My CFI Checkride Experience

MarkL

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
MarkL
In late Nov I did my commercial checkride (http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17717) and at the time I had also practiced all the manuevers from the right seat, with the thought that I would quickly turn around and do my CFI checkride. But thanks to my CFI being out of town, bad weather that iced my home drone closed for 2 weeks, and holidays, my CFI checkride was delayed to mid Jan. So in early Jan, I went up 4 times with my CFI to do all the private and commercial manuevers one last time and was off to the FSDO.

Day 1 === Jan 17th

Snowfall delayed my departure to the airfield where the checkride was to take place so all I got done was ground work. It ran from 10 am to 3 pm.

The following is an email I sent to another CFI student who is scheduled for a checkride after me:

[EXAMINER #1] said this was an open book test, I could look up anything I wanted to, and take my time if needed. I had with me:FAR/AIM, AFH, PHAK, W&B Handbook, AIH, ACs galore (but only talked about 61-65E and the endorsements listed in there), I had the Commercial and Private PTS, the Aircraft Maintenance logbooks from Crete Aviation, the POH (white binder behind the back seat in the Arrow, it has the W&B info in it). There were several breaks as needed, for getting a drink, etc.

We went over the basics of the FOI: laws of learning, primacy is the
biggest one in his book, how people learn (perception insight
motivation), the basic levels of learning (rote, understand,
application, correlation). He kept pestering me on which level I should
teach at and I kept saying the highest level... correlation but it
seemed like he didn't think that was right. Also how to people forget
(disuse, interference, repression). We talked about the five basic needs
(physical, safety, social, egotistic, and self-fullfilment) and defense
mechanisms . The 3 elements of communication (source, symbols,
receiver). We talked about professionalism and what do to if you have a
student who just doesn't learn.

We talked about endorsements. Flight reviews are such that if you have
a pilot who flies Helicopters and Planes and he does his Flight Review
with you for ASEL, then unless you limit otherwise in the endorsement,
you are also signing him off for helicopters. Very powerful. This is
discussed in detail in Part 61.65.

We talked about how weight of the airplane affects maneuvering speed. A lighter airplane will have a slower speed. Direct correlation between
weight and speed. But the Arrow has only one maneuvering speed, and
that is 134 mph, so it is the speed for a lightly loaded airplane. This
came into play later when talking about steep turns and entry speed and
PTS tolerances. If you enter at 134 mph with a +/- 10 knot tolerance,
then you can't even go over (use the +10) without exceeding maneuvering speed and possibly overloading the airplane. So pick a speed more like 124 mph.

I did a ground lesson on W&B using the Arrow's data. Did a "teeter
toter" W&B equation on the chalkboard, then did the W&B for the Arrow.
The arrow has 2 empty weight calculations in the POH, make sure you use the one from 1998!!! I did not, I used the original empty weight data
from 1971, that was superseded in 1974 (and obviously again in 1998).
That was my biggest mistake of the day and I had no idea there was a
more current data sheet. He asked me to find out what the max MOM was with a fully loaded airplane at AFT CG.

After lunch, he asked me to write a lesson plan for Steep Turns, which I
already had done. The AFH was the reference book for that he said,
which is what I had used.

He asked when should I recommend to a student to get their medical
(sooner the better, especially if they have any of the potentially
disquailifying medical conditions: diabetes, myocardial infarction,
epilepsy, disturbance of consciousness, alcoholism, drug dependence,
psychosis) what a pilot with one eye needed to be able to fly (it's a
SODA, statement of demonstrated ability). This is all discussed in 67.401.

We discussed minimum equipment lists (which apply mostly to commercial
operators) and what a plane (such as the Arrow) that does not have a MEL needed to do if it had a broken instrument. There is a whole section in 91 on what to do if the ELT is not working.

He asked where I could find a list of preventative maintenance tasks
that the pilot could do. This is in FAR 43 Appendix A.

After the W&B mistake, I felted like I was busted but he said I did a
good job. Towards the later part of the day, it seemed like most of the
time was spent reading and searching the FARs and Handbooks while he
waited. I think they want you know the right answer, and if you dont
know it, then they want you to know where to find it. It is my opinion
that the only way to fail the ground is to give wrong answers, it is ok
to not know the correct answer off the top of your head, as long as you
can find the answer.

Day 2 === Feb 1

I flew up for the flight portion of the checkride. Here is the email from that day:

Here are the maneuvers we did, in order, and it took about 1 hour of
flying. He said to talk like I was teaching a student (configuration,
standards, etc). He said if I stopped talking he would start asking
questions.

Start up checklist
Short Field Takeoff
Steep Turns
Power off Stalls
Accelerated Stalls
Chandelles
Recovery From Unusual Attitude (IR)
Turn to Heading (IR)
Emergency Descent to about 500 feet AGL
Eights on Pylons
Turns Around a Point
Soft Field Landing at Seward
Soft Field Takeoff at Seward
Normal Landing at Lincoln
Engine Shutdown Checklist

I messed up the Eights on Pylons. I entered at 134 mph (edit: this is manuevering speed for the Arrow) which is too
fast (manuevering speed minus a buffer so I probably should have entered around 124mph). I told my CFI this and he was floored that I
would have failed for that reason. But I am not overly upset.

Intermission === Feb 2

I went up with my CFI and we tested out various power settings for the Eights on Pylons. Further info in this post: http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showpost.php?p=264027&postcount=30

Day 3 === Feb 8

My CFI arranged for me to fly with a different examiner. Here is the email from that day:

[EXAMINER #2] seemed really nice, at least in the hour it took to finish the
whole ordeal.

He asked what needed to be done and I told him Eights on Pylons and then
he said we probably should do some accuracy landings too (which I didn't
do the first time either, wasn't on the list of manuevers that [EXAMINER #1] had).
So we took off and flew to the west practice area, which starts 3 miles
west of Pawnee Lake. As we approached he said I could pick a place to
start the manuever. So I established the airplane in S&L flight at 20"
and decided we were going too fast so I reduced power down to 18". There
is really nothing but canyons and trees until you get closer to Seward, so
I told him that there were not any suitable pylons or emergency landing
areas there and that I would press on for another 3-5 miles until the
terrain levelled out. By this time the airplane had stabalized at around
118 mph and given the winds (about 20 mph) I told him our initial pivotal
altitude would be 1,200 feet. I picked two pylons a mile appart on a
west-east alignment and entered with the wind from the north, and began
the descent immediatly as I turned upwind. Our speeds varied between
100-140 mph and altitudes were between 600 and 1000 feet. He said he could
see why [EXAMINER #1] thought the airspeed was too high but I told him if we went
with a lower power setting, we would be dipping below 500 feet and I would
unable to do the manuever. With that he thought the manuever was
acceptable and we returned to Lincoln for a couple landings.

We request a T&G and ATC vectored us to 35 but then ATC switched us to 36.
[EXAMINER #2] said to set up for a normal landing (with a 18 kt G direct cross
wind - geez just like my commercial checkride - actually that was a 26 kt
G direct xwind). As we got within 50 feet, [EXAMINER #2] called out a phantom cow
on the runway. I hadn't even been thinking he would call for a go around
but just like instinct, I told him the steps as I did them: power, watch
for elevator trim issues, retract gear and flaps in increments once a
positive rate of climb has been established, and had that cow been
departing runway 36, I told him I would have scooted over to the side to
remain out of its departure path.

After that, [EXAMINER #2] said to ask for vectors to 35 full stop and ATC granted
that. We flew around at 1,000 feet and on final, [EXAMINER #2] said to maintain
1,000 feet until I decided we were at a point where I could cut the power
to idle and make the target landing spot (1,000 feet touchdown markers).
I have only done power-off 180's, and I know the reference point I like to
make that downwind to base turn, so this would be a new to me. So I flew
final until I felt I was at a rediculously steep angle to the runway, cut
the power and prop, let the aircraft slow to 100 mph and then determined
that the runway was going to be no problem... added gear and set the prop
at max RPMs and a couple notches of flaps. At this point, I figured I
might land short so I held off on the last notch of flaps until the flare
and that gave me the extra float needed to make the TD point. I was very
happy with that and he told me to exit the runway and that was all I
needed to pass.

On taxi back, he was lazyily applying brake pressure on the toe brakes
while it was supposed to be my plane, he did that on the taxi out too. I
called out "My controls - rudder too" and he stopped. Watch for that.

Last edited:
We talked about how weight of the airplane affects maneuvering speed. A lighter airplane will have a slower speed. Direct correlation between
weight and speed. But the Arrow has only one maneuvering speed, and
then you can't even go over (use the +10) without exceeding maneuvering speed and possibly overloading the airplane. So pick a speed more like 124 mph.

I think if an airplane has only one published manuevering speed, and no published weight to match the speed, we're supposed to assume the speed is for max gross, and lower accordingly. So I don't understand where the assumption that "it is the speed for a lightly loaded airplane" comes from. And as, we've already discussed, Va is not a limiting speed for manuevers like eights-on-pylons.

Which FSDO was this?

I think if an airplane has only one published manuevering speed, and no published weight to match the speed, we're supposed to assume the speed is for max gross, and lower accordingly. So I don't understand where the assumption that "it is the speed for a lightly loaded airplane" comes from. And as, we've already discussed, Va is not a limiting speed for manuevers like eights-on-pylons.

The discussion at the time was on Steep turns, obviously a high performance manuever where airplane loading is a concern. Since the most G's I think I probably have experienced in Eights on Pylons is probably 1.1 G in turbulent air, I fully agree with you. The POH for severals planes I've flown recommends VA for several manuevers (steep turns, lazy eights, and chandelles are the ones that come to mind) but I have never seen a recommended airspeed for Eights on Pylons.

Last edited:
Yes. The add on rides and the ATP are a cakewalk compared to what you just accomplished.
That's exactly what my DPE said... by the time you're ready for the ATP, you've accumulated so much experience and skill, it becomes very easy in comparison to the CFI ticket where there is so much you must know.

We talked about how weight of the airplane affects maneuvering speed. A lighter airplane will have a slower speed. Direct correlation between weight and speed. But the Arrow has only one maneuvering speed, and
I messed up the Eights on Pylons. I entered at 134 mph (edit: this is manuevering speed for the Arrow) which is too
fast (manuevering speed minus a buffer so I probably should have entered around 124mph). I told my CFI this and he was floored that I
would have failed for that reason.
I would have been floored, too. First, there's nothing in the PTS or the AFH which sets a speed limit for the maneuver. Second, while you may have been doing 134 mph on entry, you lose speed as soon as you start the maneuver, so you get the buffer you want. Third, the placard in that plane says "134 mph" as the entry speed for Pylon 8's, and you did just that. Finally, unless you pull over 3 g's during the maneuver (in which case you should bust for manhandling the plane), you haven't a chance of overloading the plane.

Of course, if you can't explain all that to the examiner, then you probably did need some more work before being an instructor. From your discussion, it seems you understand all that now, so perhaps it was a worthwhile learning experience. I think you now under stand that 134 mph is the maneuvering speed only at max gross, and when you're flying lighter, Va is lower (proportionate to the square root of gross weight).

Anyway, well done -- you've earned what I think is the most demanding certificate/rating the FAA authorizes.

1) Congratulations. That is a great accomplishment!
2) Thanks for the details. I'm likely to go for the CFI in a few years; it's very helpful to hear the experiences of others.
3) Did I mention Congratulations?!!!!!

First, congratulations!

Second, a couple of thoughts on this issue...
MarkL said:
He kept pestering me on which level I should
teach at and I kept saying the highest level... correlation but it
seemed like he didn't think that was right.
I would have answered that, while correlation is the ultimate goal, I would teach to the level appropriate for the particular lesson.

One example might be an emergency procedure...

I'd start out by having them memorize the applicable immediate action items for a particular emergency prior to the actual lesson...rote.

Then, I might review the appropriate checklists, item by item, and discuss why we're doing those particular items in that particular order...understanding.

Then, we'd go out and practice the procedure...application.

Along the way, we'd discuss in what ways an emergency procedure resembles a normal procedure and/or other emergency procedures...for example, the actual approach and landing portion of an engine-out procedure is simply a variation of our normal landing procedures. Or maybe it's the other way around.

Now, they've (hopefully) learned at the correlation level, but we used the "lower" levels as building blocks.

It's also important, at times, to be able to operate at the "rote" level...again, the immediate-action memory items for an emergency procedure would be a good example of this...we simply follow a memorized set of steps to take care of the immediate need..."fly the airplane, throttles full, props high rpm, flaps up, gear up, identify, verify, feather...", after which we begin to operate at the "higher" levels.

I honestly don't remember how this topic was discussed on my CFI oral, but that's how I'd answer it now ;)

Fly safe!

David

Funny thing about the FOI stuff -- it sounds like gibberish to me. Fortunately, since I have a teaching certificate (secondary level i.e. 7-12th grade, social studies) I don't need to take the FOI. However, my answers to such questions probably wouldn't synch with someone who is looking for the "FAA" answers.

Mark,

Somehow I missed this post. Consider this your official CONGRATULATIONS from me. :yes:

I know that you're official in 38J and 80U now...are you also official in Crete?

Back