My 2nd solo (Video inside)

Meanee

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Meanee
So, on Saturday, I did another solo. Feeling a bit more comfortable with aircraft and flying. So comfortable, that I realized on first crosswind that my door is not properly latched. So abrupt camera shake you will see is me closing the door.

While solo went good, on the way back, me and my CFI did a simulated instrument. And with me under hood, and CFI being a safety pilot, we almost had a midair collision. CFI banked aircraft sharp to the left, yoke hit me on the hand pretty hard. Scary moment, but since I did not see the aircraft, I guess I am not as shaken up as I am supposed to be. That's not on camera, however.

Link to the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMMJ0wrEkFA

Due to Youtube rules, I had to trim the video a little bit, and looks like I cut off right after touchdown. Anyway, have fun watching, and I am sure I will get criticism.

Nice! What airport? And I'm curious as to what you're using for a camera?

It's a Queen City Municipal airport (KXLL) in Allentown, PA. The camera is a Casio. I do not remember it's exact model, but I believe it's very similar to EX-ZR100. The mount is Panavise 809 from Amazon, cost around 20 bucks.

Centerline!!

As a pre-solo student I got chewed out (in a constructive and polite way) by my Chief CFI for not really caring too much about landing on the centerline. It was a rough day for a 10 hour student in a 152 (10g15 direct xwind) but I was not landing on the centerline (the rwy is 140ft wide I figured it did not matter if I was 10 feet off).

He gave me a spiel on why a good pilot always shoots for the centerline - it gives you the greatest margin for error if you get kicked around by an unexpected gust. If the winds are rough enough that you think you might not be able to land it on the centerline, that's a good day to stay home or do something safe like chain smoke cigarettes or drive on the freeway while texting.

Anyway congrats on obtaining your solo status! Practice landing on that centerline and good luck with the rest of your training!!

There's a tree on approach. On that runway, I prefer to land slightly to the left of the centerline.

There's a tree on approach. On that runway, I prefer to land slightly to the left of the centerline.

Don't get in this habit. I always landed left of centerline, don't know why, I just did. Its a VERY hard habit to break and you must be on centerline for small runways.

Don't settle for anything but dead nuts on the line from touchdown to being fully stopped. On the big runways, its overkill, but drop into a 2400x20' strip and you'll be glad you practiced.

Ask the CFI, if you can clear the tree, centerline. If you can't....... the tree needs to be cut down.

I liked that wind scoop on the window. Nice video

Centerline!!

As a pre-solo student I got chewed out (in a constructive and polite way) by my Chief CFI for not really caring too much about landing on the centerline. It was a rough day for a 10 hour student in a 152 (10g15 direct xwind) but I was not landing on the centerline (the rwy is 140ft wide I figured it did not matter if I was 10 feet off).

He gave me a spiel on why a good pilot always shoots for the centerline - it gives you the greatest margin for error if you get kicked around by an unexpected gust. If the winds are rough enough that you think you might not be able to land it on the centerline, that's a good day to stay home or do something safe like chain smoke cigarettes or drive on the freeway while texting.

Anyway congrats on obtaining your solo status! Practice landing on that centerline and good luck with the rest of your training!!

If everyone landed on the centerline, the wear on the center section would increase. By landing to one side or the other, you distribute the wear and reduce airport maintainance costs.

It's a matter of public service.

If everyone landed on the centerline, the wear on the center section would increase. By landing to one side or the other, you distribute the wear and reduce airport maintainance costs.

And besides, I don't want to get wheels dirty by picking up all the black stuff from centerline :D

Don't get in this habit. I always landed left of centerline, don't know why, I just did. Its a VERY hard habit to break and you must be on centerline for small runways.

Don't settle for anything but dead nuts on the line from touchdown to being fully stopped. On the big runways, its overkill, but drop into a 2400x20' strip and you'll be glad you practiced.

Ask the CFI, if you can clear the tree, centerline. If you can't....... the tree needs to be cut down.

It's only that particular runway. I find myself on the centerline in every other field. Most narrow strip I ever landed on was 75' (same as one you see) and worked out well. But that tree just not making me very comfortable.

Noticed during taxi you are moving the yoke around. (5:30min in) Looks like you are unconsciously trying to steer the plane with the yoke. Orient for wind direction and hold it there.

To break your habit, have your CFI do wind correction and sit on your hands for taxi.

Other than that, looks good. Congrats on the 2nd solo.

There was actually ZERO wind that day. I only noticed the yoke movement after reviewing the video. I am pretty well adjusted to use pedals only, and yoke for wind correction. Guess this was more of a subconscious thing.

Everybody has already talked about the things I noticed... Except.... It is always helpful to have the keys in the ignition when you call "CLEAR!" Sorry, I had a little chuckle at your expense. Practice and experience is what will smooth it all out eventually. Keep Flying!

I just yell "Never Mind!" out the window when I forget the keys. ;)

(Kidding. But everyone's done it.)

haha for me it was a matter of following a checklist. "Prop clear" to me means checking 360 degrees and yell it out. Then go for the keys. And I guess pause will give a little bit of time for whoever may be hiding under the plane to run for safety!

I'm guessing you're joking with the OP. On my first solo x/c I jumped out of the 152 and the line guy says "Welcome to Shiloh Airport!" (I had actually landed at martinsville, where I was supposed to!) At any rate landing a 152 probably does not put too much wear on the runway.

Land on the centerline. Practice it, get used to tracking the centerline. You don't want to go for a checkride with the examiner and land off the center... not only will you get a funny look but he can fail you! Its in the PTS that you must land "aligned with the center/path of the runway, and with no side drift" or something along those lines.

And about the tree... plenty of room to move and get lined up after you clear the tree. I understand if the tree is making you nervous, but like others have said ask your cfi. Maybe let him land it and show you that you can clear the tree by a good margin. With experience and practice you'll be greasing it on the centerline in no time

Last edited:
Back