My "Deer" Neighbors

RJM62

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geek on the Hill
This is why I can't enjoy hunting anymore. Animals like me too much. The deer don't even have the common sense to be afraid of me anymore.

I don't have the heart to shoot something that's too dumb to try to run away.

-Rich

Attachments

• deer_neighbors.jpg
    deer_neighbors.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 87
They know you won't shoot so why run away.

This is why I can't enjoy hunting anymore. Animals like me too much. The deer don't even have the common sense to be afraid of me anymore.

I don't have the heart to shoot something that's too dumb to try to run away.

-Rich

How did you do that? Woodland creatures still run away from me despite the fact that taking care of animals is my job. :p

They know you won't shoot so why run away.

I actually think that's what it is. I think there's pheromonal communication going on, and although we've lost a lot of our sensitivity to incoming pheromonal messages, we still give off pheromones that other animals can interpret.

Maybe Steingar or one of our other biologists knows more about that.

-Rich

I actually think that's what it is. I think there's pheromonal communication going on, and although we've lost a lot of our sensitivity to incoming pheromonal messages, we still give off pheromones that other animals can interpret.

Maybe Steingar or one of our other biologists knows more about that.

-Rich
It may be phermones or possibly just your body language or even other scents such as the gun. Prey animals have to be fairly aware of their surroundings and what is dangerous and not just to survive.

How did you do that? Woodland creatures still run away from me despite the fact that taking care of animals is my job. :p

I don't know. But for... I guess the last 15 years or so, animals seem to really "like me," for lack of a better way to put it. Deer, raccoons, skunks, bobcats, coyotes, even the occasional bear.

I once actually had to get out of my car on a narrow mountain road, pick up a fawn by reaching around its belly, turn it around and face it toward the woods, and slap it in the rump to make it get out of my way.

-Rich

It may be phermones or possibly just your body language or even other scents such as the gun. Prey animals have to be fairly aware of their surroundings and what is dangerous and not just to survive.

Could be. I had just my camera with me, so there was no gun to smell.

I'd been taking a picture of the sunset through the trees when I noticed the deer. I was using the remote control for the shutter, so it makes a loud beep (in addition to the mirror noise) every time I take a shot, and the beep from the previous shot is what alerted the deer that's looking into the camera. But a few seconds after I took the shot, it went back to snacking.

-Rich

I don't know. But for... I guess the last 15 years or so, animals seem to really "like me," for lack of a better way to put it. Deer, raccoons, skunks, bobcats, coyotes, even the occasional bear.

I once actually had to get out of my car on a narrow mountain road, pick up a fawn by reaching around its belly, turn it around and face it toward the woods, and slap it in the rump to make it get out of my way.

-Rich

I think those are just the symptoms of living in rural New York. Or maybe it's just the beard :)

my BIL went 'hunting' using a bow from my deck outside my bedroom when he was here once. This was when I lived in Connecticut - eastern - with a stream in my backyard and the closest house that way about 300 yards. Would not want to discharge a firearm in that direction but bow, yeah. It was nice - the deer would come to the property line to eat the fine dead flowers and plants and he was up so th smell was somewhat moderated - plus the wind from from NW and the deer were to the W and NW. . . maybe 35 yards.

He missed. Three arrows. He can't shoot either. The dog dragged one down the next day. That Sib was a vicious little creature. We needed to use the pistol on it - at least he got to eat some venison.

We took the kids to summer camp, about 25 years ago, near Branson, MO. Because it was a long tip, the two of us spent the week enjoying a rural cabin we rented and these two young deer spent the week trying to get in the cabin and root around for food.
They were way too tame to be believed and when I sat on the front porch, one would walk up, stand around a little while, then put her head in my hand for a pat.
What a memory.

Here's another one. The picture's probably not salable, and possibly not even give-away-able, but it's kind of cute.

-Rich

Attachments

• 1362533008.jpg
    1362533008.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 26
They're young and hunting season has been over for months. Nothing to do with pheromones. You won't have the same experience with a mature specimen in October if you truly live in a rural area. I've had them stand at my front door in the middle of the winter. I still have to hunt carefully to put a couple of their elders in the freezer each fall.

My house is located in a residential area of the city of Utica. We share our gardens and yards with deer of all ages. It really surprised me to see so many deer year round. Obviously there is a prohibition of use of firearms within the city limits and these critters know it. They display little or no fear of people or cars, they simply ignore us.

What has surprised me is that when I moved here 20 years ago I never saw deer in the subdivision. Now it is common. They sleep in my yard, out in the open. I guess they know there are no predators or hunters here.

Back