My brother's Internet venture

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
My brother's been working long and hard on a new internet venture, and it's coming to fruition and release this summer. Today he finally unwrapped the beta enrollment with a teaser video. It's VERY cool, and I'm QUITE impressed with what they've done.

Check it out!

http://www.liveon.com

Troy:

Who knows what's around the corner, but this sure looks like a winner to me!

Oh my.....

This could be a winner....

Not being snarky: Is the revenue model ads, targeted ads, or the sale of personal data?

Pretty neat idea.

Not sure how well it'd work out in certain "forks" of my family tree who might regret that they recorded something nice and sweet after life handed them serious lemons...

I can just see it now, a lovely message from the past about marriage, years after everyone knew a giant blow-up/knock-down/drag-out divorce battle happened...

But definitely good for the more normal folk. ;) I really do like the idea, I just wonder how "interesting" it'll be in the world of "stranger than fiction" in certain families. :D

Not being snarky: Is the revenue model ads

ads are always an interesting topic. I run a YouTube partnered channel as well as a business website so I generally stay well versed in this area.

One website grabs around 2.5 million page views a month. It is paying around 58 cents per mile with AdSense and other networks.

For it to be worthwhile as a sole income, sole partner business, I would want to see around 20 million pages a month at the current advert rate of 2.2 per page (blended ads, within forums as well).

Hard yards to go this route, but to the OP... This site sounds fantastic!

Pretty neat idea.

Not sure how well it'd work out in certain "forks" of my family tree who might regret that they recorded something nice and sweet after life handed them serious lemons...

I can just see it now, a lovely message from the past about marriage, years after everyone knew a giant blow-up/knock-down/drag-out divorce battle happened...

But definitely good for the more normal folk. ;) I really do like the idea, I just wonder how "interesting" it'll be in the world of "stranger than fiction" in certain families. :D

Introduce a "skeleton" feature... Where you can allow people to unlock the past or things you want to hide.. Perhaps have the closet open after certain events are met and people want to see in... lol...

Firefox 3.6.17 doesn't like it on my computer. IE Version 8 does though as well as me.

Thanks guys, they've received your feedback, especially the browser issues.

Jonathan (my brother) says that the revenue model is neither ad nor subscription based, at this time.

The release rules aren't just time driven/triggered, so you can have something (a note, a video, a photo, etc.) released only when certain rules and restrictions are met. Life events can change what gets released. Therefore, if you leave a future note for your spouse and later get divorced from that person, you can specify that the note only gets released if you were still married to that individual at your death.

Skeletons in the closet, Geoff? They already have it, and call it the "Treasure Chest". Along with normal triggers, can ensure it doesn't get released to future family until x time after x date/event.

That's about all I can say for now... keep tuned, sign up for the beta if you want to try it.

I like Dr. Dave's synopsis... social networking that transcends time.

Anyone want to join my one man tribe, er, wolfpack?

Watching my niece graduate last weekend, my sister and I were commenting that we should start making video diaries so that when my niece had a daughter graduating some day, she'd know that her mother was just as proud of her as she would be of her daughter. She could watch the video when she could REALLY understand the feelings her mother had. This sort of site is perfect for that!

I once saw a book that sort of had the same concept. It asked the owner to answer a series of questions to record information for future generations to read. Questions over and above the standard "stats" that you get from records and standard documents.

I REALLY like the idea of this site. Kudos to your brother.

The only problem I see is the "guarantee" that the data will be kept forever. Is that really a possibility with the internet? How does one guarantee that 30 years from now, the business hasn't gone under, and the data is gone as the servers slowly disappear over time?

The only problem I see is the "guarantee" that the data will be kept forever. Is that really a possibility with the internet? How does one guarantee that 30 years from now, the business hasn't gone under, and the data is gone as the servers slowly disappear over time?

Egads! :nono:
:D

Of course, if "the business hasn't gone under", then it's still around, and so all is well.

More seriously, my brother's reply to this important question:

Jonathan said:
We are getting certified as a Trusted Digital Repository like the Library of Congress has done, and funding a trust that will keep digital assets in perpetuity regardless. LOVE the question because it means we've thought of people's concerns.

Obviously, the delivery mechanism may change in the future, as the Internet or other technologies evolve. But the goal is to ensure the data and messages are there, and translated into whatever format is appropriate at the time the message(s) are delivered or the archives are viewed.

Might even get more interest if he offers it as a way to "reach out beyond the grave to haunt your unborn relatives"!

It has launched and gone live! My brother, a student pilot, appreciated the visits he got from POA folks back when I first announced this. He'd like you all to get to experience the "premium" features of the site, and so has passed along a promo code that will let you try those. Perhaps you can "remember" the events of this Thanksgiving or Christmas by creating a memory on LiveOn.com?

Here is a treat you can give people to entice them to try LiveOn (and it always has a FREE version), but here's a way for them to try a month of Premium features:

1. Create a normal LiveOn user account.
2. Log onto liveon.com
3. Click on "ACCOUNT" in the top nab
4. Click on "SUBSCRIPTION" in the left nav.
5. Type in (don't copy and paste) this code: LOMONTH68UL

I'd be interested to know what you all think! They've done some impressive work.

In the middle of this blog post, look at the kind of video the site can easily assemble from your photos, videos and memories.

P.S.--I'm told they are pushing some new features at 4:30 CT / 5:30 ET today, so wait til this evening to do your stuff!

It has launched and gone live! My brother, a student pilot, appreciated the visits he got from POA folks back when I first announced this. He'd like you all to get to experience the "premium" features of the site, and so has passed along a promo code that will let you try those. Perhaps you can "remember" the events of this Thanksgiving or Christmas by creating a memory on LiveOn.com?

I'd be interested to know what you all think! They've done some impressive work.

In the middle of this blog post, look at the kind of video the site can easily assemble from your photos, videos and memories.

P.S.--I'm told they are pushing some new features at 4:30 CT / 5:30 ET today, so wait til this evening to do your stuff!

I just might check this out tomorrow....we're frying our first turkey. I suspect my unborn son might find some humor in our shenanigans 30 or 40 years from now when I'm a grandpacicle.

I just might check this out tomorrow....we're frying our first turkey. I suspect my unborn son might find some humor in our shenanigans 30 or 40 years from now when I'm a grandpacicle.

Ha! You're right, that'd be funny. Let me know how the frying turns out. We've thought about trying it that way, but I have trouble spending $30 on peanut oil to fry a $20 bird! Home Depot has a new oil-free turkey fryer out for display this year...

An oil-free turkey fryer? Doesnt that kind of defeat the purpose?? lol

Liveon seems like an amazing idea! Good luck to him!

I'll give him some advice. PUT CONTENT on the home page and lose the flash video which is the only thing there.

First off, it locks him out of people on iPads. Second, I'm disinclined to watch a video to find out what a site is. He can make the video available as a side bar put it should NOT be the primary way of finding out what a site is about.

I'll give him some advice. PUT CONTENT on the home page and lose the flash video which is the only thing there.

First off, it locks him out of people on iPads. Second, I'm disinclined to watch a video to find out what a site is. He can make the video available as a side bar put it should NOT be the primary way of finding out what a site is about.

I don't know about that. Facebook and Google have been able to generate a good amount of traffic with simple, content-less home pages. I think this site is looking for the same sort of mojo.

Video doesn't work for me. Says access denied. Could be firewalled here at work. Check when I get home.

And the best part is my brother is about to start flying again! He got his student pilot certificate after taking a ride with me, and he and his wife started taking lessons. He's joining a Kansas City club and re-sprouting his wings!

Vroom, vroom! Things are looking up!

attachment.php

Attachments

• LiveOn Car Rolex242-1.jpg
    LiveOn Car Rolex242-1.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 208
Racing at the Daytona 24 this year?

Today, LiveOn.com made SXSW's top five list for Technology Achievements!! Jon's up against the likes of projects from Google and IBM!!

http://sxsw.com/node/9995

All finalists are projects that were launched or completely redesigned in 2011, with the exception of the Classic category. The winners in each category will be revealed at the 15th Annual SXSW Interactive Awards Ceremony presented by HP on Tuesday evening, March 13 at the Hilton Austin Downtown.

Technical Achievement

These are the projects that are re-inventing and re-defining the technical parameters of our online experience.

Eye-fi iPad App
LiveOn
New Zealand's Homepage
THINK: An Exploration into Making the World Work Better
What Do You Love?

Racing at the Daytona 24 this year?

Yes, the Rolex 24 at Daytona. I caught some of it on Speedvision last night, and the car (#60) was in a switcheroo battle for first/second place... This morning, it looks like he's pulled ahead to a solid 1st place position, with six hours left to go!

470e806b-56fc-92d1.jpg

Yes, the Rolex 24 at Daytona. I caught some of it on Speedvision last night, and the car (#60) was in a switcheroo battle for first/second place... This morning, it looks like he's pulled ahead to a solid 1st place position, with six hours left to go!

470e806b-56fc-92d1.jpg

They won! Took first place. Awesome.

Neat, it's doomed to marginal successes with an off chance at becoming a fad like everything else that requires some effort, but it's a nice idea. People are just too lazy for the most part. Funny thing is this use idea is as old as the phonograph, you think the world would be filled by recordings of familial histories in all medias, but it's not.

I'll let him know. Were you using a link from earlier in this thread, or directly to LiveOn.com?

Cool. I dropped a note to the CEO :D Will let you know what he says. What kind of mobile device were you using?

Its happening on a pc too. See attached.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-01-30 at 12.02.53 AM.png
    Screen shot 2012-01-30 at 12.02.53 AM.png
    228.3 KB · Views: 24
Back