My cold evolved into sinus infection. What next?

JasonM

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
JM
So I have had a cold that just kept getting worse over the past few weeks. I have never had a cold like this in my entire life. I finally said the heck with it and went to the doctor. I was told it had evolved into a sinus infection and required antibiotics. I was prescribed Cephalexin (antibiotic) and also Cetirizine Hydrochloride with Pseudoephenedrine (Antihistamine/Nasal Decongestant) which is supposidly similar to Zyrtec-D. I have self grounded and wont fly until recovered and off the meds.

My questions:

1. How long do I need to be off of either medication before I can legally fly again?

2. What requirements/information should I keep on record for my next medical?

Get the NeilMed sinus rinse kit and use it religiously at the first sign of an infection. I used to get sinus infections that needed antibiotics about every 2 or 3 years. I started using the sinus rinse kit (or as we call it, the nose douche), at the first sign of an infection and have not had anything requiring a doctor visit for the last 6 or so years.

Get the NeilMed sinus rinse kit and use it religiously at the first sign of an infection. I used to get sinus infections that needed antibiotics about every 2 or 3 years. I started using the sinus rinse kit (or as we call it, the nose douche), at the first sign of an infection and have not had anything requiring a doctor visit for the last 6 or so years.

Is that similar to a neti pot?

Not trying to scare anybody here, but I recently remember seeing some news reports of a few people dying because they filled those with tap water, and there was those brain-eating amoebas in the water supply. When they rinsed with the neti pot, they got infected with those amoebas, which ended up killing them.

Here's an article I found on it:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_...ng-amoeba-deaths-in-2011-investigation-finds/

According to that article, the FDA has issued guidelines on rinsing your sinuses:

http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm316375.htm

They advise not using tap water. Use distilled or sterile water, boil it, or run it through a filter.

Wanted to pass that info along, just in case. It was a scary article when I first read it, and it stuck with me.

EDIT: It looks like the NeilMed kit Old Geek mentioned comes with its own solution, which would alleviate any issues about using tap water. Probably much safer.

I was required to use that sinus rinse kit for a while recently and the directions clearly said to use either distilled or water filtered to some microns which I can't remember. I always used distilled water which was then mixed with some salt (I think) which came in individual packets.

Is that similar to a neti pot?

Not trying to scare anybody here, but I recently remember seeing some news reports of a few people dying because they filled those with tap water, and there was those brain-eating amoebas in the water supply. When they rinsed with the neti pot, they got infected with those amoebas, which ended up killing them.

Here's an article I found on it:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_...ng-amoeba-deaths-in-2011-investigation-finds/

According to that article, the FDA has issued guidelines on rinsing your sinuses:

http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm316375.htm

They advise not using tap water. Use distilled or sterile water, boil it, or run it through a filter.

Wanted to pass that info along, just in case. It was a scary article when I first read it, and it stuck with me.

EDIT: It looks like the NeilMed kit Old Geek mentioned comes with its own solution, which would alleviate any issues about using tap water. Probably much safer.

The Neil Med device instructions are clear on using distilled water. I use reverse osmosis water myself. I got mine on the recommendation of my Kaiser doctor and the Kaiser pharmacy sells them.

Thanks for the advise. I will try that next time. I am currently sucking non-iodized salt water through my nose at the recommendation of my father (using my well water - oops..). First time I have ever had a sinus infection. With that aside, how do I address my questions originally asked?

Thanks..

Requirements wise, I would guess listing under the Medical Professionals Seen box, mention it was for sinus infection. Medication under Medication's box with note that you did the full course of antibiotics.

The AME will likely ask for some additional details about the event, then add any pertinent details to his boxes of the form, then hopefully stifle a yawn about the event.

beyond consideration for Part 61.53...with the cetirazine the recommendation is to wait 5x the dosing interval after stopping. As this is a once a day dosing, that means waiting 5 days after stopping before you are fit to fly.

Personally I would not recommend a certirizine/pseudoephedrine combination as this tends to dry up and thicken the secretions making it harder for them to exit the sinuses. I fully agree with the Neil Med sinus rinse, with distilled water of course.

FAA is concerned to so much about acute sinusitis- you self ground until it is really gone gone (not just I fell better) and you have been off of meds for, as Dr. Newberry says, 5x the half life.

But an AME then needs to be careful (next exam) to make the case that you don't have chronic sinusitis. If you have had 3 episodes in the 5 year certification period, it becomes critical to make that case well.

Is having a cold and getting a sinus infection really this big of a deal to the FAA?

This is honestly the first time in my life I have ever had a sinus infection. But this raises the question. "What if" - What if I did get 2 more of these before my next medical physical in 4 years? Is it something they would take away my medical for?

Would you advise I discontinue the Cetirizine Hydrochloride with Pseudoephenedrine? I would assume the Antibiotics I should use full course.

When you have an acute episode, you're down until it's resolved and the meds are gone.

If you keep having episodes, then you have mucosal thickening from the inflammatory over-and over and that's a problem for drainage of your sinus from that point on == CHRONIC..

No amount of wishing this were not so, makes it not so.
NO, ONE EPISODE IS NOT A BIG DEAL.
SEVERAL EPISODES-->might be a rude surprise at a flight physical.

PRETTY SIMPLE MESSAGE.

I advise you go with your doctor's recommendation for meds until it's over.
Not flying is not going to hurt you.
NOT FOLLOWING his/her recommendation.....might not be in your long term best interests. Look up "Cavernous Sinus Thrombosis." Nobody take their doc's advice anymore. They're all internet doctors...... sigh.

Last edited:
Didn't like my answer. So why should I say more?

Sheesh Dr. Bruce. I have always respected what you say. I am just worried as I don't want to have any complications with my medical.

SEVERAL EPISODES-->might be a rude surprise at a flight physical.

Well, Hopefully this will not be an issue. Now I know.

Nobody take their doc's advice anymore. They're all internet doctors...... sigh.

Well considering I drove 10 hours all the way out to your office and followed every word of advise you ever gave me over the past year and a half (which I will forever be in debt to you), I would follow your advise any day over a walk in clinic I went to.

Sorry to be so hard, Jason. I think you can see that being asked and getting the "is it really so?" gets tiresome.....

I did take down the first quote block before you posted......sigh....but I sure did think that. :(

And, of course, no thinking back, it's been about 3 years I think.....the moral is always, "get GOOD advice".
:)

Last edited:
Sorry to be so hard, Jason. I think you can see that being asked and getting the "is it really so?" gets tiresome.....

I did take down the first quote block before you posted......sigh....but I sure did think that. :(

It's ok Dr. Bruce. I understand where you are coming from. I apologize if I came across that way. I just don't want to have to jump through more hoops next go around. Wishing now I had just sucked it up for another week or two and hoped it improved on its own.

Is having a cold and getting a sinus infection really this big of a deal to the FAA?

This is honestly the first time in my life I have ever had a sinus infection. But this raises the question. "What if" - What if I did get 2 more of these before my next medical physical in 4 years? Is it something they would take away my medical for?

Would you advise I discontinue the Cetirizine Hydrochloride with Pseudoephenedrine? I would assume the Antibiotics I should use full course.

No, having a cold and getting a sinus infection is no big deal. If you keep getting sinus infections, that is a big deal.

Get the NeilMed sinus rinse kit and use it religiously at the first sign of an infection.

I did this at the suggestion of a friend. Initially I thought it helped, but found I was getting worse. 'Did some research and found that something like 60% of people who use sinus cleansers feel worse. 'Lots of anecdotal discussion about this out on the web.
I stopped using it.

1. How long do I need to be off of either medication before I can legally fly again?
The time varies between meds, usually between two and five times the dose interval. Your doctor's PDR book should provide good guidance.

2. What requirements/information should I keep on record for my next medical?
Dates of all visits to a health professional about this, plus the findings of each visit.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back