Must an AWC be original?

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
I cant seem to find definitive reference. I know absent a regulation that says yes, a copy would be fine, but that doesn't seem correct...

Is a copy of an airworthiness certificate sufficient for airworthiness of an airplane or must the original be displayed?

If I recall correctly, standard airworthiness certificates have printed on them somewhere "Any alteration, reproduction, or misuse of this certificate may be punishable blah blah blah..."

I'm no lawyer but my gut says that if reproduction is punishable then your answer is that you must display the original.

Yes, it needs to be the original. It isn't a huge deal to get a new one. We lost ours a few years ago, and I just had to bring the logbooks to FSDO (with appointment). They spent about 10-15 minutes or so going through them to verify the plane was in current compliance (to the extent you can determine in a 15 minute logbook review), issued the new one on the spot.

Jeff

Yes, it needs to be the original. It isn't a huge deal to get a new one. We lost ours a few years ago, and I just had to bring the logbooks to FSDO (with appointment). They spent about 10-15 minutes or so going through them to verify the plane was in current compliance (to the extent you can determine in a 15 minute logbook review), issued the new one on the spot.

Jeff
I figured as much. But do you know where such a requirement is dictated?

If I recall correctly, standard airworthiness certificates have printed on them somewhere "Any alteration, reproduction, or misuse of this certificate may be punishable blah blah blah..."

I'm no lawyer but my gut says that if reproduction is punishable then your answer is that you must display the original.
Saw that. But the wording is vague and could be interpreted such that the alteration or reproduction is not allowed only on cases of misuse (can't remember the exact wording).

A FAR or AC reference would be better if one exists.

91.203 states the certificate must be displayed. Nothing in the reg says a copy may be displayed.

Saw that. But the wording is vague and could be interpreted such that the alteration or reproduction is not allowed only on cases of misuse (can't remember the exact wording).

A FAR or AC reference would be better if one exists.
I'd think if you found the answer to that it would be found somewhere in the CFR that applied to any official government document. Not just aviation related stuff

Back