My first BENT airplane :(

N6399A

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
N6399A
Well……………… it started out a beautiful 4 day weekend of flying. My A&P/AI/friend (for the purpose of this post I’ll call him Kevin, and because that’s his name) and I left DVT in my 182 Thursday at 5 am for a quick flight to Flagstaff to pick up a Turbo Commander to fly to Houston International. In Houston we picked up his pax and took them to Andrews U. in MI. We stayed the night in Berrien Springs, went exploring a little in the morning, and left for McCall Idaho Friday afternoon. The flight to McCall was great and I was having a blast, after all, what could be better than studying the Instrument Procedures Handbook while right seat IFR in a Commander? :dunno: Saturday morning we were back in the Commander and off to Missoula to visit a friend of Kevin’s for a few hours. Kev’s friend has a really nice Stinson with an O-470 that he hasn’t been able to fly for awhile. So we pre flighted that and took off up to a grass strip at Sealy Lake MT and then for a quick flight through the Bob Marshall wilderness. I know the AK and CO guys might beg to differ, but that to me is some if the most beautiful country in the country. And especially this time of year with snow still up high and the valleys green, well, lets just say, I was in heaven. :yes:

The reason for the trip to McCall is that one of Kevin’s clients (Steve), the guy that owns the Commander, was flying his Beaver from Flagstaff to McCall on Friday as he owns a ranch about 21 miles east of McCall. The ranch is only accessible by airplane and he wanted to take the Beaver in there as his 182 is in Phoenix getting, well, everything. So after leaving Missoula Saturday afternoon, Kevin and I were to fly over the ranch so Steve would know to fly out and pick us up in the Beaver. Because of some pretty good mountain turbulence we weren’t able to get as low over the ranch as we’d have liked and weren’t really sure we’d been spotted. Apparently they’d seen us just as we made the turn away from there. Let’s see, the trip into the ranch in the Beaver would be our 4th super fun flight of the day. WOOHOO. :goofy: And what a strip this place has. It’s 500 feet on a 25 degree hill. Not too forgiving, to say the very least. (pics of the Beaver and the strip attached) After a tour of the 240 acre ranch which is currently home to, 2 small travel trailers, a dozer, a backhoe, a saw mill, a Ford Excursion, and misc. other equipment all delivered via Columbia helicopter, it was back in the Beaver for the flight back to McCall. Well, not until after a cruise along the ridges looking for Mountains Goats. Sunday was another flight into the ranch and then back to Flagstaff in the Commander. Sounds like a great weekend doesn’t it? Except for the REST of the story.:lightning:

We had arrived in Flagstaff on Thursday morning before the FBO was open and the line guys present. There are no tie downs on the ramp in Flag., and SOP is when you arrive there the line guys come out with their own straps and tie down your airplane. We were leaving at 6:45, the FBO opened at 7:00, the wilds were calm, so we chaulked my plane and left. Instructions were left that my plane was to be moved to Steve’s hanger ASAP once the line guys got there. At 7:00am Steve left for Prescott in the Beaver. When he returned at noon my plane was still on the ramp and two of the line guys next to it. Just as Steve landed he looked to the west to see a huge dust devil coming over the top of the maintenance hanger and heading for the ramp. And YEP, there sat my baby, untied, and waiting to be moved inside. The rest is almost too sad to type. :( It hit my plane and lifted the tail and one wing with both line boys hanging from the strut. Flipped it all the way up till the other wing and prop hit the ground. Crumpled the tip and the first 18” of wing, chipped a 1/8” corner off a prop blade, crunched a wheel pant, and snapped the nose fork off. :hairraise: Steve said he wouldn’t have believed it had he not seen it happen. I still can’t believe it. :eek: I held up pretty well on the initial damage inspection, but once in the 195 that we then had to fly back to Phoenix, I pretty much cried all the way home. :vomit: I know I’m a newbie pilot with almost no hours compared to most of you, but I still feel like my heart has been jerked out and my legs cut off. While it’s completely repairable, we’re still uncertain at this time who will pay for it and how long it will take. Well, just got the phone call and looks like it will be my insurance paying with Kevin doing the repairs. Guess I'll know by the end of the week if Gastons is still possible.

PS The plane never did get tied down that morning. :mad:

Also a pic of my plane a few days before going to Flagstaff. Doesn't look like that now, but it will again. Will get some pictures when we go up to meet the adjuster. Well, if I can, or should say want to at that point.

Attachments

• IMG_0786.JPG
    IMG_0786.JPG
    646.8 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_0787.JPG
    IMG_0787.JPG
    846.9 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_0783.JPG
    IMG_0783.JPG
    387.5 KB · Views: 122
I am so sorry!!! I would have cried too!

Did the FBO say why they had not moved it into the hangar as per your instructions nor tied it down?

BTW I was relived to realize at the end that even though your airplane got bent, you were not hurt in the process.

Last edited:
Wow. I don't know what to say besides I feel horrible for you. *hug*

ug what a horrible ending to a great flying story. hope everything turns out OK.

Sheri,

That's awful. :( At least a) nobody was hurt, and b) you weren't at fault 'cuz that would suck even more.

I am so sorry!!! I would have cried too!

Did the FBO say why they had not moved it into the hangar as per your instructions nor tied it down?

Kevin talked to one of the line guys this morning that said they had just been too busy to get it put away. He was one of the guys that went for a ride on the stut. (witnesses said his feet were 7' off the ground) He was truly trying to save it.

Interesting side note is that the FBO doesn't allow lone line guys to move planes anymore. They have to have two of them, one to move the plane and one spotter. There's a really good reason for that policy. One of their guys once ripped a wing completely off the afore mentioned Beaver resulting in a 20K dollar repair. So I guess it was just noon before there were two guys available to "git er done".

Kevin talked to one of the line guys this morning that said they had just been too busy to get it put away. He was one of the guys that went for a ride on the stut. (witnesses said his feet were 7' off the ground) He was truly trying to save it.

Interesting side note is that the FBO doesn't allow lone line guys to move planes anymore. They have to have two of them, one to move the plane and one spotter. There's a really good reason for that policy. One of their guys once ripped a wing completely off the afore mentioned Beaver resulting in a 20K dollar repair. So I guess it was just noon before there were two guys available to "git er done".

That just stinks but it is also why I carry my own tie downs.

Ouch! My old worn out flying school 172 isn't as nice as a 182, but I would still be VERY upset if it got bent.

I am a little relieved. From the thread title I was afraid that you were telling a crash story. As mentioned above, it would be even worse if it were your fault. I also carry my own chocks and tie downs on a trip.

Sorry about crumpled metal and I'm glad nobody was hurt. I've never had to use them but I have a set of tie downs under the rear seat of the plane also (not because I am alway prepared but because they came with the plane)

Bummer, but your ok and healthy that should put it all in perspective.

.....Yea I think I'd cry too.

Sheri, aint that a bittersweet post? You had a whole wknd of flights most of us can only dream about and then that happens....

My condolences but thankfully no one was hurt. (Did the lineman survive his short flight without injuries?)

Reminds me of the time some dope came roaring down the road and broadsided my beloved bonneville with the custom paint, new tranny, new motor. You can't prevent it.
As with the bonne, this too can be fixed and she'll be flying in no time. But it still hurts.
Glad no one was hurt and it's just some bent metal. Could have been worse.

Sherri, I'm sorry the weekend ended on a sour note. I hope the repairs go quickly and smoothly along with the insurance handling.

I'm so sorry to hear of your trouble. As noted by others, you can at least take some small comfort in knowing that you didn't break your airplane (which would be right up there with hurting/killing your kid by accident).

Sherri, I think everyone else already summed up how I feel about this. I still hope that you find a way to make it to Gaston's! And I'm VERY glad that no one was hurt and that it wasn't our fault.

My guess is that your insurance company may elect to subrogate against the FBO's insurance for at least some of their payment. It is, of course, just a guess. Let us know how it turns out! I'm curious how this would be handled if it was a rental plane one of us was flying.

Make sure the insurance guy knows about the prop damage. Is it a Lycoming engine? They want an engine tear down for almost anything. Landing on a field with tall grass would do it. It was not running, so that helps; but we had a tear down when an newly OH engine in a crate was delivered and one support leg had not been bolted correctly, so the engine sort of settled to one side in the crate. That put torque force on the prop flange, because it was bolted to a 1" plywood support inside the crate. Pictures sent, and instructions came back to return it for another tear down, a 10 day delay getting the plane back together, and nothing found anyway. No cost since the bolt-up was done by the OH personnel. If they need to do a tear down on the insurance, it is a good time to get any other engine work done that may be needed.

Last edited:
I have felt your pain. I lost a wing to Hurricane Charley -- on my 250 hour TTSNEW airplane. 4 months of downtime. Ugh.

My condolences.

That just stinks but it is also why I carry my own tie downs.

I figure $40 for my fancy dancy tie downs, and a bit more $ for some chains so that they can be used ANYWHERE, no matter how thick the tie down rings, is a small price to pay to avoid what just happened to Sheri.

My condolences. That just plain sucks. Hopefully, they will be good about it and their insurance will eat it, as it should be.

Jim G

I figure $40 for my fancy dancy tie downs, and a bit more $ for some chains so that they can be used ANYWHERE, no matter how thick the tie down rings, is a small price to pay to avoid what just happened to Sheri.

My condolences. That just plain sucks. Hopefully, they will be good about it and their insurance will eat it, as it should be.

Jim G

Interestingly enough, I just bough a set of Claw tie downs for Gastons, yeah.............they're on my couch. :redface: But I'm not sure they would have saved me anyway. The line guys were at the plane to move it and had I tied it down myself they might have had it untied by then anyway. Who knows? :dunno:

So now the really tough question of course is...

... who's getting stuck with paying for the repairs? :(

So now the really tough question of course is...

... who's getting stuck with paying for the repairs? :(

Well.................. so far it's my insurance company. Whether they choose to go after the FBO or not is their deal. Of course the FBO wants to camp out on to the Act of God thing. But God didn't go after the airplanes the line guys had tied down. :dunno:

Well.................. so far it's my insurance company. Whether they choose to go after the FBO or not is their deal. Of course the FBO wants to camp out on to the Act of God thing. But God didn't go after the airplanes the line guys had tied down. :dunno:
That would be like saying that all airplane accidents are Acts of God because She created Gravity! :rofl::no:

Wow...sorry to hear it. I would be seriously hurt and teary if something happened to my beloved bird.

Interestingly enough, I just bough a set of Claw tie downs for Gastons, yeah.............they're on my couch. :redface: But I'm not sure they would have saved me anyway. The line guys were at the plane to move it and had I tied it down myself they might have had it untied by then anyway. Who knows? :dunno:

Good point. Your tie downs may well have been sitting on the ground, unhooked, at the time of arrival of Mr. Dust Devil. Of course, then your insurance company could be playing the "what fool unhooks a plane with a dust devil bearing down on them" card, but that won't unbend your aircraft.

Good luck and godspeed getting it fixed well, and quickly.

Jim G

Sheri, how sad and upsetting this must be for you! I'm sorry your pretty bird was injured. :( Dangit!

Will you still try to find a way to come to Gaston's? We all want to meet you.

Will you still try to find a way to come to Gaston's? We all want to meet you.

Well..........here's the thing. I wanted to leave for Gaston's exactly three weeks from today. My A&P said yesterday that it's a 2.5 to 3 week repair. If I stay right at the hanger with my him, riveting, unscrewing and screwing, taping off, and keeping him laughing and having fun, I can work the guy pretty late into the night. So I'm not worried about the plane being done in time. My only concern right now is that the prop shop is running two weeks behind. And, short of strapping a 30 pack to the prop when I send it in, I have no idea how to motivate those guys. So I guess it's just a wait and see thing. I will, however, be very surprised if I can't be there. These kinds of things always work out for me. :yes: Good karma, and all. ;)

What a sucky thing to happen. I'm wishing your plane is fixed soon.:yes:

yea, id contact the local brewery, get that prop done!
see you at gastons

Back