Mutt Muffs?

FlyGirlKHWO

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
FlyGirl
Hi, guys,

I'm planning my first big x-c next month (S Fl to San Antonio, TX) and want to take my Westie.

Has anyone tried Mutt Muffs to reduce noise for their dogs?

I looked on Sporty's and the reviews were just so-so.

Any first-hand input much appreciated!

Dogs seem to care a lot less about airplane noise than they do about having their head being put into a Shatner every time they go flying!

I would be more worried about how your pup is going to do in a small cabin up in the sky.

Thanks for posting those, Mike. Think I'm going to pass on the Muffs and see if i can improvise something for Kip. Another $54 saved!

My wife bought mutt muffs for our bloodhounds. After letting them wear them at mealtime, putting them on in the plane was a non issue. She has used cotton in the ears in the past and it seems to help. We think the noise has more to do with nervousness than anything else. Honestly the dogs don't seem to have an inherent fear of flying.

I tried the mutt muffs in flight but they didn't fit well enough to see if they worked. I am waiting on someone to come out with an ANR set. Not that I would buy them.

Honestly the dogs don't seem to have an inherent fear of flying.

That's been my experience with some Pilots-n-Paws flights. As soon as the dog realizes its just a noisier version of a car, they settle down and go to sleep.

Dogs seem to care a lot less about airplane noise than they do about having their head being put into a Shatner every time they go flying!

I would be more worried about how your pup is going to do in a small cabin up in the sky.

I've taken him up on a couple of short flight at low altitude. This will be the first serious flight at 9-10,000 ft.

Mutt muffs end up being an expensive collar. Dimes to donuts once you get your pup above 5k, it'll be fast asleep. Haven't yet seen one that isn't lulled to dreamland by the drone of the engine, the vibration and oxygen deprivation. If you're really worried, a small crate is very comforting.

Lessons learned over many, many PnP flights.

Mutt Muffs suck!

(how many times am I going to say this before getting sued?)

OH...IN MY OPINION...Mutt Muffs suck!

If you want something that might afford your dog some real protection then check out http://www.4pawsaviation.com/

After one wear, Baxter's mutt muffs became a very expensive chew toy. I sent an email to the company to inquire about getting a replacement strap but never got a reply. He's done fine without anything so he just goes without now. The muff themselves don't seem to do much passive noise cancelation without cinching them pretty tight anyway, so I'm not sure they do a lot of good.

I've taken him up on a couple of short flight at low altitude. This will be the first serious flight at 9-10,000 ft.

If you want to try a pair I can send you some. My labs wore them, but when they came off they didn't care. Now they do great with nothing but a blanket up to about 16k.

Back