My Christmas Zulus

JOhnH

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Right Seater
Merry Christmas all!

My wife and I gave each other a set of Lightspeed Zulus for Christmas. We haven't been up with them yet but they feel good. And the Blue-tooth pairing was a breeze and my Ipod sounds great.

But since she is the pilot and I fly right seat, I was a little disappointed that I have not been able to figure out how to turn them around so that the cord is on the right side instead of crossing my body and the microphone is in front of my face. Am I missing something?

Even with this minor inconvenience, I am looking forward to my first ANR headset. And since a previous thread asked about headsets and hearing aids, I will report on how they work with my CIC (completely in the Canal) hearing aids.

Merry Christmas all!

My wife and I gave each other a set of Lightspeed Zulus for Christmas. We haven't been up with them yet but they feel good. And the Blue-tooth pairing was a breeze and my Ipod sounds great.

But since she is the pilot and I fly right seat, I was a little disappointed that I have not been able to figure out how to turn them around so that the cord is on the right side instead of crossing my body and the microphone is in front of my face. Am I missing something?

Even with this minor inconvenience, I am looking forward to my first ANR headset. And since a previous thread asked about headsets and hearing aids, I will report on how they work with my CIC (completely in the Canal) hearing aids.

Like most of Lightspeed headsets the Zulu can only be worn with the mic on the left side. LS says that this allows them to use asymmetrical ear cups which work better for ANR. Their Sierra model is reversable though.

I've been a LS user since their debut and have never had a problem with the left side mic/cord. Just let the cord lie across your lap, or if that bothers you, run it behind your legs.

I don't have the Lightspeeds but just aquired my first anr headset, flew with it yesterday briefly just to check it out and it is wonderful. Everything seems to be more clear and crisp. I also wear cic hearing aids but do not fly with them on. Sometimes one will work its way out and need to be pushed back in or inevitably the battery will crap out in one while in flight which is a pain to change without someone to fly the plane while I change batteries. I used to have an open cockpit plane and there is no way I would attempt a battery swap in flight so I just take them out until I land.

I've put about 600 hours on my Zulus and love them. In fact, we find my older 20xlc headset to be more comfortable and better than the Bose headset. The cord only being on the left side I find isn't really a pain, even when flying right seat.

enjoy

I try to avoid chinese made products but i am sure they are good.

Last edited:
I just got a pair too. I was already a happy Lightspeed customer with my 20-3G's, so it was a logical upgrade. Love the bluetooth, and it's lighter and less bulky. I also really like how the ANR fades in over 1/2 second or so, rather than the click/pop of the 3G's. The hard case is a great thing, too.

Now I just need to find a way to turn off the "Front Row Center" thing, it seems to really attenuate the vocals on some songs.

Uhhhmm hit the FRC button on the battery box, Kent.

Remember RTFM :)

Uhhhmm hit the FRC button on the battery box, Kent.

Remember RTFM :)

Well, according to TFM, I have buttons for headset power, volume, bluetooth power, bluetooth volume, and Auto MusicMute - No FRC button.

RTFM yourself. :p :D

Oh, the other thing - TFM says nothing about any sort of switching ability for Front Row Center. :dunno: If there's a way to kill it, I'm all ears.

Well on my battery box there is an FRC button. Don't know about yours...

Attachments

• FRC.JPG
    FRC.JPG
    577.3 KB · Views: 24
Well on my battery box there is an FRC button. Don't know about yours...

Well. I guess I must have a "rev 2" or something - No button!

attachment.php

Attachments

• 215789938.jpg
    215789938.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 37
Back