MVR and GPS Database

JOhnH

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Right Seater
My wife has put her IFR training on hold for now. Co-incidentally, the Jeppessen subscription for updates to the Garmin 530w expires tomorrow. Can she still fly MVR with an outdated IFR GPS?

And I know this is a question for Jeppessen, but if I temporarily discontinue the update subscription, can I start it back up later with no penalty or startup fee or anything?

My wife has put her IFR training on hold for now. Co-incidentally, the Jeppessen subscription for updates to the Garmin 530w expires tomorrow. Can she still fly MVR with an outdated IFR GPS?

And I know this is a question for Jeppessen, but if I temporarily discontinue the update subscription, can I start it back up later with no penalty or startup fee or anything?

What is MVR?

What is MVR?

That is how someone that is going to be sixty years old soon spells VFR. (Especially someone that worked for a software company that supplies Motor Vehicle Records to insurance companies and State enforcement agencies for a couple of decades).

And what I meant by "an outdated IFR GPS" is an out of date aviation database.

Last edited:
That is how someone that is going to be sixty years old soon spells VFR. (Especially someone that worked for a software company that supplies Motor Vehicle Records to insurance companies and State enforcement agencies for a couple of decades).

:rofl::rofl::rofl: The answer to that is 'Yes, she's good to fly VFR'.

Don't need a GPS to fly VFR. So definitely don't need a current GPS database to fly VFR.

For that matter, you don't need a current GPS database to fly IFR /G either. If the pilot can ensure that the waypoints and approaches to be used are accurate then the pilot can fly IFR with an expired DB.

Don't need a GPS to fly VFR. So definitely don't need a current GPS database to fly VFR.

For that matter, you don't need a current GPS database to fly IFR /G either. If the pilot can ensure that the waypoints and approaches to be used are accurate then the pilot can fly IFR with an expired DB.
AFaIK, that's only true if the AFMS for the GPS in question states that this is acceptable or at least doesn't specify that the DB must be current for IFR use.

AFaIK, that's only true if the AFMS for the GPS in question states that this is acceptable or at least doesn't specify that the DB must be current for IFR use.
Yup. But as long as there is no such restriction, the way to check the approaches is to compare the amendment date in the lower left corner of the approach chart with the expiration date of the database.

Back