My accelerated IR experience (long)

AdamB

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
AdamB
I decided late last year to get my instrument rating. After dragging my private training out
for several years, I decided if and when the time came, I'd look seriously into the accelerated route. I decided on PIC, the 10 day accelerated course, and scheduled for a March 22 start date. I got the written out of the way quickly and went on to study for the oral as well as flying the ASA Instrument Procedures Trainer on my PC to help prepare as best I could.

Here’s my experience:
Day 1: Setup at my home office for today. Get to know each other and do some basic attitude flying on the simulator. Some ground school on Performance vs. Control instruments, along with other aircraft systems. Then we go out in the afternoon and fly. Basic attitude flying, timed turns, and fine tuning the “numbers” for my plane. More ground school on flight planning and weather scenarios.

Day 2: Set up at my flying clubs office at the airport for the remainder of the training. Walk through a flight planning exercise I did for homework. Lots of charts and approach plate discussions. Ground school on Navigation, VOR’s etc… Simulator work on VOR tracking, proceed direct, intercepting radials, and a “wagon wheel” exercise tracking various radials inbound and outbound from the VOR. Then moved right on to procedure turns some of which were partial panel on the sim.

Day 3: More flight planning discussion on some planning I did for homework. Lots of what if weather scenario discussion and why I chose not to make the trip (if it was for real). Discussed the route I picked and why. Ground school on holding procedures and holding entries. Simulator work on all entries initially with no wind, and then some realistic wind dialed in. Did several more “wagon wheel” exercises on the sim with some free time I had today. We then did some interception holding (locate position, intercept radial, get to intersection, and enter hold with proper entry). Did some more flight planning during a break so I didn’t have to do homework tonight.

Day 4: First thing get in the airplane and fly lots of holding patterns. Started off with an intersection hold for several trips around the racetrack. Then went to VOR holding and did all 3 entries a couple of times. There were ~15k crosswinds which kept it a little bumpy and certainly kept me busy getting a feel for real wind correction. Overall went well. Ground school on non-precision approaches and we then flew 5 or 6 on the simulator. Then shot four VOR approaches at two different airports later in the day. Debrief after. I certainly struggled a bit as everything seemed to happen so much faster in the airplane. Certainly need to think ahead more, and keep on top of exactly where I am and when I need to descend. I’m sure it’ll come with more practice.

Day 5: Did a few more non-precision approaches on the simulator in the morning. Then groundschool on precision approaches. Flew two or three on the simulator, both vectored and full approaches. Then we went out and flew 3 ILS approaches with a missed approach and the published hold on one of them. Then finished off with a VOR approach to end the day. Did much better today.

Day 6: Long cross country day. Flight planning, fuel calculations, and WX briefing, along with filing three separate flight plans for each leg of my trip. Trip went well, and ended up shooting an ILS, a LOC, a VOR, and then an ILS and a partial panel VOR approach to end the day. All approaches went well. On the LOC approach I had a pretty stiff quartering tail wind and almost blew through the Localizer but was able to catch it in time with some help from my instructor. Instructor said I was chasing the needle on the final partial panel VOR approach more then he’d seen me do previously. Key takeaway was small corrections early and be patient to wait for the results.

Next day we had a day off because of weather. It snowed about 4 inches and ceilings were low and surface temps too cold. Did some studying at home and flew some approaches on my PC.

Day 7: Flew 3-4 approaches on the simulator while waiting for the airplane to thaw out in the sun. Ended up having to work hard to get all the ice off as the wind was strong and temps still below freezing. We then went flying for about 4 hours. Shot a VOR, followed by a VOR-A, 2 ILS approaches, and finished with two VOR approaches with a circle to land. Still making a couple of mistakes which I need to correct. All in all, a better day.

Day 8: Flew to the area where I’ll be taking my checkride to make sure I’m familiar with all the approaches there and in the area. This was sort of a “signoff” ride. Things started off good enroute, but as we neared the airport, I blew right threw the localizer and never realized it. I get setup to re-intercept and the approach goes relatively well. We then do the published missed and hold at a VOR, goes pretty badly, didn’t compensate for the wind enough, and couldn’t re-intercept the inbound course prior to passing the station, which happens to be the FAF for the subsequent approach we’re doing. I was not feeling too good about things and we called off the approach and landed visually to debrief. I felt very frustrated and felt like I might never be ready to do a checkride on the 10th day. We debriefed over some breakfast and I did all I could to stay positive. We then headed out for some more practice, no sign off today. I did get to meet the examiner, and he told me where to plan a cross country to and he gave me his weight for doing a weight and balance. Shot a LOC, then 2 VOR approaches. We then took a break, and did some flight planning on the trip the examiner just gave me. Then back out for an ILS and some mock clearances for some enroute practice. Then finished off with another ILS. The afternoon went smooth, I didn’t make any mistakes and by the end of the day I started feeling more comfortable with all the approaches. A good finish to the day.

Day 9: Another attempt at a “signoff” ride went well. We ended up staying local because of fuel and weather. Did 3 partial panel VOR approaches, two of which were partial panel full approaches. Some more ground school and then rain started to fall. Surface temperatures were too low to risk the icing potential, so we completed about 5 more approaches on the simulator and I got my signoff. Go over paperwork and checkride is scheduled for 3 days from now mostly because of the weather outlook.

Checkride 4/3/2008: Began with the paperwork, and then on to the oral. Lots of weather and weather info, forecasts, and a few scenario type weather questions. All went pretty smoothly. The remainder focused mostly on the flight I planned, chart questions, approach plate questions, DP’s and obstacle clearances required on the return trip. Fuel requirements, and some other currency and other regulation questions. Then we went out to fly. All went pretty smoothly. Headed out enroute at first. Once established, we did some unusual attitudes, then came back towards the airport and did the full ILS approach with a HILOPT. Followed by the published missed approach. This got amended late due to conflicting traffic. So we headed back around and held at an intersection which is the FAF for the VOR approach. This terminated with a circle-to-land. We did a touch and go, and then headed back up and just as I got to my altitude and got an initial vector to a different VOR approach the AI and the HI just died. Partial panel timed turns to assigned headings. Intercept the inbound course, and do the approach. Went well, we landed and the examiner gave some congratulations to the newest instrument rated pilot before we even departed the runaway.

I was able to complete the 10 day course in 9 days. I think most of my preparation ahead of time was the main reason for this. It was certainly a lot of work, and I was exhausted at the end of every day, but it was worth it all.

Adam

Awesome man! Congrats on that! The IR had to be the most rewarding rating for me so far. Enjoy! B)

Thanks, Adam. Great post. It's motivating for those of us that are wanting to go for our rating.

Great write up, and congrats on the new rating! What's next on the agenda? Were you doing all your flying at Lawrence? This has been a nasty past week or two, you must have gotten quite a workout trying to train in this garbage!

Congratulations Adam!!! That's a tough rating in any length of time. I'm not sure I could do it in 9 days. Nice write-up.

Great write up, and congrats on the new rating! What's next on the agenda? Were you doing all your flying at Lawrence? This has been a nasty past week or two, you must have gotten quite a workout trying to train in this garbage!

Yeah it was pretty gusty for sure and cold. We flew up your way alot.
Actually my long cross country was to Portland, ME, then to Waterville, then to Sanford, and back to Lawrence. I took my checkride in Sanford. Next on the agenda is to fly in the system and start off slowly, contuinuing to build my confidence and experience up.

Yeah it was pretty gusty for sure and cold. We flew up your way alot.
Actually my long cross country was to Portland, ME, then to Waterville, then to Sanford, and back to Lawrence. I took my checkride in Sanford. Next on the agenda is to fly in the system and start off slowly, contuinuing to build my confidence and experience up.

Waterville...you probably buzzed my house! :) If you're ever back in the neighborhood and want some lunch (or a safety pilot), let me know.

Great writeup, and congratulations! The IR is so rewarding (and demanding!)

I enjoyed you post. Congratulations. I hope it does encourage others to get their Instrument Airplane by whatever method. IMHO, nothing improves your airplane utilization and safety like actively flying IFR.

Back