My emergency landing at DCA today

BenZwebner

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Ben Zwebner
Today I had my first ever, and hopefully my last, emergancy.
Below is my initial report that I submitted to the FAA regarding the event.
The names (besides my own) have been changed to protect their identities.

Dear Sir,
This communication concerns the events involving a Cessna 182 with the registration number of N----- on the 13th of May 2009.
At roughly 6:10AM on the 13th I, Ben Zwebner, departed Montgomery County Airpark (KGAI) with a Photographer (Jim Johnson) and a law enforcment officer (John Jimson) towards the Flight Restricted Zone (FRZ).
We entered the FRZ in accordance with waiver --- --- ------ for a photo mission at 7,500 feet MSL.
Roughly at 8:45AM, at 7,500 feet MSL and roughly 2NM from the DCA VOR, I smelled smoke in the cockpit and a moment later I observed the smoke pouring out of the Com 2 (the lower of the two Com radios). It then started to come through around the Com 1, LORAN unit and the Audio Panel. At that point I noticed that the Com 2 display was out.
Fearing the spread of the fire, I started to turn off all un-essential electronic equipment. I first turned off the Com 2 unit the the LORAN unit. I continued to shut down all of the lights on the aircraft and declared "May-Day" to Potomac Approach. According to the DCA airport ops, the May-Day call was made at 8:55AM. After I shut down the lights the smoke ceased. I instructed the front seat passenger, Jim, to prepare the fire extinguisher and be ready to use it. I pressed my hand to the Com radios and the circuit breakers and noticed that they were warmer than usual.
Potomac Approach acknowleged the emergency and asked for my intentions. I requested to land at the closest airport, which was Reagan National (KDCA). I was initially cleared staight in for runway 15 but due to my excess in altitude I informed the controller that I was going to spiral over the field and enter a left downwind to runway 15. While I was over the field I received a hand off to DCA tower and I was cleared to land on runway 19 if I chose fit. I declined and continued my approach to runway 15. Winds at the time were reported as calm. When I entered the downwind leg I observed a small amount of smoke from the radio stack.
After landing we cleared the runway at taxiway M and were met by emergency personnel. At that time I noticed that the Strobe Lights Circuit breaker was shorted. I shut down the engine, evacuated the passengers and assisted the fire and rescue crew in determining that the fire was indeed out and that there was no threat for a relight. After that I taxied the aircraft to the Signature ramp at Reagan Airport.
So thats the official, dry report... now what do I really think?
It happend EXTREAMLY fast. from the moment I smelled smoke till the moment I was on the ground was MAYBE 6 minutes tops.
The first thing that popped in my mind when I saw the smoke was: "OH, look at that! Thats NOT good!"
It was never a doubt that it was an electrical fire. I used to be a voulenteer fire fighter when I was younger and I recognized the smell of burning wires and plastics.
When you have an electrical fire, you are supposed to shut down the master switch, but I decided not to. I will explain why.
I was flying inside the Washington DC FRZ. This is a VERY delicate area. It requires two way radio communications, transponders and printed waivers and background checks before you can fly in the area. My location at the time was 2 miles west of DCA so in essance, I was also in the airspace of a very busy BRAVO. So to shut down the transponder and lose all radio contact would be unwise and as far as I am concerned, unsafe. So after i shut down the lights and saw that the smoke stopped, I elected to keep one Com radio working and my transponder. All other electrical devices were shut down.
From the moment I noticed the smoke till the moment I declared MAYDAY was maybe 45-60 seconds.
I started a very steep descent from 7500 feet to the deck. There was still a small amount of smoke coming from the radios and I didnt want to wait and see if it will light again. As I descended over the field, I was offered to land on runway 19, but I declined because that would bring me a bit too close for comfort to the washington Monument and P-56, the national Mall. (yes I know in an emergency I can deviate from all that, but I was already commited to rwy 15 and I have it instilled in my blood that I DO NOT ENTER P-56)
As I entered the left downwind I saw an ERJ-195 going around from 19 as I crossed its final approach path. I was High and I was fast from my descent and that darn 182 just didnt wanna slow down. On final I was still high and fast. All of a sudden over the radio I heard the voice of the captain from the CRJ that was holding short of 15: "Side Slip her in, you can make it".
He was right and I entered into a side slip and I made the runway. It must have been the ugliest landing in my whole carreer. three kangaroos (i was still too fast after the slip). I cleared the runway and all was well. the danger was gone and with the fire fighters and I made sure that the passengers were taken care of and then i helped take off the cowling of the engine just to make sure that the engine was not the cause of the fire. After about 20 minutes on the taxiway, We closed the plane up and taxiied her to the FBO where I was questioned by the TSA, the airport Police, the airport manager and then the FAA.
They were all laughing because I was the first light cessna to land in DCA since Sep. 11th 2001.
And thats it, I had to fax in a written statement and thats what I posted above. So people, I hope that you never have to face a situation like this, make sure that you are proficient in different emergencies, make sure that you locate the fire extinguisher in the plane before every flight and remember to think outside the box, each situation is unique.

Sounds like you did a great job. Your passengers and yourself ended up safely on the ground and the plane will be flyable again. Sounds to me like you kept your head, did what you thought was the best at the time and it worked out terrific.
Can't ask for more than that ever.

Good job!

Mark B

Hey, if you didn't force an evacuation of the Capitol, it's just another day at the office, right?

Seriously -- well done. Even with benefit of hindsight I don't see anything I'd suggest doing differently.

Now, how are you going to get the plane out of there?

Great job! I'd be interested to hear exactly what piece of gear caused it.

I am not getting it. It was a plane from a flight school / FBO and I resigned today once I got back to the offices. This was the third maintentance issue that I encountered this week and I dicovered some dissapointing things about their maintenance practices or lack there-of, so I resigned. My life isnt worth the few students I had there. So now I am just freelancing off my website with a local flying club.

the NCRCC told us that we would have no issue getting it out. They just have to call the NARCC in advance to coordinate it.

Can we call you "Cool Hand Ben"? I'm not sure my hands would have cooperated in writing out such a report immediately after the emergency.

Well done!

the NCRCC told us that we would have no issue getting it out. They just have to call the NARCC in advance to coordinate it.
You'll need that cop along for the ride, too, just to make sure you don't hijack yourself. Remember Cleavon Little as Sheriff Bart? "Next man makes a move, the [pilot] gets it! "

Did you get "the impossible picture" for Go Fly America!? You might be the only one who can claim DCA!

Good job handling the emergency!

Holy cow. This story is amazing, and only makes me sad when I think that this is the only way GA ever gets to go there again :(

Good job on handling the emergency. Good job on the write-up. Good job on resigning. Good luck for the future.

You'll need that cop along for the ride, too, just to make sure you don't hijack yourself. Remember Cleavon Little as Sheriff Bart? "Next man makes a move, the [pilot] gets it! "

You know that the TSA will check him for weapons just like Duh Mare had the state do when they kept the Chicago airports open against his wishes.

Bravo Zulu, Ben!

Excellent job handling the situation! Failures are not fun.

This must be the time of year for electrical problems. First mine this past Sunday, now yours day. Ironically, mine was within about 50 miles of DCA.

yes Bravo Zulu Ben! Top Notch job!! and BZ on your decision regarding your resignation. I guess now your free to come up to the FlyBQ this weekend:rolleyes:

Good job on handling the emergency. Good job on the write-up. Good job on resigning. Good luck for the future.

Exactly! Fantastic job on an impossible feat! I'm in and out of DCA a lot, and that airspace still makes me uneasy (especially around the 15/19 final approach cooridors). Sounds like you did a truly admirable job (on the emergency, write up, and resignation)! If I'm ever in your area and need a CFI, I know who I'll be looking up!

yes Bravo Zulu Ben! Top Notch job!! and BZ on your decision regarding your resignation. I guess now your free to come up to the FlyBQ this weekend:rolleyes:

I think that's a good suggestion!

I concur on your excellent handling of the emergency and so glad it all resolved successfully. What really saddens me is that our memory items on emergency checklists are now modified with "how are these affected by FRZ or other restricted areas"? We're now forced into a higher level of decision making, weighing possible loss of life, safety of flight vs violating restricted areas and the ramifications of "how much red tape am I going to be buried in by this" regardless of "in an emergency..."

yea, nice work. and I expect you at the FlyBQ so that we can hear the story first hand, and then exaggerate the hell out of it once the margaritas start pouring.

Great Job and a thank you to the RJ pilot whom ever he is. Sometimes a small comment is all it takes to jog the memory and help get the plane down.

+ 1 on Adams suggestion, come to the Fly-b-q and I'll cover your meal ticket.:yes:

Great Job and a thank you to the RJ pilot whom ever he is. Sometimes a small comment is all it takes to jog the memory and help get the plane down.

My thought too - nice that other pilots are looking out for us.

(Perhaps he didn't notice you had flaps down? :devil:)

... departed Montgomery County Airpark (KGAI) with a Photographer (Jim Johnson) and a law enforcment officer (John Jimson) towards the Flight Restricted Zone (FRZ)...

Yeah, yeah, emergency....How did you keep those two apart? :yikes:

Speaking of suspected alternator failures and checklists... does the procedure for dealing with them vary significantly between our single-engine GA planes?

I see several posts mentioning "cycle the master", but most checklists I've seen have alternator issues dealt with via the Alternator switch, or the "field" side of that switch, if in an aircraft with with a split switch.

Here's a sample from one checklist (Commander 114) that specifically mentions that the battery master be left ON during the process.

ALTERNATOR FAILURE:

1. Alternator Switch Recycle (Battery Switch must Remain ON)
2. Circuit Breakers Check

If alternator fails to come on line: -
3. Alternator Switch Off
4. Non Essential Electrical Equipment Off

If circuit breaker tripping: -
1. Alternator/ Electrical Systems Off
2. Affected Circuit Breaker Reset
3. Essential Electrical Systems On One at a Time
Do not reset circuit breaker if re-trips

yea, nice work. and I expect you at the FlyBQ so that we can hear the story first hand, and then exaggerate the hell out of it once the margaritas start pouring.

"Dear Penthouse forum..." :drink:

Exceptional airmanship Ben. What a great story!

Cheers,

-Andrew

Speaking of suspected alternator failures and checklists... does the procedure for dealing with them vary significantly between our single-engine GA planes?

I see several posts mentioning "cycle the master", but most checklists I've seen have alternator issues dealt with via the Alternator switch, or the "field" side of that switch, if in an aircraft with with a split switch.
Not a lot of difference between the various modern light singles other than whether or not they have a "split master" with battery and alternator sides or the older single master switch, and then it's more on the basis of which type switch than which airplane.

Let me just offer a counterpoint for contemplation...
If it were a major short on the main bus, not shutting off the master immediately "might" have allowed an electrical fire to reach the point that would not go away when the master was finally turned off - and possibly with a worse outcome...

I have a survival reflex that outweighs my concerns about some ****ant bureaucrat not liking what I did.... I would have killed the master, instantly upon smelling smoke, and the chips fall where they may...

Now, it turned out well, so ya did good...

cheers ...

denny-o

I have a survival reflex that outweighs my concerns about some ****ant bureaucrat not liking what I did....
If I were planning to turn towards DCA, the survival concern which might lead me to leave that switch on would be more about some 19-year-old with a Stinger or Chapparal missile than a TSA bureacrat with a pen.

If I were planning to turn towards DCA, the survival concern which might lead me to leave that switch on would be more about some 19-year-old with a Stinger or Chapparal missile than a TSA bureacrat with a pen.

Perhaps a compromise...hit the PTT "Mayday, Mayday, Mayday. 123AB Electrical fire, landing DCA." then hit Master...

That was EXACTLY what I was thinking. I was a soldier for three years and I know what its like to be on guard all the time in a place with no action and then all of a sudden to be alerted. Your trigger finger gets itchy.
especially since in my case I was first flying AWAY from the P-56 and in order to get to DCA I needed to turn towards P-56 and I entered a steep descent. It DEFINITLY looks suspicious.

Thanks for all the KUDOS everyone. This was definitly (hopefully) a once in a lifetime experiance and I have learned alot from it. I am still re-playing the event in my mind from time to time trying to figure out if I would have done something differently. So far, I think I would act the same if it happened again.

For those trying to figure out what went wrong, another little tidbit that I forgot to mention, the Alternator was NOT overcharging. The Ammeter was on "0" the whole flight. The flying schools mechanic went to check the plane today, once I find out, I will let you all know.

Now, In regards to the FlyBQ, I am trying to find a way to come but I cant afford to rent a plane. Anyone flying up past KGAI that could give me a ride?

Last edited:
Now, In regards to the FlyBQ, I am trying to find a way to come but I cant afford to rent a plane. Anyone flying up past KGAI that could give me a ride?
Just saw this now. Had I seen it earlier and had I not had Kent with me, I would have been more than happy to! Would have liked to meet you!

Back