My first Droid application - learning Morse code

Areeda

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Areeda
OK so I got the phone last week and thought I should try to program something so looking around for the smallest market with the cheapest SOBs, I decided on something the members of this community might enjoy and I could use.

It's very simple you can type in text and it will send it back in Morse code at 5 WPM then say the letters, or you can get a random VOR from a list of the 100 or so in California.

If you want to try go to http://www.areeda.com/morse on your phone and download it. You will have to accept apps from unknown sources to install it. It does write temporary wav files to the SD card, it should delete them but doesn't always. Next update will deal with this better so you may want to wait. If you have a usb cable they are all called morseXXXXX.wav and are easy to clean up.

I had to learn Eclipse and the SDK to do this. My first impression is pretty positive but it's going to take some getting used to. Android does a lot of stuff asynchronously and the java libraries are stripped down. I think you can add jar files to a project, we'll see.

If you do try the app let me know what you think.

Joe

will this work on I-phone? I love to have a refreshment course. It's been many moon since the boyscout days.

Last edited:
will this work on I-phone? I love to have a refreshment course. It's been many moon since the boyscout days.
Howard,

I don't think there is any cross-over between Android and iPhone apps.

I do have a prototype Java app that runs with Java V6 or 7. If there's interest I can upload it and even keep it in sync.

Joe

OK so I got the phone last week and thought I should try to program something so looking around for the smallest market with the cheapest SOBs, I decided on something the members of this community might enjoy and I could use.

It's very simple you can type in text and it will send it back in Morse code at 5 WPM then say the letters, or you can get a random VOR from a list of the 100 or so in California.

If you want to try go to http://www.areeda.com/morse on your phone and download it. You will have to accept apps from unknown sources to install it. It does write temporary wav files to the SD card, it should delete them but doesn't always. Next update will deal with this better so you may want to wait. If you have a usb cable they are all called morseXXXXX.wav and are easy to clean up.

I had to learn Eclipse and the SDK to do this. My first impression is pretty positive but it's going to take some getting used to. Android does a lot of stuff asynchronously and the java libraries are stripped down. I think you can add jar files to a project, we'll see.

If you do try the app let me know what you think.

Joe

I haven't downloaded it yet, Joe, but you really should get it on the Android market, that way you can get comments and bug reports more easily.

I haven't downloaded it yet, Joe, but you really should get it on the Android market, that way you can get comments and bug reports more easily.
I know Nick.
I'm really in the read and play phase. Not to mention PoA is probably 80% of the market for this app.

Once I get to the point a line of code is less than an hour of reading, I will publish. Question is "Is free different from 99¢"

This app still has several key facilities to learn:

• Wait for voice to finish so it can just keep going with VORs
  • Use the GPS and SQL lite so I can practice with the 10 closest VORs to current position
  • Preferences so I can adjust the word rate

Of course if I really wanted to learn Morse Code, I would be using the damn thing instead of programming enhancements.

Joe

Has anyone seen an iPhone or Droid app for "morse to text" that can be used for text messaging? I recall a Jay Leno spot where two Morse code dudes kicked the crap out of phone texters in a race to send a message. I thought if there was a phone app that translated morse to text in an SMS that it might do well. It could cause a re-surgence of interest in MC. . . :)

Has anyone seen an iPhone or Droid app for "morse to text" that can be used for text messaging? :)

dah-dit dah-dah-dah dah-dit dit, dah di-di-di-dit di-dah dah, di-dit, di-dah dah-dah, di-dah di-dah-dah di-dah di-dah-dit dit, dah-dah-dah di-di-dah-dit

If it's not too much trouble. Thank you
There is now a zip file on the same page http://www.areeda.com/morse
It should work on Windows, Macs, and Unix systems with java 1.6 or newer.

Has anyone seen an iPhone or Droid app for "morse to text" that can be used for text messaging?
I like that idea, I wouldn't have to get very good at keying to beat my typing speed or accuracy on these things. I'll see how hard it is.

Joe

There is now a zip file on the same page http://www.areeda.com/morse
It should work on Windows, Macs, and Unix systems with java 1.6 or newer.

I like that idea, I wouldn't have to get very good at keying to beat my typing speed or accuracy on these things. I'll see how hard it is.

Joe

I don't know much about MC, but would it make sense to have 3 or 4 keys for this application? Dit, Dah, and maybe Space and Period?

Areeda...I am currently a computer programmer with legacy systems. I am interesting on learning how to program apps for the driod. Can you point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

Areeda...I am currently a computer programmer with legacy systems. I am interesting on learning how to program apps for the driod. Can you point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

http://developer.android.com/index.html

Not bad docs...I'm by no means a professional programmer, but I'm working on a couple of little apps for my wife.

Joe,

Your eclipse learning will never end. It is extremely powerful. One has to force themselves to use it to really start to see the light.

Joe,

Your eclipse learning will never end. It is extremely powerful. One has to force themselves to use it to really start to see the light.

but it will never be a vi..... :rofl:

Joe,

Jesse,

I've been using NetBeans which is very similar, except none of the function keys and maybe one or 2 of the control key combinations are the same. eclipse seems like a good solid platform.

I actually like vi and emacs but I doubt I'll set that mode.

The droid itself has a lot to learn. The only problem with the setup is the Droid emulator is slow but you have the full eclipse debugger so it's worth it.

Joe

Last edited:
Jesse,

I've been using NetBeans which is very similar, except none of the function keys and maybe one or 2 of the control key combinations are the same. eclipse seems like a good solid platform.

I actually like vi and emacs but I doubt I'll set that mode.

The droid itself has a lot to learn. The only problem with the setup is the Droid emulator is slow but you have the full eclipse debugger so it's worth it.

Joe
Ah okay, For a second there I thought you were one of those guys that insists on coding Java in a text editor. It's amazing to me that none of them are willing to see the light of an IDE :)

I used Eclipse for the Java class I took last semester. It seemed like a pretty strong IDE, although we BARELY scratched the surface of what it could do.

I'm using Aptana RadRails for Ruby on Rails development right now. It's very Eclipse-like and actually uses some of the Eclipse plug-ins for SVN stuff.

Both Eclipse and RadRails blow VisualStudio out of the water as far as speed. I still like the 'drag and drop' objects in VS, though.

I used Eclipse for the Java class I took last semester. It seemed like a pretty strong IDE, although we BARELY scratched the surface of what it could do.

I'm using Aptana RadRails for Ruby on Rails development right now. It's very Eclipse-like and actually uses some of the Eclipse plug-ins for SVN stuff.

Both Eclipse and RadRails blow VisualStudio out of the water as far as speed. I still like the 'drag and drop' objects in VS, though.
Aptana is Eclipse. It's just Eclipse with some Aptana written addons :)

Joe,

OK, you might encourage me to try it again. I gave up. Was not intuitive; figuring out where to go to reference libraries, or this setting or that, was difficult for me.

Any particular "learning eclipse" resources you could point me towards? This would be for Java and/or PHP programming, maybe some Python.

OK, you might encourage me to try it again. I gave up. Was not intuitive; figuring out where to go to reference libraries, or this setting or that, was difficult for me.

Any particular "learning eclipse" resources you could point me towards? This would be for Java and/or PHP programming, maybe some Python.
As far as I can tell eclipse is for java, javaScript, html, html. There are probably plugins and derivatives to support other languages that I don't know about

NetBeans (http://www.netbeans.org) does a good job of those, php, c++, python, ruby and a few others. I've been impressed with the wiki, tutorials and other resources available.

I have a few years with NetBeans and a couple of weeks with eclipse so I can't compare them other than to say for java development, I'm happy with both.

Joe

As far as I can tell eclipse is for java, javaScript, html, html. There are probably plugins and derivatives to support other languages that I don't know about

NetBeans (http://www.netbeans.org) does a good job of those, php, c++, python, ruby and a few others. I've been impressed with the wiki, tutorials and other resources available.

I have a few years with NetBeans and a couple of weeks with eclipse so I can't compare them other than to say for java development, I'm happy with both.

Joe

Eclipse does a phenomenal job with PHP as well, and for a good C and C++ IDE on linux, it can't be beat.

I wish it did VBScript.

Back