My first Gastons experience

flyer

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
flyer
This was my first Gastons experience this year and it was great! I first want to thank Jesse and Diana for taking the time and effort to take me flying. They are both great pilots. I really wanted to fly down this year, I had the plane fueled up and loaded with baggage ready to go, but mother nature had other plans for my trip. So I made the 5 hr drive down which was a good decision because I don't think I could have handled that much winds.

When I first arrived I didn't know any faces, except for Markb and he was up flying. So the first few people I introduced myself to kinda gave a cold shoulder with the attitude of "who are you and what are you doing here". I don't know who these people were, but I got discouraged and almost left until I met Jesse and Diana, then things started to turn around. Jesse almost immediately offered me a plane ride and after we returned I met with Diana and she offered a plane ride too :) I then decided maybe this isn't such a bad group after all. So I decided to stick around that evening and had dinner with Markb and the group and it was great. All in all I had a great time and I wanted to thank the folks that made the effort to make a newbie feel welcome. :)

Last edited:
This was my first Gastons experience this year and it was great! I first want to thank Jesse and Diana for taking the time and effort to take me flying. They are both great pilots. I really wanted to fly down this year, I had the plane fueled up and loaded with baggage ready to go, but mother nature had other plans for my trip. So I made the 5 hr drive down which was a good decision because I don't think I could have handled that much winds.

When I first arrived I didn't know any faces, except for Markb and he was up flying. So the first few people I introduced myself to kinda gave a cold shoulder with the attitude of "who are you and what are you doing here". I don't know who these people were, but I got discouraged and almost left until I met Jesse and Diana, then things started to turn around. Jesse almost immediately offered me a plane ride and after we returned I met with Diana and she offered a plane ride too :) I then decided maybe this isn't such a bad group after all. So I decided to stick around that evening and had dinner with Markb and the group and it was great. All in all I had a great time and I wanted to thank the folks that made the effort to make a newbie feel welcome. :)
Welcome to the board and to Gaston's! Making the decision to drive instead of fly is always tough, but MUCH better safe than sorry. I sure hope I'm not one who gave you the "cold shoulder!" If so, I apologize profusely!

This was my first Gastons experience this year and it was great! I first want to thank Jesse and Diana for taking the time and effort to take me flying. They are both great pilots.
Mike, thank you for the compliment. I'm glad we had the chance to go flying. :) I'm sorry we didn't have more time to visit, but things got rather chaotic.

I really wanted to fly down this year, I had the plane fueled up and loaded with baggage ready to go, but mother nature had other plans for my trip. So I made the 5 hr drive down which was a good decision because I don't think I could have handled that much winds.
That is a long drive...but it was a wise decision. I remember what happened when you cut your head in your airplane a few months ago in turbulence and had to turn around. And we sure had a lot of turbulence to go along with that wind! I had a LOT of wind when I got back home too. It was gusting over 30 KTS when I landed at home on Sunday.

When I first arrived I didn't know any faces, except for Markb and he was up flying. So the first few people I introduced myself to kinda gave a cold shoulder with the attitude of "who are you and what are you doing here". I don't know who these people were, but I got discouraged and almost left until I met Jesse and Diana, then things started to turn around.
I'm sorry you felt like you weren't welcome. :( I hope somebody told you where the name tags were...they really help a lot to identify people. And I'm sorry you weren't able to hook up with Grant...he said you could stay with them that night, but I must have not been very good at following through.

Jesse almost immediately offered me a plane ride and after we returned I met with Diana and she offered a plane ride too :) I then decided maybe this isn't such a bad group after all. So I decided to stick around that evening and had dinner with Markb and the group and it was great. All in all I had a great time and I wanted to thank the folks that made the effort to make a newbie feel welcome. :)
I'm glad it ended up being a positive experience for you.

In case you didn't see the photos I posted yet, here is one that Tom took of you near the Citabria.

Attachments

• Mike Newman and the girls 40.JPG
    Mike Newman and the girls 40.JPG
    231.5 KB · Views: 62
Mike,

I, too, hope that I wasn't someone that appeared to give you the cold shoulder. If you weren't wearing one, a name tag might have helped. Sometimes it's hard to know who is there from the board vs. who is just a guest watching vs. who is a family member of a....

Also, don't be shy to just walk up and sit down in the group. There aren't any cliques around the flight line (well, except for the Mooney pilots).

Mike, all you have to say is the magic word, the one that Diana sez all the time:

"Cannihavaride?" ;)

Immediately, half a dozen planes are at your disposal. You may have to wait in line for a few, but that just gives you more time to "meet and greet" on the flightline.

:D Were you hoping for a Mooney ride next year?

:)

The thing is, it wasn't meant as a jab. They like it that way. :yes:

Besides, they still get my backing in the Gastie's polling.

Last edited:
I hope somebody told you where the name tags were...they really help a lot to identify people.

Nobody told me where they were. I did look for one though. I agree that does help. I seen a few on some people, but I didn't recognize some of the names. I will bring my own name tag next year! :)

FLYER, this was my first time, too. I knew a few members (Brent, Bill), and they have been kind in showing this newbie the ropes. Getting to know folks takes time but I felt welcomed from the start.

Next time I will bring a name tag, and advertise myself more. This trip I really wanted to see the area, attempt to fish, see a Mooney on a grass strip, and meet folks. Now that I know the lay of the land, I'll know what to expect - I'm booked for 2009!

I really wanted to fly down this year, I had the plane fueled up and loaded with baggage ready to go, but mother nature had other plans for my trip. So I made the 5 hr drive down which was a good decision because I don't think I could have handled that much winds

Very smart choice. You know the old saying " I'd rather be down here wishing I was up there than up there wishing I was down here."

We were one of those wishing we were down there, at Gaston's, but it was just too far to drive and the choice not to fly was definately the right one. Today was the first time we haven't had T'storms on and off all day since Friday.

Jesse almost immediately offered me a plane ride and after we returned I met with Diana and she offered a plane ride too :) I then decided maybe this isn't such a bad group after all.
I'm glad you enjoyed Gastons. It is tough at first when you don't know anyone--but there is not a person there that will push you away. It was my goal to try and get everyone up in the air that didn't fly an airplane there. I really think you need to see the departure, area, and arrival from the air to truly experience Gastons.

I brought a pilot friend one year who had the same reaction as you did initially. Unfortunately he never recovered and has since dropped out of the group. IME, none of the PoAers who come to Gaston's are the cold shoulder / snobby type but some of us seem to come off that way to strangers. Heck, the first time Jesse came I think he was pretty shy and intimidated by some of the group if you can imagine that. I'm sure glad that things turned around for you, but I think we as a group need to work on this. I doubt that all of us will ever be able to exude friendliness and welcoming nature like Diana but we can and should try to do better.

Flyer,

Like you I was a first timer this year, shoot, it was my first fly in, ever. So I had n-o idea what to expect.

While I can understand that you felt like it was a cold shoulder, keep in mind that that some of these folk may not have seen each other since last year. It appears to be a tight group who were all excited to see each other. Which doesn't mean they weren't glad to see you, but......

Think of it like going to your spouses class reunion, only there are no aircraft to salivate over.

Anyway, I had a blast, and planning on being back next year.

marc

Last edited:
For anyone who felt they got a cold shoulder, I apologize. We need to try to be better about welcoming people. On the other hand, you're certainly free to walk up and introduce yourselves! Just walk up, say "Hi, I'm Jane (or Joe) Smith, and I'm new to the board/flyin/etc." You'll immediately be brought into a conversation!:yes:

(And I know how hard that can be to do with people you don't know!)

I thought you all were just great!! Phil loved everyone, too! :)

Heck we even offered a beer to Victor, and Bob. And we all know that Vic had enough by then :D:D

Heck we even offered a beer to Victor, and Bob. And we all know that Vic had enough by then :D:D
Did anyone get a picture of Victor and Bob? Did they really walk 4 miles from town? They must have been really interesting.

Unfortunately I don't think we got photos of them, but those guys were a hoot. On a side note, did any of the Dam pics turn out? Felix? Sparkles?

I thought you all were just great!! Phil loved everyone, too! :)
:) The Welcoming Committee followed the recommendations quite well initially, but then they must have gotten distracted later.

I'm glad you guys had a good time. :) You were both quite busy!

First: Good decision to drive never be ashamed of playing it safe

Second: I am pretty sure I never gave you the cold shoulder as a matter of fact I'm positive I didn't. Since I was in PA:D

Third: I say we all just blame the cold shoulder thing on Grant and move on.:rolleyes: POA is a great bunch. Walk up introduce your selves and if the person is a jerk you can be pretty sure they are not a POAer.

Really enjoy the board. Its a great place to hang out.

I probably need to smile more...

I offered rides a few times, and with my planes' "mundane" natures, got no takers. I gotta get a more exciting craft.

I'm sorry I didn't get to meet you, though! I like the saying: "A stranger is a friend ya hadn't met yet". I'll do better next year!

I probably need to smile more...

If you smiled any more often, your face would stick that way.

sorry for the initial cold shoulder Mike. I hope it wasnt me. It certainly is a group where you just have to pull up a chair and introduce yourself though. See you next year!

Back