My controller confusion the other day

cgrab

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
cgrab
My call to GROUND was "Nxxxx at Old T's ready to taxi with alpha request Echo 4 departure"

His reply was "Taxi to 18L via Juliet"

I came back with "Nxxx requests echo 4 departure"

He then said "Echo 4 departure was approved" in a condescending voice.

In the past when I was given a "taxi to 18L" it was meant I go to the end. I had usually been given a Juliet to echo 4 taxi instruction in the past. Sometimes it was Juliet, echo to echo 4. Keep in mind that echo 4 is inline with Juliet after crossing echo.

I like clarity but in the future should I expect the clearance I was given and not call back.

1. the airport diagram would help to visualize
2. never assume what controller meant - i would always verify. dont give a chit if he is annoyed

If I wasn't sure of the instruction I would certainly call back for clarification, especially if I already know that the instructions vary from time to time.

Tim

He should have said, "Taxi to 18L at Echo 4 via Juliet" or something similar. But if YOU had read back his instructions (which is what he was expecting) along with "verify Echo 4 is okay?" we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Is "Echo 4 departure" a departure procedure?

Or were you requesting to depart the hangar area using the Echo 4 taxiway?

I would be curious if your next 18L departure is a full length departure and starting from the hangars is if they really leave off any mention of the Echo taxiway. Why don't they always say "Taxi 18L via Juliet, left turn on Echo" or something similar?

After maintenance, I'll use the full 10000 ft and the taxi instruction is taxi to 18L via Juliet, Echo, they almost never say to echo 1. So, when he said taxi to 18L in my mind it was full length.

After maintenance, I'll use the full 10000 ft and the taxi instruction is taxi to 18L via Juliet, Echo, they almost never say to echo 1. So, when he said taxi to 18L in my mind it was full length.
Taxi instructions for an intersection departure are supposed to include the intersection (Rwy 18L at Echo 4); however, the connecting taxiway can be omitted if it is at the end of the runway.

Back