Musical covers - dead ringers

IMO, the two best "covers" of all time:

Original:

Cover:

Original:

Cover:

And, unlike Stevie Nicks' version, you can understand the words!

Stevie's voice is great, she just always has a mouth full of marbles.

I think I read some story about how some folks on reddit or something banded together to try to petition Weezer to cover Africa. Weezer then trolled the reddit guys by covering another Toto song before finally relenting and covering Africa. Don’t know if true or if I even remember what I heard correctly but kind of funny if it is.

Edit: google appears to agree
https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-...aign-meme-a8374186.html?utm_source=reddit.com

Ok, that is hilarious.

I'm not a Springsteen fan, but I have to admit, his cover of Lourde's Royals fit squarely within his style.

I prefer the covers that don't like dead ringers. It does take a lot of talent to pull that off, but I actually prefer hearing a little different take on the original (of course, sometimes they are not very good.)

If you are going to just recreate the original sound, then what's the f******* point?

I'm not a Springsteen fan, but I have to admit, his cover of Lourde's Royals fit squarely within his style.

Ok, that's crap, and it's really sad when old worn out "talent" tries to capture some of the luster of younger talent to try to make themselves somewhat relevant again.

Ok, that's crap, and it's really sad when old worn out "talent" tries to capture some of the luster of younger talent to try to make themselves somewhat relevant again.

Perhaps, but I thought it was entertaining.

I like Bruce, haven't seen him yet but hope to. When he tours he's one of the top draws every time. His shows are like 3-4 hours so you get your money's worth. He still records new material so he is relevant. Not everyone cares for him which is fine.

This is sort of a semi cover - Trent Reznor is working the keyboards but Peter Murphy is doing the vocals.

Did someone say, "Dread Zeppelin?"

Nauga,
uncovered

Simon and Garfunkel's "America" performed by Yes

More Led Zeppelin: First time I heard this version I was driving somewhere to grab lunch and had to sit in the parking lot until it finished.

Can't find the original (The Beatles), but Joe Cocker made it his. Then John Belushi doing Joe Cocker did it on SNL back when I used to watch it.

One of my favorites, it's just a bunch of folks having fun:

That is seriously awesome! I have never seen a thing like that. I would have joined that group too just for the experience. It would have been easy since I like the Foo Fighters. I really hope that the Foo Fighters (actually aviation related!!) did in fact come and perform for those people.

Well, this isn't a dead ringer, but how many of you knew that Blinded By the Light by Manfred Man was actually a cover? Originally written and recorded by Bruce Springsteen. And if everybody would have realized it was a cover and went back to Bruce's lyrics there wouldn't have been so much debate about 'that word'. It's Deuce. :D

I look at is as just giving back. How many times has Bruce Springsteen been covered? Enough that it really doesn't matter what some guy on an aviation forum thinks about "worn out talent".

Is it a cover if you also did the original?

Enough that it really doesn't matter what some guy on an aviation forum thinks about "worn out talent".
It's not just any guy on a forum. It's me.

And to be fair, Bruce's body of work is just overhyped schlock.

That awful cover is the equivalent of Madona trying to ride the Brittany Spears promotion machine by French kissing her on stage well past Madonna's sell by date.

Last edited:
Well, this isn't a dead ringer, but how many of you knew that Blinded By the Light by Manfred Man was actually a cover? Originally written and recorded by Bruce Springsteen. And if everybody would have realized it was a cover and went back to Bruce's lyrics there wouldn't have been so much debate about 'that word'. It's Deuce. :D

It don't sound like no deuce!

Oh, look what Youtube thought I wanted to see next:

Capture.JPG

Koto is an instrumental group that does covers on instrumental songs:

I prefer the covers that don't like dead ringers. It does take a lot of talent to pull that off, but I actually prefer hearing a little different take on the original (of course, sometimes they are not very good.)

I agree. I'm a big fan of Weezer and enjoyed the cover, but I think I would have liked it more if they put a little more of their flavor into it.

Back