my computer locks - freezes

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
when I am reading this board the IMAC will freeze, and not up date or do any thing until I reboot it.

why just this page? no other web page does it.

I'm running Safari 10.7.5

when I am reading this board the IMAC will freeze, and not up date or do any thing until I reboot it.

Have you tried Firefox or Chrome?

Also, Mac OS 10.7.5 is quite old - You may want to upgrade.

Do you read any other boards that use vBulletin (such as AOPA forums)?

That is an awfully weird failure mode.

There's a incredibly annoying 10.9.2 bug that causes these freezes (not limited to POA). I've not gotten any conclusive answers from the Apple forums as to what causes/fixes are around but it's not just you.

Popular guesses are some interaction between he browser and the name server or issues with the way the cache inside the browser works.

Get windows :D

Sorry could not help meself

Clearly, Tom, you are the problem. Apple computers are without flaw.

Or, maybe it George Bush's fault.

In any event, I'd update the OS and browser and see what that gets you.

Clearly, Tom, you are the problem. Apple computers are without flaw.

I know, really strange :)

Or, maybe it George Bush's fault.

He get enough blame. but he has never been on my computer.

In any event, I'd update the OS and browser and see what that gets you.

Up dates are current.

I would go to Safari, Safari extensions, Adblock......install.

This will make EVERYthing run smoother.

There's a incredibly annoying 10.9.2 bug that causes these freezes (not limited to POA). I've not gotten any conclusive answers from the Apple forums as to what causes/fixes are around but it's not just you.

How can 10.9.2 be causing Tom's problems when he's on 10.7.5?

Also, I'm running 10.9.2 problem-free... So it's likely not just the OS, could be something else you're running or maybe the problem only manifests on particular hardware.

Up dates are current.

Tom,

Not if you're on 10.7.5 - 10.9.2 is current. Software update will show you as up to date because 10.7.5 is the latest version of 10.7.

Go here: http://www.apple.com/osx/how-to-upgrade/

If you've got the hardware to support it (for the iMac, the mid-2007 or later models), 10.9 is a nice upgrade.

How can 10.9.2 be causing Tom's problems when he's on 10.7.5?

Also, I'm running 10.9.2 problem-free... So it's likely not just the OS, could be something else you're running or maybe the problem only manifests on particular hardware.

So it's not Tom's problem, but just because you as a sample size of ONE have no problems doesn't mean there isn't a problem. The issue is well known on the Apple support forums. I'm leaning towards the name server issue. It didn't happen before I moved (same ISP but at a different point in the network). It is solely my MacBook Pro that shows the issue and I've worked through most of the "obvious" solutions. My win8 box with Chrome doesn't show the problem.

There's definitely another bug in Safari (or more likely something one of the underlying framework libraries). It has been FLAKO since I upgraded to mavericks, but the halting problem is new.

From what I have read the point 9 has more problems than the point 7.

Were you ever able to read the board without any issues on this IMAC?

Nothing that a big hammer and a fat wallet won't fix.

Dan

So it's not Tom's problem, but just because you as a sample size of ONE have no problems doesn't mean there isn't a problem.

No, I'm not saying that Tom can't be having a problem with 10.9.2 because I'm not having problems with 10.9.2. I'm saying Tom can't be having a problem with 10.9.2 because he's not even running 10.9.2. :mad2:

yes this just started .

If you have not updated the OS [not likely since 10.7.XX has not been updated in a year] and have not updated the browser and have not updated or installed any other new drivers or hardware you must have picked up a piece of malware somewhere . . . or have a memory problem developing - etc etc etc

Have you repaired your permissions lately? Thats always a good place to start -

I second the "apply patches and upgrade" but before that, have you tried clearing the cache on the browser?

I'd still install Adblock, just for the pure joy of 99% less pop-ups. On POA, no, but everywhere else.

Do like the "professional" Windows guys at work do, reinstall the whole damn machine. ;)

I'll send the loan documents. Sign and return after noting the rather high APR clearly listed, as required by nanny laws.

What year mac? Apple menu -> About. If five years old or so, I have seen more than enough Apple hard drives crap out.

Utilities -> disk utility. Repair permissions and repair hard drive.

Quality of x.7, .8, and .9 has been the same with some things fixed and others broken. Always a little quicker. But, the samba rewrite is garbage so if you connect to windows shares and it works in 7, I would not upgrade.

I received two updates for the computer last night, allow them to be installed and it seems OK this morning.

I am starting to believe it may be my cable connection.

It is a mid 2011, running OS-X Lion 10.7.5

Last edited:
What year mac? Apple menu -> About. If five years old or so, I have seen more than enough Apple hard drives crap out.

FWIW, Apple doesn't make hard drives... So they crap out at the same rate as everyone else's. Maybe less, since they stopped using Western Digital crap after an unacceptable DoA rate the one time they tried 'em. Good riddance!

Utilities -> disk utility. Repair permissions and repair hard drive.

A good idea.

FWIW, Apple doesn't make hard drives... So they crap out at the same rate as everyone else's. Maybe less, since they stopped using Western Digital crap after an unacceptable DoA rate the one time they tried 'em. Good riddance!

Well, my experience is the Hitachi hard drives in the macbook and macbook pro's. They were rather slow out of the gate, and slowed down as they filled up. The imminent failure wasn't obvious because they went from sloth slow to snail slow.

Well, my experience is the Hitachi hard drives in the macbook and macbook pro's. They were rather slow out of the gate, and slowed down as they filled up. The imminent failure wasn't obvious because they went from sloth slow to snail slow.

They're actually good drives IME, I've been using them since it was IBM's hard drive division. Always had good results. Then a couple of years ago, against my better judgement and prior experience, purchased a 1TB Western Digital drive for my laptop. It lasted a year and a half before failing... I'm a slow learner I guess.

But in either case, the drives in iMacs aren't either one.

I am not familiar with Apple or Safari but if you continue having issues, check out what add-ons or plugins you have in your browser. My problem is Shockwave Flash in Firefox. It spawns numerous copies of itself; sucking up all the CPU until Firefox crashes. The only thing I can do is kill the flash tasks.
Since disabling FLASH, I have yet to have an issue with Firefox.
Often times, browser response issues are thought of as computer hangs. This is especially true if the user does not have another task active. Task monitors usually run at a higher priority. You might want to have this active while browsing.

In 10.7.5 I had the capability to side swipe the mouse and go back to the previous page I had gone to.

I updated to 10.9 and lost that. but the computer does not lock up any more, but it is noticeably slower,

My advice to Mac users is "don't do it" 10.7.5 is a better system.

In 10.7.5 I had the capability to side swipe the mouse and go back to the previous page I had gone to.

I updated to 10.9 and lost that. but the computer does not lock up any more, but it is noticeably slower,

Looks like it's fixable:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5941774

Tom,

I noticed after the Mavericks upgrade that some of my trackpad prefs had gone away too. Just go into System Preferences, choose "Mouse" or "Trackpad" as appropriate, "More Gestures" and check the boxes you want.

I think 10.9 is faster than 10.8, but 10.8 was slower than 10.7 by a larger margin... And I wouldn't call 10.7.5 a "better system" since they may not be releasing security updates for it any more... Not sure about that tho. In any case, it's getting pretty long in the tooth.

Tom,

I noticed after the Mavericks upgrade that some of my trackpad prefs had gone away too. Just go into System Preferences, choose "Mouse" or "Trackpad" as appropriate, "More Gestures" and check the boxes you want.

I think 10.9 is faster than 10.8, but 10.8 was slower than 10.7 by a larger margin... And I wouldn't call 10.7.5 a "better system" since they may not be releasing security updates for it any more... Not sure about that tho. In any case, it's getting pretty long in the tooth.

That fixed it,, I'm indebted Thanks.

Well that was dumb. Apparently Apple didn't leave preferences alone on upgrade? LOL. Top notch UX! ;)

Well that was dumb. Apparently Apple didn't leave preferences alone on upgrade? LOL. Top notch UX! ;)

let's see one issue on a MS computer that gets fixed by 1 click.

Back