"My CFI..."

MachFly

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
MachFly
This has been annoying me since I registered on this forum, I just want to know why? Every time someone talks about their instructor they say "my CFI," why do you need to point out that he is certified? When your talking about your friend who is a pilot you don't say "my certified friend," or when your talking about your airplane you don't say "my FAA registered airplane." So why "my CFI?"

I can understand that the word "i - n - s - t - r - u - c - t - o - r" is on the long side and it's faster to just type three letters, "CFI." Then if your trying to minimize the number of letters in your post what's wrong with the good old fashion "IP" (Instructor Pilot)?

Then it gets worse...."Today my CFII signed me up for my instrument checkride."
2m366vp.jpg

We can all understand that your doing your instrument training with a certified instrument instructor.

It's like when flight schools write on their website "all our instructors are FAA certified." :yikes::yikes: They better be! I'm ain't paying some private pilot to teach me new ways of killing myself.

So please, stop pointing out the obvious. Now if for some reason your instructor is not certified, then feel free to write "N-CFI." And no, the "N" does not mean that he is registered in the US.

Thank you for reading

Certified MachFly

T'aint "certified" in any case. It is "Certificated" But I guess that's a different discussion.

T'aint "certified" in any case. It is "Certificated" But I guess that's a different discussion.

I guess I could never be bothered to read the second half of the word.

I'm with you. Plain old FI for flight instructor could be understood by all.

My CFI said to not trust everything you read on the internet. :D

International Paper is getting Fuel Injection, that is so cool I can't wait to tell my CFI.

My instructor also has lots of knowledge he likes to teach me, so I also call him my KI for knowledge instructor.

Let's call them FIKI, that won't confuse anyone.

Hmm, if he started a knowledge based web resource geared toward aviation, it would be fikipedia.

This has been annoying me since I registered on this forum, I just want to know why? Every time someone talks about their instructor they say "my CFI," why do you need to point out that he is certified? When your talking about your friend who is a pilot you don't say "my certified friend," or when your talking about your airplane you don't say "my FAA registered airplane." So why "my CFI?"

Long day? Grumpy boss? Kids annoying you?

Deep breaths. Perhaps glass of wine in front of the fire with your feet up?

Do you have an aneurysm when you hear "hot water heater"?

Orientate me in the right direction and I will know where you are at.

I'm not changing for you, or anyone else. It is going to continue to be "my CFI-IA-MEL-MES-IH-ATP, PhD," because he deserves the monikers.

I can understand that the word "i - n - s - t - r - u - c - t - o - r" is on the long side and it's faster to just type three letters, "CFI." Then if your trying to minimize the number of letters in your post what's wrong with the good old fashion "IP" (Instructor Pilot)?

Then it gets worse...."Today my CFII signed me up for my instrument checkride."
2m366vp.jpg

We can all understand that your doing your instrument training with a certified instrument instructor.

It's like when flight schools write on their website "all our instructors are FAA certified." :yikes::yikes: They better be! I'm ain't paying some private pilot to teach me new ways of killing myself.

So please, stop pointing out the obvious. Now if for some reason your instructor is not certified, then feel free to write "N-CFI." And no, the "N" does not mean that he is registered in the US.

Thank you for reading

Certified MachFly

I'm not changing for you, or anyone else. It is going to continue to be "my CFI-IA-MEL-MES-IH-ATP, PhD," because he deserves the monikers.

He must be one special pilot :D

Oh yea, I totally get confused. I see CFI written on trucks all the time. :p

Gotta run to the ATM machine and grab some cash to pay for my hot water heater.

Ages ago I was at my grandmothers house. She had her bills spread out on the kitchen table. I saw her check for her phone bill. It looked something like this:

Pay to the Order of: Bellsouth in US currency

I asked her why she wrote the check that way?

She picked up the bill and said.

"It says right here to make the check payable to bellsouth in US currency"

Back