My First Flying Video - Instrument Lesson

Somedudeintn

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
somedudeintn
I had my 4th instrument lesson/XC time building flight this past Sunday. Unfortunately I did not get cockpit audio so I ended up just speeding up the clips and throwing some random music on there. This was my first time using the virb elite and I like its altitude and heading features for post flight debrief. For some reason when I went to edit it showed 0 mph for the whole flight.

Flew from KLZU to KRHP. I don't know why but I've wanted to fly to that airport for a while, maybe because it's nicely nestled in the mountains.

From looking at the video I realized that I needed more right rudder on both of my takeoffs, I did ok holding altitude, but not as well with heading. I also noticed my speed moved around a good bit while climbing and defending as well as my climb/decent rate.

We had to deviate around a massive cloud of smoke from some controlled burns.

The engine RPM sounded like it dropped for half a second on the initial climb out, hence the 360 to keep it close to the airport in the beginning. All the gauges showed normal and nothing after that. Decided to get a little extra altitude and continue the flight.

Critiques are welcome as I have a lot to learn still! And sorry about the music. I used windows movie maker and pulled audio from my iTunes library, but could only use a few of the songs from the library. Hopefully I can get audio on the next video, and speed.

http://youtu.be/9EurgoqFOFY

Interesting display with the heading altitude and vertical profile display. What software did that for you?
Also interesting how the DUAL puck slide forward on takeoff.

Interesting display with the heading altitude and vertical profile display. What software did that for you?
Also interesting how the DUAL puck slide forward on takeoff.

I just used the garmin virb edit software. I've heard that you can record a track log in foreflight and add that data if using a gopro etc, but with the garmin virb elite it records those parameters and its synchronized with the video. Yea that plastic dash panel on the da20 vibrates a lot, later in the flight I just moved the dual to the seat.

The camera angle and placement is great. I can clearly see outside, a little bit of you and the instrument panel.

Great start!

The camera angle and placement is great. I can clearly see outside, a little bit of you and the instrument panel.

Great start!

I can thank Eric (Wilzup) who is also on POA for that. He's got gopro mounts already on all of the planes and makes some awesome videos!

The Man - Aloe Blacc

Always gets me pumped up on my drive to base to fly! Great use of the Virb software!

I can see my old SkyTrasher.

RIP SkyTrasher.

Story I heard on that one was that it was brought to LZU with intentions of getting some Maintenence done that hasn't happened yet and it doesn't ever fly. Does that sound about right?

How are we going to critique you? Video was fast forward and music. Would be nice to be able to watch it in reg mode and able to hear communication. The video was cool, the 1 min I watched. Couldn't take the fast forward. Sorry just my 2 cents

How are we going to critique you? Video was fast forward and music. Would be nice to be able to watch it in reg mode and able to hear communication. The video was cool, the 1 min I watched. Couldn't take the fast forward. Sorry just my 2 cents

Yea since I did not get the cockpit audio I fast forwarded it. It was my first time using the camera and I am planning on having the cable to get the audio next time. I agree that without the audio the video really loses its usefulness except for the fact that you can see altitude, heading, and the gauges. If I didn't fast forward it would have been a 2 hour video that absolutely no one would watch!

Story I heard on that one was that it was brought to LZU with intentions of getting some Maintenence done that hasn't happened yet and it doesn't ever fly. Does that sound about right?

Nah. I landed there because I wasn't going to land up in the GA mountains, at night, in a private field with no approaches or lights. I was going to move it later but it did need MX and the mechanic was fine driving to LZU. I was let go (for some unknown reason to this day) and was the only person who can fly it. Lol

That was last Sept.

I just used the garmin virb edit software. I've heard that you can record a track log in foreflight and add that data if using a gopro etc, but with the garmin virb elite it records those parameters and its synchronized with the video. Yea that plastic dash panel on the da20 vibrates a lot, later in the flight I just moved the dual to the seat.

Great on the sync. I wonder if you can do the same with Bad Elf and GoPro, or have the FF track from the BadElf link. I have not done the FF track file, just the Bad Elf log.

Great video Wayne! I have mounts all over 4MK, lol! It is like an easter egg hunt trying to find them. One under the left wing and one under the horizontal stabilizer.

Eric

Back