilgrimage to the airport would appease the Wx G-ds and things would improve. However; I realized that by noon we were going to have to scrub for the day. I considered a Monday launch, but then it looked like there was weather just west of Osh that would be in between us and Osh on monday. Even if we got as far as the Chicago area it looks like we would be stuck. We weighed heavily the consequences of risking it on Monday. I can't begin to tell you, the sick feeling in my stomach and the overwhelming guilt I was beginning to feel. I silently wished that the weather would deteriorate to an absolutely miserable level to justify my decision. Here my friend had traveled almost 6000 miles and spent an enormous amount of money just to get to Philadelphia said that he and I could fly GA to Osh, and now there was a reasonable chance that we were not going to make it. I felt incredibly responsible but kept telling myself it was better to feel guilty than to be dead, to be honest however; it didn't make me feel any better.

We raced home to see if we could find another way to get to Osh perhaps commercial tickets. For some odd reason, we stopped for lunch, while the food was great. I really didn't enjoy it as I kept second-guessing my decision as of course by the time we arrived back home the ceiling started to rise. Of course they were still pretty crappy in central western Pennsylvania, with lots of mountain obscuration, but when you're standing under scattered skies that knowledge doesn't help the ego much. After lunch we got back to the house, and I fired up the laptop, logged onto kayak and looked for a flight to Milwaukee. Success or so I thought, I could fly Delta from Philadelphia to Milwaukee, changing planes in Detroit for only $412 per ticket. Certainly less than half of the flight in the archer would've cost and then kayak redirected me to the Delta site which promptly informed me that the price of the ticket changed and was now over $1400. That price hit me like a softball hit squarely to face and I figured that in about five minutes I was going to be telling Alon to throw the bags in the car and we’d fuel up and point the car Westward toward Wisconsin. I figured if we threw every snack left in our cabnet in the car and share the driving, only stopping for fuel and to take a leak by the side of the road we could probably make it to Osh by noon the next day. Of course, we would probably have been unconscious for the next 24 hours thereafter but we would be unconscious at Osh, we'd be there.
I tried kayak, one more and like finding $4.00 Av AirTran had a $411 round-trip tickets to Milwaukee………………… via Atlanta, of course. We realize if we straightened out our flight route. We could have gone past Denver but it didn’t matter I happily clicked the purchase button.

Now following is one way, the pilots of America really adds value to anyone in our community. I just figured that Alon's friend Aviv, who commercial to Osh from Israel would pick us up in the car which he rented. Little did I know that it was two hours from Appleton, where we were staying to the Milwaukee airport. I pinged Kent Shook, to find out what local transportation options there were, in Philadelphia. You can take a train from the airport to almost anywhere in the suburbs and beyond. Not so in Milwaukee. Kent offered to give us what he calls his standard welcome to Wisconsin treatment and said that he would meet us at the Milwaukee airport in the mooney which he is selling for his uncle's estate (side note: this is one sweet Mooney and whoever buys it is going to be very happy). When Alon and I walked out of the airport, the signature van was waiting for us right in front of the doors, we hopped in the car rode over to the FBO and there was Kent in the lobby. After picking up the $40 tab at the FBO
(Really, can someone tell me what is so special about Milwaukee international Airport a Class C, that they charge $40 for sitting on the ramp for 14 minutes . Well the desk guy was nice enough and it really wasn't his fault so we happily paid after all we were headed to Osh) So knowing that it was likely that I will be back at Osh long before Alon I insisted that he sit up front for the Osh approach. As a pilot, you know how difficult it is to sit in the backseat but let me tell you how comfortable it was, not only because the plane was comfortable but because Kent is such an accomplished pilot. He really flew that thing like a pro. I couldn't believe that we were actually flying the Osh arrival. A HUGE thank you to Kent!! As we touched down exactly where the controller instructed us I think I became a bit apoplectic at the sight of all those aircraft in one place, high wings, low wings, twins, singles, float planes, tricycle gear, tail wheel and on and on and on.

We helped Kent pushed the Mooney back into the parking spot where he'd set up camp in the north 40. The reality that we were actually there had still not fully set in. I saw the north 40 and I thought that, that was Airventure, that that was the show. Then we walked over to the north 40 air venture booths to get our wrist as Kent waited to get his media pass Alon I strolled through the warbirds. I immediately saw Steve See’s IAR, I've never seen so many T-34s, T-6s, chipmunks and bird dogs in one place. It was a special treat to see the C46 as that is the plane my wife’s uncle flew over the hump in WWII. Off in the distance we saw the tower with the banner world's busiest control tower and that's when Ken told us that the actual show was beyond control tower. Unbelievable

I know a lot of you felt that Osh was a little off this year that it wasn't as big that there weren’t as many planes or attendees, but frankly, I think Alon and I felt like we were drinking from a firehose. His friend Aviv described it as one of the greatest moments in his life. We could not believe how close we were to the air show. The deep rumbling thunder of the F-4 as it pulled up from its low pass had somewhat of a Pavlovian effect on me, I drooling, of course it could have been me lusting after the fruit smoothie Alon was drinking in the 105° heat .

While what appeared to be to be an incomprehensible amount of aircraft and awesome airshows made Osh actually spectacular. For me, what made Osh. Even more than that was what one makes every POA flying that I've attended be it the FlyBQ, Gastons, 6Y9er and Windwood a great event. And that's the people. The EAA estimates that there were 500,000+ people there and in the four days that I was there. I did not see one napkin, soft drink cup or other piece of trash flitting across the ground in any of the vendor, airshow or camping areas. The bathrooms were spotless and campsites tidy. I can't fathom any other type of festival with people who are so courteous and thoughtful of those around them. Of course, the POA people made it that much better. I’ve become very good friends with Alon over the years and I think one or two of you may have met him two years ago at wings when the was last here. I was eager for all of you to meet him and his friend Aviv who by the way has since signed up on pilots of America. Both commented to me what gracious and hospitable people POAers are, Whether it was at Grant and Leslie's camp sholler cookout or Jay's HOPS party. There is something very special when people gather with Airplanes, something that most of the population will never know. I’m privileged to say that I do:D. And that was my Osh experience.

I guess next year I’ll have to see the other half of the show :wink2:

Last edited:
Ahh, thanks for posting this Adam. It brings memories of my first visit to OSH and the complete sensory overload of all those airplanes in one place, and reminds me why I still go.

It also reminds me of Kent showing me around that first night and pointing out that the "city" hadn't closed down, and that nightfall is just when the residents of the temporary city come out to meet, greet, and enjoy each other's company.

Down year or not, Oshkosh... There really is nothing like it on Earth.

Adam, thanks for sharing. I'm sorry that my wife and I didn't get to introduce ourselves at the PoA dinner. We did get to say hi to Alon and Aviv though. Glad you enjoyed the trip and that it worked out for you guys.

Ahh, thanks for posting this Adam. It brings memories of my first visit to OSH and the complete sensory overload of all those airplanes in one place, and reminds me why I still go.

It also reminds me of Kent showing me around that first night and pointing out that the "city" hadn't closed down, and that nightfall is just when the residents of the temporary city come out to meet, greet, and enjoy each other's company.

Down year or not, Oshkosh... There really is nothing like it on Earth.

I stated the same thing on the down year post previously. For those first timers or the 7th time for my soon to be 10 year old it's an incredible experience.

It's still an incredible experience for me to witness this! It may have been a down year but it's an experience you will not find anywhere else. A true family experience, where else can you ride your bike with your son and father to the airshow, outdoor movie or for fun around your campsite at camp scholler.

Down year or not, those memories will always be with me!

Adam,
It was great to see you again, and wonderful to meet Alon and Aziz. Even a down year at OSH will blow away any first-timer. I admit I did see some blowing trash, but I picked it up! :). Sometimes the wind just takes those napkins right off your plate.

I wish I would have had more time to chat with the Israelis (and everyone else, of course). Seeing pals was indeed the best part of the trip. Adam's post reminds me how fortunate I am, that I can reach this amazing event after a relatively short GA flight.

I guess next year I’ll have to see the other half of the show :wink2:

Great writeup, AZ!

By the way, if you there for 4 days, and this was your first time there, you probably only saw 1/10th of the show. ;)

Dude, white space and paragraphs ! :)

The softwear does not permit whitespace and I've got all the paragraphs I want.:wink2:

Really?

You can't add CR white space?

That's is a surprise to me.

I am guessing you are posting with a 3rd party SW solution, perhaps?

:D:D:D

Really?

You can't add CR white space?

That's is a surprise to me.

I am guessing you are posting with a 3rd party SW solution, perhaps?

:D:D:D

No just a pathetic attempt at humor all of our back grounds are blue :) Sorry I'm in a whacky mood.

Adam, thank you for the post. It was your backyard BBQ efforts that made me want to organize my very first event (a non BBQ at my airport on the fourth of July). I had almost 20 pilots show up!

Thank you for all that you do, my next event is in a few weeks at Shelter Cove, I love the POA fly-ins, and I hope to learn how to do a good enough one over here that one day all of you East Coasters will come to join us!!!

Wonderful write-up! No doubt you and Alon had an excellent adventure!

Gary

Adam,

Sounds like a great time! Thanks for sharing the write up, maybe one day I'll get there.

Kent offered to give us what he calls his standard welcome to Wisconsin treatment and said that he would meet us at the Milwaukee airport in the mooney which he is selling for his uncle's estate (side note: this is one sweet Mooney and whoever buys it is going to be very happy). When Alon and I walked out of the airport, the signature van was waiting for us right in front of the doors, we hopped in the car rode over to the FBO and there was Kent in the lobby. After picking up the $40 tab at the FBO (Really, can someone tell me what is so special about Milwaukee international Airport a Class C, that they charge $40 for sitting on the ramp for 14 minutes . Well the desk guy was nice enough and it really wasn't his fault so we happily paid after all we were headed to Osh) So knowing that it was likely that I will be back at Osh long before Alon I insisted that he sit up front for the Osh approach. As a pilot, you know how difficult it is to sit in the backseat but let me tell you how comfortable it was, not only because the plane was comfortable but because Kent is such an accomplished pilot. He really flew that thing like a pro. I couldn't believe that we were actually flying the Osh arrival. A HUGE thank you to Kent!!

You're welcome! After all the crap we gave you in the thread about flying into Appleton, it's the least I could do. ;)

Hi everybody,

Indeed, Oshkosh was an unforgettable experience, an incredible sensory overload of unimaginable magnitude...:)

Thousands of magnificent airplanes everywhere, breathtaking aerobatics and friendly people...what more can you expect ?

Coming from a tiny country with barely 2000 active pilots, Oshkosh was like an aviation Disneyland for us - totally amazing.

It was great meeting the POA folks, thanks a lot for the hospitality and the excellent food :yesnod:

As you already know, I didn't get to fly GA to Oshkosh except for that last leg from Milwaukee - thanks Kent - I owe you one.
I did manage to get a US license (based on my Israeli PPL) and got checked out on that nice Archer II - so it's only a matter of time before we plan a new adventure - hopefully the weather will be a bit more cooperative this time...

It's been a while since I've had that much fun :D

Back