My checkride update

Oh well... guess you'd better just give up.

:wink2:

Of course you won't- you don't need any encouragement. The prize is still there, and you have the same reasons for wanting it.

But I'll ditto what everyone else said along the lines of "just keep at it".

That which does not kill you makes you stronger.​
-Nietzsche​

I only know that because it was at the beginning of Conan the Barbarian.

-Nietzsche​

If at first you don't succeed, give up - the odds are against you.
- Somebody

Just kidding - I'd bet that you make it on the next ride.

I thought it went...
That which does not kill you​
...only postpones the inevitable.

Ooops, maybe not the right thread for that, but maybe you need some black humor. :devil:

-Nietzsche​

Hah! My instructor said that when I got back.

I think I heard that the initial CFI pass rate on the first attempt is somewhere south of 40%. Does anyone know the actual figures?

Gene

Well, you're increasing my morale and espirit reading about how well you did when you didn't pass the first time. Imagine what an inspiration you will be when you do pass.

It's wonderful to follow how you're doing on here. You certainly have excellent communications and teaching skills. Having flown with you, I can also say your aircraft handling skills are also excellent. It will be great to see you put it all together and get your CFI. Looking forward to hearing 'bout it and flying with you again soon.

Best,

Dave

Well I thought I could get in much easier since my checkride was only a few minutes of ground and the flight but my CFI called and said that the earliest they could get me in was April 30th. Thats about 3 weeks. Way more than I needed. Trying to stay positive however I'm also trying to job search in Nebraska and no one is going to look at me twice without the ticket.

Well I thought I could get in much easier since my checkride was only a few minutes of ground and the flight but my CFI called and said that the earliest they could get me in was April 30th. Thats about 3 weeks. Way more than I needed. Trying to stay positive however I'm also trying to job search in Nebraska and no one is going to look at me twice without the ticket.

good grief. ridiculous.

From what I heard the passing rate for CFI initial is about 30%, so I guess a lot of people fail on their first attempt. Some even consider such situation as nearly normal or expected.:lol:

I'm far away from CFi check ride. I just passed FOI written with embarrassing 96% which to me the easiest part of the whole training.:mad2: Good luck for your next try, I'm pretty sure you will nail it :thumbsup:

Say again why you're going to NE? Did you lose an election bet?

Nebraska is where the prime Corn Nut lives.

Wait, someone already named Jesse. Sorry, I was late to the table.

:)

Well I'm weathered out for tomorrow's checkride at wiley post. No one knows how long it'll take until I can get it rescheduled. 10 day forecast also shows rain everyday until May 8th. The examiner's don't even attempt a checkride with clouds less than 5,000ft. I went ahead and got my re-signoff and 8710, now its pretty much a matter of when. Having to wait to do checkrides is not good, if you wait too long, you sometimes need a little retraining which gets expensive. It's frustrating but weather is something in aviation that you cannot control and difficult to predict 3 weeks out. Just to put that into perspective, between today and monday there are 7 checkrides.

Last edited:
Well I'm weathered out for tomorrow's checkride at wiley post. No one knows how long it'll take until I can get it rescheduled. 10 day forecast also shows rain everyday until May 8th. The examiner's don't even attempt a checkride with clouds less than 5,000ft. I went ahead and got my re-signoff and 8710, now its pretty much a matter of when. Having to wait to do checkrides is not good, if you wait too long, you sometimes need a little retraining which gets expensive. It's frustrating but weather is something in aviation that you cannot control and difficult to predict 3 weeks out. Just to put that into perspective, between today and monday there are 7 checkrides.

they've cancelled tomorrow checkride already????

Not officially with the FAA, we're still going to go to the airport around 6:30 but weather is not good and not predicted to be good. Like I said, we need at least 5,000ft and no thunderstorms. For the past few days as well as tomorrows predictions its less than 900ft. Not even good enough to do landings.

KOKC 291141Z 2912/3012 14010KT 5SM -TSRA BR BKN009CB
TEMPO 2914/2918 2SM +TSRA OVC015CB
FM292000 16014KT P6SM BKN020
PROB30 3003/3007 4SM -TSRA BKN007CB
FM300900 17011KT 6SM BR OVC007

Last edited:
It does look nasty and predicted to be the same tomorrow morning. It would be nice if they could postpone it for later in the day, for some reason lately thats been the better opportunity. The weather gods are playing tricks right now, although the main stuff is moving out and clouds are up to 4,000 winds are picking up. It was like this yesterday before it dropped again. I was told there was no convincing the weather gods to lighten up without a chicken sacrifice....hmm...wonder if they like grilled or fried.

I was told there was no convincing the weather gods to lighten up without a chicken sacrifice....hmm...wonder if they like grilled or fried.

The method of prepration has little bearing as long as much chicken is sacrificed. Best to get all your friends in on it too. :cheerswine:

KSWO 301353Z 19010KT 10SM OVC070 18/15 A2992

KOKC 301352Z 18011KT 10SM FEW015 BKN050 BKN065 16/14 A2995

KOKC 301258Z 3013/0112 16011KT P6SM BKN070
FM301600 18015G23KT P6SM SCT030 BKN080
FM302000 16013KT P6SM BKN035
FM010400 11009KT P6SM BKN020
FM010800 15007KT 6SM BR OVC007

did you go??

It keeps going up and down. They schedule our checkrides at 8 in the morning. This morning it was 500 OVC in stillwater and 800 ovc in wiley post. I had no other choice but to reschedule. The earliest they could get me was for May 18th but we'll try and get something closer if someone cancels. I'm at a loss of what to do between now and then, what happens if I get weathered out again? This is the only reason I'm staying past may 9th other than to visit a few days with family. In another way though, I would have stayed a week longer than that had I gone to NIFA nationals. Maybe this will give me a chance to work on finals and packing among other things.

This is current
[FONT=Monospace,Courier]KSWO 301653Z 10008KT 10SM OVC027 19/17 A2995 RMK AO2 RAE1558 SLP133 P0000 T01890167[/FONT]
[FONT=Monospace,Courier]KOKC 301652Z 19013KT 10SM OVC022 22/17 A2992 RMK AO2 SLP121 T02220172[/FONT]
[FONT=Monospace,Courier]KPWA 301607Z 19020G24KT 10SM BKN024 22/17 A2992 RMK AO2[/FONT]

Last edited:
Do you have to do your checkride there? Why couldn't you just do the ride in NE?

Sorry you're having such bad luck with the weather! Hang in there - it will be worth it!

Because there are no 172RGs where I'm going. It costs money to get checked out and learn a new aircraft. I would try going to a local DE but that costs at least $600.

Because there are no 172RGs where I'm going. It costs money to get checked out and learn a new aircraft. I would try going to a local DE but that costs at least $600.

how much is it going to cost you to delay your checkride a month?? this is ridiculous.

You need to call Ron Albertson in Olathe, KS. It's on the way to NE.

In 5 years you'll be able to laugh about this. Don't sweat it.

Good luck, we're all counting on you!

:smile:

A
As it turned out, on my CFI basic oral, the Insepctor asked me to teach a 10 minute lesson on high altitude flight. I asked, High altitude as in 38,000 feet, or high altitude as in 16,000 feet (e.g, GA). He responded the latter. I never in the whole discussion let on that I had a federal appointment in that very area. I turned it into a discussion not only of medical aspects, but of planning into the final 20% of an aircraft's capability. This went on for 25 minutes.

Be cagey. He only found out after the 1.1 flight when he asked me for my pilot cert. Right behind it was my AME appointment card.
I am laughing my tail feathers off! Thanks for the laugh Dr. C!!!

Welcome to POA FlyGuyBob. But do you realize this thread is 5 years old?

Back