My first medical.

U

Unregistered

OK Dr. Bruce,

I have had a surgery for a deviated septum a year ago. Back in 01, I had a bad headache and the doctor gave me esgic, still have most of the prescription, no problems since.

I have had alergies/asthma to mold and tree pollen and use an albuterol inhaler a few of times a year.

Had a DWI of .013 back in 1999 or 01 I have to look it up...I don't think the time matters much at this point.

I am wondering if any of these things alone, or the combination of them are disqualifying?

What do you think?

OK, just read through some other posts, and went searching for my records.

Turns out is was in 2002, and I blew .015

Now what do I do?

OK did some more reading.

I will be deferred because of the .15. So how long does this process usually take?

Is there a list of approved addictionologists?

How should I be approaching this whole mess at this point?

OK, just read through some other posts, and went searching for my records.

Turns out is was in 2002, and I blew .015

Now what do I do?

You can serve as a warning to other aspiring pilots.

Dr. Bruce should be able to advise you, but based on other cases like yours that were discussed on the various forums, the road before you is long and the destination is uncertain.

0.15 means you have to go to a midlevel addiction assessor- a masters level guy for about $200 who does the assessment; takes about 3 hours. Look in the Yellow pages under Alcohol(ism) and/or counseling. They are licensed by your state.
Driving record, going back at least 10 years (to prove it is your one and only).
Personal Statement
Court records of the arrest, including the officer's description of your behavior.

Oddly enough, the worse you do at any given BAC the better off you are- they are looknig for signs of TOLERANCE, e.g, better than expected behavior at any BAC. Tolerance is presumptive chronic abuse.

If everything is negative, and you have a good AME who will call on the submission, you can get issued in about 10 days. But that is a big IF. Usual review times without the prodding of an AME is about 10 weeks.

If you bring this to a HIMS AME (direct line to the Federal Air Surgeon) he'll tell you if you can be issued and probably get telephonic authority to issue......(There are only 120 of us).

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back