My favorite question on the BasicMed Application

And you're saying it's ok for a doctor to check my anus?
It is the FAA that is telling doctors that they are supposed to check: "Anus: (not including digital examination):"

But they don't say what to check for. Which is probably why at least some AME's don't bother.

My favorite (not) is the BasicMed anus evaluation

BasicMed page 8, question 9

Here is a contact card for those interested.

upload_2021-8-12_17-1-39.png

I guess I've had about 12 AME exams. My anus was not checked during any of my medical-certificate exams, nor was it checked during the one BasicMed exam that I've had (which was also done by an AME). I don't remember whether I have had to disrobe for any of the exams or not....
I just got back from my second BasicMed exam (with the same doctor). My anus was not checked. (I did have to drop my drawers, turn my head, and cough, which is typical for men's complete physicals.)

My old doc used to handle my testicles once a year, and started with the finger thing when I hit 45. My new doc said the finger thing is out and just asked me if I had any concerns about testicular cancer before telling me to pull my pants up.

I'm a man (obviously) but I still wouldn't go to a doctor who I didn't completely trust, even if I planned to keep my pants on. I don't think anyone should. I've never disrobed beyond taking my shirt off during a Class 2, 3, or basic-med exam.

I've had 15+ exams by an AME. Never disrobed. Was only ever touched to listen to my heart. And you're saying it's ok for a doctor to check my anus?

There’s a punchline to an old joke I’d love to post, but I don’t want to get banned. :)

Hilarious, but remember some pilots are women, and some women don't like being put in a vulnerable position for a check that has absolutely no bearing on their ability to fly and isn't even done by AME's. I've been assaulted by a doctor before, so yes, I will take my chances with an AME and the FAA before I let a doctor check my anus for BasicMed.
I am very sorry to hear this, and even more so about my comment/joke. I admit that as a man, neither possibility had occurred to me - that you may be a woman, or that a doctor would commit such an atrocity.

Privilege. I'm sorry.

Had one overseas and had to do the turn the head and cough.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back