My Degu Died :'-(

I am sorry to hear about this Brook. Those little critters become so much like family and I knew you loved the little one. My sympathies!

How old was it? Most caviomorph rodents don't have long life-spans, especially not the smaller ones.

Thank you everyone.

Steingar she was 6 1/2.

No plans on the funeral just yet. I'm thinking have the family over for a cookout and bury her. And have her favorite snack "nut nuts" (peanuts) for dessert.

That's so sad... but 6 1/2 years without becoming dinner for something bigger...and pampered, I'm sure... not a bad run for a degu!

Thank you everyone.

Steingar she was 6 1/2.

Then your Degu had a good run. I no longer have an iguana. To most they're creepy as hell, but to me they're beautiful creatures that eat the same food as me. The last two iguanas in my care each lasted about a decade. I saw signs of obvious kidney dysfunction in each before their demise, and with a little research found out that they're natural lifespan (in the absence of misfortune) can last decades. Where I live the climate is insufficiently humid for them, which puts a tremendous strain on their kidneys, with unsurprising results. I will therefore not have any more. You did a good job with your Degu, which had a far better life than the majority of its conspecifics.

That's so sad... but 6 1/2 years without becoming dinner for something bigger...and pampered, I'm sure... not a bad run for a degu!

Yeah....she was spoiled.

Then your Degu had a good run. I no longer have an iguana. To most they're creepy as hell, but to me they're beautiful creatures that eat the same food as me. The last two iguanas in my care each lasted about a decade. I saw signs of obvious kidney dysfunction in each before their demise, and with a little research found out that they're natural lifespan (in the absence of misfortune) can last decades. Where I live the climate is insufficiently humid for them, which puts a tremendous strain on their kidneys, with unsurprising results. I will therefore not have any more. You did a good job with your Degu, which had a far better life than the majority of its conspecifics.

She had a great run.

You had iguanas....that is awesome!!!!! I have always wanted one...and if I ever had one his name would have been Eugene. My dad had one. When he moved he donated it to the local high school science class. :)

Yeah....she was spoiled.

She had a great run.

You had iguanas....that is awesome!!!!! I have always wanted one...and if I ever had one his name would have been Eugene. My dad had one. When he moved he donated it to the local high school science class. :)

Iguanas have made good pets for me. When I lived alone, there was another being that recognized me when I got home. At one point the Ayatollah Iguana roamed my apartment and had habits that were charming and amusing. There is a certain spiritual pleasure with sharing the meal you are preparing with a companion, even if the companion is a 6-foot green reptile. They had the added advantage of being poikilothermic, or cold-blooded, and didn't need to be fed anywhere near as often as they were. Thus I could travel and not worry about them so long as water was available. And they were utterly, completely, and amazingly exotic. Any 5 or 6 foot reptile is exotic, but add in one that is bright green with spines running down its back like a fantasy dragon, and you've got uber-exotic. Of course those with giant green exotic vegetarian lizards roaming or otherwise rooming in their quarters are considered eccentric in the extreme, but I never did much care what anybody thought. I miss my iguanas. The absolute only advantage I could possibly see to living down south is I could have one or two again.

Sorry to hear that Brooke. I know how it is, its only been a month since Shamus went to Narnia. :(

Very sorry to hear it Brook.

That just sucks :(.

How'd he die?

Very sorry to hear it Brook.

That just sucks :(.

How'd he die?

We found a tumor on her Christmas Eve. I took her to the vet and they gave me the option of her having surgery (to see if it was cancerous) with the chance that she might not make it. She did okay with it until about the past week and a half.

Her sister is really sad. Now she just lays in her sisters spot sleeping. :(

Brook, I'm sorry to hear that. I know you'll be there for her sister!

Back