Mustang Beach Airport (KRAS) Open House, Port Aransas, TX, Sat, 4/20/13

Jay Honeck

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jay Honeck
Wow, this little fly-in is really starting to come together! Here's the line-up, thus far:

Saturday, April 20, 2013

Start: 10 AM. End: 10 PM

Food:
Our local coffee house will be doing the coffee set up for early arrivals.

Shrimp boil provided by Bob Pettit, owner of Port A Brewery and Beaches Restaurant. Fresh gulf shrimp! (Bob owns a Murphy Moose, among other kewl aircraft.)

Beverages:
Beer, wine, and pop will be provided by the Port Aransas VFW.

Live music:
We've got two groups booked thus far. Dance the day/night away!

Transportation:
Mary and I will be providing shuttle service to/from our hotel, Amelia's Landing Hotel. Golf carts will be available for rental.

Hotel Reservations:
Mention Pilots of America and save 10% at Amelia's Landing. Membership in EAA or AOPA scores the same discount.

Skydiving:
Demonstrations and tandem jumps will be happening.

Static Displays:
One of our co-organizers is in the military. If the sequester hasn't shut them down entirely, we will have some stuff from the nearby Naval Air Station on display. We will also have civilian aircraft, of course.

This is going to be a blast! Bring the family to the best beach on the Gulf for the weekend, and scarf down some of our amazing seafood whilst enjoying the camaraderie of a small-town fly-in!

Bumping this back up. Be here on Saturday, 4/20/13!

BTW: The coffee house will be setting up shop in our hangar, and we're gonna be hosting. So stop by for a nice cup of joe, and chew the fat before hitting the shrimp boil and the beach!

Another bump to the top. This event is this weekend, folks! It's gonna be one for the books -- c'mon down and get yourself some island time!
--
Jay

Wow, this little fly-in is really starting to come together! Here's the line-up, thus far:

Saturday, April 20, 2013

Start: 10 AM. End: 10 PM

Food:
Our local coffee house will be doing the coffee set up for early arrivals.

Shrimp boil provided by Bob Pettit, owner of Port A Brewery and Beaches Restaurant. Fresh gulf shrimp! (Bob owns a Murphy Moose, among other kewl aircraft.)

Beverages:
Beer, wine, and pop will be provided by the Port Aransas VFW.

Live music:
We've got two groups booked thus far. Dance the day/night away!

Transportation:
Mary and I will be providing shuttle service to/from our hotel, Amelia's Landing Hotel. Golf carts will be available for rental.

Hotel Reservations:
Mention Pilots of America and save 10% at Amelia's Landing. Membership in EAA or AOPA scores the same discount.

Skydiving:
Demonstrations and tandem jumps will be happening.

Static Displays:
One of our co-organizers is in the military. If the sequester hasn't shut them down entirely, we will have some stuff from the nearby Naval Air Station on display. We will also have civilian aircraft, of course.

This is going to be a blast! Bring the family to the best beach on the Gulf for the weekend, and scarf down some of our amazing seafood whilst enjoying the camaraderie of a small-town fly-in!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Woot! We've got clearing skies, diminishing winds, and a great event ahead. For the first time since we opened in 2010 we may actually hold a fly in that isn't crushed by monsoon rains! (It's rained hard and long here precisely twice since then. Both storms hit during scheduled fly-in events.)

Coffee and danish starts tomorrow (Saturday) morning at 8 AM, at our hangar. This runs till noon, with gourmet coffee provided by our local "Starbucks clone", Coffee Waves.

At 11 AM the shrimp boil begins, sponsored by Beaches restaurant, and runs till 3 PM, or whenever it's gone. Price is $10. This will be held a couple of hangars down from ours. Later, music and dancing will begin at another hangar. (All hangars are in a row, and are easily walkable.)

Looking for a biplane ride over the island? The CAF will have a Stearman here hawking rides. Want to see what skydiving over Mustang Island is like? Skydive South Texas is one of our co-sponsors, and will take you up. Need a golf cart for the day? Coastal Ed's is also a co-sponsor, and will have a fleet available at the airport.

Need a room? As I'm typing this we have two left at our aviation themed hotel, Amelia's Landing. We will provide transportation to/from the airport, as always.

If you need to park on pavement plan on arriving early. We have limited ramp space, but ample tied owns in the grass. If half the people make it that say they're coming, it's going to be very busy.

C'mon down and get some island time!

sounds awesome, Jay! One of these days, my friend ... one of these days!

My friend called me from this fly-in today. Said it was a good time and looked like they an out of room to park airplanes.

Dang, Jay.

One of these years I swear I'll make it back.

Sounds like an outstanding time.

Dang, Jay.

One of these years I swear I'll make it back.

Sounds like an outstanding time.

It was...AMAZING. After a week of crap weather, the skies cleared, the wind was down the runway, and all the stars aligned for a fabulous fly-in!

Our coffee house/hangar was a great hit, the shrimp boil was delicious (and sold out), the live music rocked, the beer was cold, and the flying was hot! The Stearman was busy all day, giving rides over the island, the skydivers did nine loads in the afternoon, and we ran out of ramp space. We had the most gorgeous planes here -- and LOTS of RVs.

Amelia's Landing was packed to the gills with pilots (I've made four trips to the airport this morning already, with more to come), and we all had a blast. I am exhausted, but I can't sleep yet -- we're getting demo rides in and RV-8 this afternoon! Yee haw!

We are hoping to do another fly in this coming November. I will post details once we pick a date!

Edit: BTW, all proceeds went to the Boy Scouts, so they want to thank everyone who flew in and made it an awesome day!

First time to Mustang beach, I got there early enough to get a parking spot on the hard surface which was good (RV nose dragger). The pattern was busy two or three planes in the pattern at all times. The shrimp boil was great.
Overall it was very well organized fly-in and I will definately be back to the next one.

I am still waiting for Jay's response to his RV-8 ride...:dunno:

It was amazing.

A few things surprised me.

1. Getting in the back hole is no fun, but once inside I had a lot more room than expected. Easily more shoulder room than two guys in my Pathfinder allow.

2. Luggage space is MUCH larger than I thought. Our demo pilot (Jay Pratt) and his wife brought chairs, a cooler, two duffle bags... The compartment behind the seat is huge.

3. Two fingers. That's all I ever used in flight. Well, except for when I did a roll.
:)

4. Visibility forward from the backseat is nil. We did a low high speed approach (of course!) and I flew it down to about 100' before the world disappeared. I told Jay P. to take it at that point, cuz I could not see well enough to judge height. Landing from back there would be, um, interesting.

5. Visibility in all other quadrants is stunning. Panoramic, even.

6. Stability. This thing is like a lawn dart. Now, of course, it was a perfect day, and we were flying in the still air over the water, but I was amazed how you could lay it over at a 45 degree angle and it would just STAY there.

7. No rudders? No problem. The back seat of Jay Pratt's plane has no rudder pedals. I never needed them in flight.

8. How does on transition from back to front seat? It seems like training from the back is not possible, and as an instructor there isn't enough instrumentation in back to allow a student to sit up front?

Last edited:
And in conclusion...here is a picture of our airport during the fly-in last weekend. This was taken as things were starting to thin out, but you can see we had great attendance!

Thanks, all for coming!

551419_518597348176164_55772741_n.jpg

Nice turnout!

I gotta get back to Port A soon.

And in conclusion...here is a picture of our airport during the fly-in last weekend. This was taken as things were starting to thin out, but you can see we had great attendance!

Thanks, all for coming!

551419_518597348176164_55772741_n.jpg

Super turn out..... The Chamber of Commerce should love you guys... And, with 3 planes waiting to back taxi, one in the run up area and at least one in the pattern;),, how did you guys do it without a control tower:dunno:;):D

Super turn out..... The Chamber of Commerce should love you guys... And, with 3 planes waiting to back taxi, one in the run up area and at least one in the pattern;),, how did you guys do it without a control tower:dunno:;):D

Actually, one of our co-sponsors is a Major in the Air Force. He owns our local skydiving operation, and occasionally flies C-5s to Afghanistan. He was our "guy on the handheld", and did a great job of sorting things out.

The lack of a full length taxiway is not normally a problem, but we could have used one during the fly in. As you can see from the pic, building one would require filling in the swamp, er, "wetland" -- which means that it will never happen.

Taxiways are so overrated anyway! Many of the Florida little airports don't have taxiways.

You made it sound wonderful and the pictures are great, thanks for sharing. Was it taken from the RV8

Jay:
Will you be doing the Veterans Day event again this year?

Yup, we're gonna be giving away Sunday, November 10th to all current duty military and veterans, in recognition of their service. That way they will wake up to breakfast in bed on Veterans Day.
:D

Wow that' really very great i am impressed and i like this i just want to say here that you should book the transfer service by your air port you just book your flight and ask them for the transfer facility service to your home or any where you want to go after arrived they will booked your transfer service and this is very luxury and dropped you to your home with your all luggage

Huh :dunno::dunno::confused::confused:

Ps.... First post............ Welcome to POA..:cheers:

Wow that' really very great i am impressed and i like this i just want to say here that you should book the transfer service by your air port you just book your flight and ask them for the transfer facility service to your home or any where you want to go after arrived they will booked your transfer service and this is very luxury and dropped you to your home with your all luggage

Um, what? :D

"Transfer by Subaru."

---

It wuz a spam'r.

Back