My favorite FITS Scenario

Areeda

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Areeda
In the thread on FITS, there was support for discussing hypothetical scenarios used in training. This one is a slight modification of the one Cirrus gave me that made me loose the most sleep:

You are flying a cross country with another pilot of similar rating and experience. You agree beforehand that you will exchange PIC duties on each leg. On a leg that your friend is PIC, she makes a decision that you feel is not only unwise but has a risk higher than your tolerance.

What do you do?

NB: This is a discussion there are no right or wrong answers, information not supplied may assumed (except no parachutes if the plane is not aerobatic).

Joe

My opinion:

You express your opinion (this is basic CRM - everybody gets to say their piece). Maybe the PIC will agree.

If you feel that you will be in danger, you ask the PIC to divert to someplace and drop you off. If it doesn't rise to that level, you live with the PIC's decision.

If the PIC won't divert, you live with it. Anything else would be interfering with flight crew. You made the decision to trust him/her when you agreed to fly with him/her serving as PIC.

While this is a nice ADM/judgement training/discussion scenario, this is not really what FITS is all about. The idea of scenario-based training is to develop scenarios that will create a framework within with the desired learning may be accomplished in flight. I recommend a read through the FITS Pvt/IR syllabus to get a better idea of what SBT is all about.

I like it. Great food for thought. As far as my response:
Politely ask them to do something different, with justification, let them know im concerned about the situation.
If they refuse, get a little more firm.
If they still refuse, run away at the next fuel stop and hitchike home.

Like Gene Whitt says:
In the same airplane:
One CFI + One CFI = Trouble
same can be said for two perfectly capable pilots sharing PIC duty.

When I flew from Fairbanks, Ak to St.Louis, Mo with my brother in-law ( both of our flight times added up to about 140hrs)we agreed ahead of time that either one of us has veto power on an decission. It was not needed but I glad we did it.

Back