Musicians...

Playing notes is about developing a skill and gaining knowledge... being a musician is about having "big ears". In general, the drummer is going to drive. He/she sets the tempo and defines the pocket. If your drummer is actually doing this, it sounds like your guitar player was not. Furthermore, if he could not hear that he was not playing with the rest of you guys, you can't fix that.

For most humans, life is bigger than music or art; hopefully you guys will have something else to relate about... like an arch enemy or something (You know, like Steve Spurrier was to Vol fans in the 90s).

Ok. Ok. Ok... we got School of Rock (kicked from band) but not Marky Mark getting kicked from the band in Rock Star? That was also a good musiciam movie... but Marky was the singer, not guitar player...

Now then... I got my lyric snippets of Peg correct.

I'm getting thrown from a band I was never in. That's just mean.

Note: I always call Mark Whalberg "Marky Mark" but I DON'T like anything he did under that name. I like his movies (not acting, movies). My GF is so use to me calling him Marky Mark that she bought me one of thier records 'Good Vibrations' for my birthday. HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

Just ask him what's so dang hard. They're all just four chords! ;)

(Posted for mother****** bird plane reference mostly since it is PoA after all. Haha. All the way near the end...).

Playing notes is about developing a skill and gaining knowledge... being a musician is about having "big ears". In general, the drummer is going to drive. He/she sets the tempo and defines the pocket. If your drummer is actually doing this, it sounds like your guitar player was not. Furthermore, if he could not hear that he was not playing with the rest of you guys, you can't fix that.

For most humans, life is bigger than music or art; hopefully you guys will have something else to relate about... like an arch enemy or something (You know, like Steve Spurrier was to Vol fans in the 90s).
Unfortunately we all asked him to come out and eat lunch with us and he never replied, I have i messeging so I know he read mine, he also threw a major tantrum, when we asked him to improve his attitude or leave. It sucks, we are a close family.

Family or not, sometimes the only thing left is to tell that person to move on.

This comes from experience. Life is much better without the person we told to change their attitude or leave.

My thought is that any adult that throws a tantrum needs to seek professional help. Maybe it would work out better to suggest that to this person, and to let you know how it is working out before he can come back.

Family or not, sometimes the only thing left is to tell that person to move on.

This comes from experience. Life is much better without the person we told to change their attitude or leave.

My thought is that any adult that throws a tantrum needs to seek professional help. Maybe it would work out better to suggest that to this person, and to let you know how it is working out before he can come back.
I'm gonna go ahead and not do that, I can only see that ending in more conflict which I don't really need. but yeah things went a lot more smoothly without him at practice. We can all cooperate without him but when we try to tell him somthing he did wrong he refused to accept it, it's a shame because he really is quite good, and his style was a big part of what we did writing wise.

Time to move on.

I hear Neil Peart is retiring and breaking up Rush, so Alex Lifeson might be looking for a new gig. Give him a call.

(Of course, he might expect you to play like Geddy Lee...)

BTW - who gives a rip how long someone's been playing? I've been picking guitar for about 45 years now and I still suck.

Time to move on.

I hear Neil Peart is retiring and breaking up Rush, so Alex Lifeson might be looking for a new gig. Give him a call.

(Of course, he might expect you to play like Geddy Lee...)

BTW - who gives a rip how long someone's been playing? I've been picking guitar for about 45 years now and I still suck.
Rush retired a while ago man :) and yeah, I'm pretty good, but Alex is gonna need somone better than me to fill in for Geddy ;)

Rush retired a while ago man :) and yeah, I'm pretty good, but Alex is gonna need somone better than me to fill in for Geddy ;)

RUSH hasn't retired.

On April 29, 2015, Alex Lifeson stated in an interview R40 might be the final large-scale Rush tour due to his psoriatic arthritis and Peart's chronic tendinitis.[81] However, he did not rule out future projects with the band, including smaller tours and limited performances, and even stated he would like to work on soundtracks with Geddy Lee.[82] On December 7, 2015, Peart stated in an interview he was retiring. Lee clarified the following day Peart had only retired from touring and was not ruling out continuing work with Rush in other capacities.[83][84] Lifeson confirmed in 2016 the R40 tour was the band's last large-scale tour.[85]

Last edited:
aPG2yRn_700b.jpg

...I'm pretty good, but Alex is gonna need somone better than me to fill in for Geddy ;)

You mean you can't play synth with your feet while singing and also playing complex bass riffs over Peart's wild rhythms and changing time signatures? :)

I don't think there's anyone on the planet who can match Geddy.

I'm gonna go ahead and not do that, I can only see that ending in more conflict which I don't really need. but yeah things went a lot more smoothly without him at practice. We can all cooperate without him but when we try to tell him somthing he did wrong he refused to accept it, it's a shame because he really is quite good, and his style was a big part of what we did writing wise.
How's his cowbell chops?

You mean you can't play synth with your feet while singing and also playing complex bass riffs over Peart's wild rhythms and changing time signatures? :)

I don't think there's anyone on the planet who can match Geddy.
There is. Les claypool, for one, Esperanza spalding, atam nitti a few other cats.

RUSH hasn't retired.

On April 29, 2015, Alex Lifeson stated in an interview R40 might be the final large-scale Rush tour due to his psoriatic arthritis and Peart's chronic tendinitis.[81] However, he did not rule out future projects with the band, including smaller tours and limited performances, and even stated he would like to work on soundtracks with Geddy Lee.[82] On December 7, 2015, Peart stated in an interview he was retiring. Lee clarified the following day Peart had only retired from touring and was not ruling out continuing work with Rush in other capacities.[83][84] Lifeson confirmed in 2016 the R40 tour was the band's last large-scale tour.[85]
They retired from touring, it seems. I was under the impression they retired all together, I was mistaken.

They retired from touring, it seems. I was under the impression they retired all together, I was mistaken.

So they say. How many of the old groups are still at it? Look at McCartney, Chicago, Stones, all 50+ years and still touring.

Believe me, it was not fun nor was it easy for my parents to tell my sister to leave. It did cause a lot of terrible grief for a few months. Bad part is, my sister was at rock bottom and has stayed there for the last 30 years. Back in the 80s it was called tough love.

And sorry, I did not mean it to sound as if I was telling you what to do. Just suggestions based on life experience.

Believe me, it was not fun nor was it easy for my parents to tell my sister to leave. It did cause a lot of terrible grief for a few months. Bad part is, my sister was at rock bottom and has stayed there for the last 30 years. Back in the 80s it was called tough love.

And sorry, I did not mean it to sound as if I was telling you what to do. Just suggestions based on life experience.
No no no, I get where you are going I am in no way offended or offput by what you said.

I was an 'instrument player'...I was below average but was driven. My band-mates did too many drugs and blew the money we made...they acted like your cousin on the attitude side when they were called out.

This was the 80's and we didn't play hair metal...we played anything but hair metal and drew a large crowd of people who could afford to buy beer.

I gave up one day when a guy asked me how much for me to rent him my PA, haul his band gear to Bulls Gaps TN and run sound for him. The pay ended up being about 5 times what I got paid to play AND provide PA. Many, many millions of dollars of revenue later, I don't regret putting my instrument down and I don't miss the "musicians" attitiude.

I was an 'instrument player'...I was below average but was driven. My band-mates did too many drugs and blew the money we made...they acted like your cousin on the attitude side when they were called out.

This was the 80's and we didn't play hair metal...we played anything but hair metal and drew a large crowd of people who could afford to buy beer.

I gave up one day when a guy asked me how much for me to rent him my PA, haul his band gear to Bulls Gaps TN and run sound for him. The pay ended up being about 5 times what I got paid to play AND provide PA. Many, many millions of dollars of revenue later, I don't regret putting my instrument down and I don't miss the "musicians" attitiude.
I couldn't put my instruments down, it's a major stress reliever for me. I'm not trying to be a career musician or anything, but I do practice very hard and I'm quite good

I am in no way a musician, shoot, I can't even play the radio. But, I hang out with several, many who are very good musicians.
One band had a drummer who was pretty doggone good for the first set, then he'd start getting out of whack. He hadda go.
They got another drummer, then the male vocalist, started getting too drunk to perform well, he hadda go. Then they wound up doing quite well. But Life got in the way. Two of the members (female vocalist, and guitar player) got together and started over. They have a pretty decent band, and are doing OK.

I couldn't put my instruments down, it's a major stress reliever for me. I'm not trying to be a career musician or anything, but I do practice very hard and I'm quite good
Right on. I wasn't trying to be a career musician either...but the lackadaisical attitude and constant drama was enough for me to remove myself from dealing with this on a recurring basis.

So Jim, you're saying your cousin can't quite do this?

Behold the power of the man-bun, by the way... LOL...

Back