My first "official" Young Eagle

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
http://picasaweb.google.com/troy.whistman/EagleFlightWithHaley/photo#s5184884154101274146

There are videos at the end. I can't figure out how to put them in "sequence" with the rest of the story.

I've flown other kids before, but this was the first time I had Young Eagles certificates and paperwork on me and was able to convert a flight with a friend's granddaughter into an official "name in the logbook". Of course, she thought receiving a certificate signed by Chuck Yeager was REALLY COOL.

I hope you enjoy the photo essay as much as I enjoyed giving Haley this flight--she was terrific. It seems the kids give us back so much more than we give them...

Awesome pictures, Troy! I really enjoyed viewing them and thinking how cool it will be to join the program in the near future. If anything, these have definitely inspired me to become more involved in the Young Eagle program when I have the money to fly future aviators for their first flight.

Troy, it sounds like all of you had a great flight! Taking Young Eagles is one of my favorite things to do with my flying. I feel like I'm giving back to aviation when I take these kids.

When I let them fly the airplane, the look on their faces is priceless. Sometimes they say "Wow! I'm flying an airplane!" They usually mention that part in their thank-you notes too.

I took 15 kids a few days ago. Several of us are taking 40 more tomorrow if the weather is kind to us. Yesterday I got a box of supplies from EAA, and it looks like Harrison Ford is on the latest certificates. EAA also sent those blue wrist bands that say "Fly Free" that the kids love to wear.

Here are a few pictures from the other day:

Attachments

• YE 2.JPG
    YE 2.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 15
  • YE 3.JPG
    YE 3.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 15
  • YE 5.JPG
    YE 5.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 15
  • YE 7.JPG
    YE 7.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 18
  • YE 12.JPG
    YE 12.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 15
  • YE 13.JPG
    YE 13.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 22
When I let them fly the airplane, the look on their faces is priceless. Sometimes they say "Wow! I'm flying an airplane!" They usually mention that part in their thank-you notes too.

Great pics, Diana! I hope you get to fly tomorrow.

Speaking of "thank you notes", I let the KIDS write the "comments" entry in my logbook for their flight... They love signing the logbook, and it becomes a trip down memory lane for me, with their observations and "thank you's" about the flight.

[Actually, I do that for most of my flying guests, not just the kids!]

Congratulations Troy.

Anyone that flew 10 or more YE last year has their name listed in this months issue of Sport Aviation.

Awesome Troy. The photos and captions were great and it looks like a wonderful flight!

yea i need to do this sometime. what i really need to do is find someone who let me use their airplane at no charge to fly young eagles. looks like fun!

I finally got to watch through it. Pretty neat, Troy. Maybe you sparked something for the future.

I think she enjoyed the flight. Got this in the mail today:

haley2.jpg

On the flip side:

haley1.jpg

That just made my day...

I think she enjoyed the flight. Got this in the mail today:
Troy, Haley's thank-you note is really precious. It is also a reminder of what a wonderful thing you did for her and how special it was to her. Sometimes it’s hard to tell with kids how they really feel about a flight like that and how it affects them. A thank-you note or follow up conversation with their parents can be quite illuminating.

Thanks for sharing her note.

You think we have a future flight instructor here? She wants to teach her counsins (sic) to fly.

Back