My club's plane just landed gear-up

I really don't understand shutting down the engine. Didn't the insurance get a claim on the gear up anyway?

I really don't understand shutting down the engine. Didn't the insurance get a claim on the gear up anyway?

Exactly. All it did was save the insurance company some money. Unless, of course, the airplane was self-insured.

I would think in the Emergency checklist gear up landing checklist as the last items. would be to fuel control to off, master off, avionics off.

Forgive me if I'm wrong. I do not fly RG.

Couldn't really tell much by the video, but good job bringing it in.

Ah, that's right--forgot you were on here Ross! Well done!!!

Don't know yet. Airplane was put away in a hangar for the FAA to inspect it yesterday. I'll chat to our mechanic when I fly on Thursday and find out more.

The only time someone gets hurt in a gear up is when they do something to spare damage to the plane.

The only time someone gets hurt in a gear up is when they do something to spare damage to the plane.

I wonder what percentage of people see a gear up coming? My guess would be that for every 1 pilot in this situation, there are 20 that simply forget to drop the gear.

It's been awhile since I've gotten that much applause for a landing.

There are times when you can safely kill the engine. Such as when there are two pilots aboard. If you are in the flare, killing the engine isn't that big a deal. Hell many checklists call for turning the fuel off anyway.

Now killing the engine too early or trying to get slick and bump the starter if you're the only pilot on board is asking for disaster.

Have any data to back up that assertion?

There was an analysis someone did thought the NTSB records that showed the only times people getting seriously injured or killed was when either tried to depart after tagging the props or had cut the engine power and came up short in the glide to impact with some feature. Sorry, I don't store these things. Watch any video of a gear up, it's always a non event. Of course I'm limiting this to GA, airliners have a lot more ability to have it go wrong.

Back