my first high performance complex flight today!!!

trackersocha

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
trackersocha
today was my first flight in something that flies faster than 100 mph!
Comanche 250, that thing is fun and fast! should have the checkout done sometime next week, but I might extend it just to fly more!:goofy:

Great plane, huh?

I've owned mine 5 years now and love it. Some days you have pinch yourself to be sure you are not dreaming when you fly a Comanche....

Other planes are great too but the Comanche just calls me in a way that few other aircraft do.

If you have time in a Cherokee or warrior then you noticed the speeds are nearly identically 10 mph more for every number....makes for easy transition.

Remember that and Gumps, Gumps, Gumps and you will be ok.

You will no doubt come down some day too high and too fast and sore past your airport a few miles to slow down and at traffic pattern altitude but you get the hang of it soon enough.

6 months into my 250. Still can't believe I own such a beautiful flying machine.

today was my first flight in something that flies faster than 100 mph!
Comanche 250, that thing is fun and fast! should have the checkout done sometime next week, but I might extend it just to fly more!:goofy:
And once you get 50 or so hours in it, it will soon become a slow airplane to you :D.

it's not mine, but I still love it. I am on the fast track for a Saratoga. thinking I might rethink that for a Comanche though. that is one sweet airplane!

Saratoga is a fine plane but they never should have let you fly a Comanche....

You will not like the Saratoga after feeling the Comanche....its almost like going from a Firebird to a Van.

Comanche 260B was my first high performance ride. Loved that airplane.

Tighten me up....I have long forgotten GUMPS.....Gas Undercarriage Manifold Prop Smiley face? :)

the Comanche is the schnitzel, it is so in tune, I have right seat time in a beech18, this is better. I think I want a Comanche

Love my 260B. Wish it was Turbo and/or FIKI though...

Turbo is great when you need it. I get an extra 22 knots at 11k'

Now all my flights are short and local so I don't use it as much.

Tighten me up....I have long forgotten GUMPS.....Gas Undercarriage Manifold Prop Smiley face? :)

Gas
Undercarriage
Mixture
Prop
Switches/Seatbelts

For my plane I use:

• Gas - Fullest Main
  • Undercarriage - Down and locked, three greens, no red
  • Mixture - Set and checked (At high altitudes, rich isn't what's wanted.)
  • Prop - Max RPM, I usually delay this until short final to be a good neighbor wrt noise
  • Switches/Seatbelts - Landing lights ON, Strobe ON, shoulder harnesses ON.

Typically I run the GUMPS check several times starting at the IAF or downwind. That's because the first few times when I get to the prop part I usually say "NOT YET". I don't push the blue knob forward until FAF or short final. The final GUMPS check reminds me to do that. I also keep my hand on the gear knob until all three greens are showing, reminds me to check down and locked. At several points in the pattern or approach, I actually touch the green lights and say "Three greens, no red, safe to continue". Really would hate to land gear up..

Last edited:

Or, as my instructor told me:

Gear
Undercarriage
Make sure the wheels are down
Put the gear down
See the wheels?

Gas
Undercarriage
Mixture
Prop
Switches/Seatbelts

For my plane I use:

• Gas - Fullest Main
  • Undercarriage - Down and locked, three greens, no red
  • Mixture - Set and checked (At high altitudes, rich isn't what's wanted.)
  • Prop - Max RPM, I usually delay this until short final to be a good neighbor wrt noise
  • Switches/Seatbelts - Landing lights ON, Strobe ON, shoulder harnesses ON.

Typically I run the GUMPS check several times starting at the IAF or downwind. That's because the first few times when I get to the prop part I usually say "NOT YET". I don't push the blue knob forward until FAF or short final. The final GUMPS check reminds me to do that. I also keep my hand on the gear knob until all three greens are showing, reminds me to check down and locked. At several points in the pattern or approach, I actually touch the green lights and say "Three greens, no red, safe to continue". Really would hate to land gear up..

Thanks!

GUMPF.

Still getting used to electric flaps. I'm not so sure this was such a great technological advancement over a good ol' Johnson bar.

Back