Music mute problems with my 20 3G (Lightspeed)

wpierce

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
wpierce
(cross post)

On my flight this weekend when I got transferred from departure to Center I plugged in the xm radio like I always do and noticed right away that the music mute function had quit working. Has anyone ever experienced this with their Lightspeed headset? If so was it fixable by you or did you have to send it in?

I've got an email in to them now but I've not heard back.

It should still be under warranty, but if it's not I guess it might be time to upgrade to a Zulu...

(cross post)

On my flight this weekend when I got transferred from departure to Center I plugged in the xm radio like I always do and noticed right away that the music mute function had quit working. Has anyone ever experienced this with their Lightspeed headset? If so was it fixable by you or did you have to send it in?

I've got an email in to them now but I've not heard back.

It should still be under warranty, but if it's not I guess it might be time to upgrade to a Zulu...

First, call them don't email them you will get an immediate answer. Second even if its out of warranty my bet is they just fix it. Third, The Zulu trade up program is pretty darn good and very tempting. I just took advantage of it.

Adam, I've looked at the trade-up program and really debated myself on taking advantage of it. I really like my 20 3G and if I get a Zulu I would just move the 20 to the back seat. Right now I have CHEAP headsets in the back.

My decision was made because I have the 20XLcs which are aobut 6 or 7 years old. The cup pads were trashed and as a result the noise attenuation was really degraded a LOT. So rather than get new ear cup pads for $20.00 It made much more sense to spend $550 for the Zulus and trade in my 20XLc set. Justification is EVERYTHING. That and I had some birthday cash available:D.

You will get $300 for your 30Gs but they won't ship for at least 2-3 weeks. But if you like em keep em. In all seriousness the 30Gs are better than my 20s so it was a big jump from the 20s to the Zulu thats why I did it. That and the justification of course.:thumbsup:

Before you send it in, check to make sure that the switch is still on "so mute" because it can easily be changed in turbulence (ask me how I know).

Failing that, contact Lightspeed. They're awesome to work with.

Before you send it in, check to make sure that the switch is still on "so mute" because it can easily be changed in turbulence (ask me how I know).

Failing that, contact Lightspeed. They're awesome to work with.

Ah ha! that could be it. I don't think I realized the EQ button had this function... (thanks Nick)
The headset should be initially received set in “Comm Priority” Mode.
This means that any audio coming from an intercom or
Radio will ‘mute’ any auxiliary audio signal.The feature can
be turned on or off by depressing and holding the EQ
button down for over 5 sec. Once released, the mode will
change. Depress and hold again and it will switch back to
its previous state.
Now I'll just have to go fly again to make sure this fixes it. Oh, darn...

Just an FYI if you ever are away from your Owners Manual on most of the stuff we use, Sporty's has a pdf of a lot of manuals...

Last edited:
Back