Music in the headset?

elmetal

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
elmetal
Hey everyone,

I recently flew with an Instructor who had a lightspeed headset and I noticed he kept pulling out his ipod and I was like... Are you listening to music? and he said "Yep"

So it turns out the music mutes when anything comes through the radio or when we talked, kinda like the input in the 172S models.

Now, I don't wanna buy a whole new headset, but I kinda want that functionality.... What are my choices? Something that will let me listen to music but will mute as soon as anybody says anything.

Anyone???

The intercom in my aircraft does that, though I don't use it if there is someone else in the aircraft, unless its a long flight and they're listening as well. Personally, I would think it quite rude to listen to music the other guy couldn't hear.

The intercom in my aircraft does that, though I don't use it if there is someone else in the aircraft, unless its a long flight and they're listening as well. Personally, I would think it quite rude to listen to music the other guy couldn't hear.
My intercom does that too.

If one is renting planes and cannot depend on that functionality there choice is a new headset. The Lightspeed and the Bose have that feature but be sure to check the specifics on which models have it. If not buying a new headset is an option then you can get this device: http://www.mypilotstore.com/mypilotstore/sep/6639 it has that feature and will work with any headset.

Well, if that happened to me, that would be the last time I used that instructor and I'd let the flight school know about why. Not paying the instructor $55 an hour to listen to music while instructing me,... if so, I'm flying to relaxed and not getting enough workout for my $$

I have the LS Sierra, which has a music input and it doesn't cut out the music, but quiets the level down significantly. I think there is the option to have it cut off completely though, as I recall reading that someplace.

But, to answer your question, Sporty's has a in-line adapter that does about the same thing as LS has built in, or this one, which you may be able to use with your phone as well if needed.

Get a new instructor. Jeez....listening to music while he is supposed to be instructing and keeping you safe.

Get a new instructor. Jeez....listening to music while he is supposed to be instructing and keeping you safe.

I guess that depends on how many hours the student has and what they are doing at the time. If I was doing a cross country and my instructor want to listen to music, I wouldn't have a problem with it.
If we are doing spin or unusual attitude training, that would be a different story.

Well, if that happened to me, that would be the last time I used that instructor and I'd let the flight school know about why. Not paying the instructor $55 an hour to listen to music while instructing me,... if so, I'm flying to relaxed and not getting enough workout for my $$.

Gotta agree ...

Despite what y'all are talking about whether or not it was a good instructor is irrelevant.

I just want that capability.

I am not a primary student and I wasn't using the instructor to learn how to land. We were doing some XC flights in California and I'm not very well versed in terrain being from florida.

He was just there as a just in case or to tell me "don't worry. We'll make it over those" when I would freak out about only being 2000 feet above some mountains.

But anyway, thanks for all the responses! I definitely need to do something on long XC especially when you're on center and the frequency is DEAD. I've used the ones that attach the ipod to the intercom but that means I'd have to own the plane, which I don't, so I think the headset one someone linked from mypilotstore might work

thanks again yall were quick!

Are you going to fire your surgeon for having music playing in the OR? Do you demand that all background noise be silenced when your dealing with your stockbroker? I think the more important question is did you feel he was not paying attention to you and what was going on around you? Then fine you have a issue but if he just has music playing in the background it's no big deal.

Are you going to fire your surgeon for having music playing in the OR? Do you demand that all background noise be silenced when your dealing with your stockbroker? I think the more important question is did you feel he was not paying attention to you and what was going on around you? Then fine you have a issue but if he just has music playing in the background it's no big deal.

I actually agree, I just think it a bit rude. Like having your headphones on in the car. Just how I see it.

I actually agree, I just think it a bit rude. Like having your headphones on in the car. Just how I see it.
I can kinda see that. But this is a different case, he wasn't really there as an instructor, he was there more just like a safety pilot. Just in case I experienced any oh**** moments in terrain that I'm not familiar with.

He's a really great guy and had a lot of insight, I certainly wouldn't write him off because he had his ipod on.

Anyway, So apparently what I want to do is extremely expensive... I think I might just stick with silence... well as silent as an engine can be anyway

Well, if that happened to me, that would be the last time I used that instructor and I'd let the flight school know about why. Not paying the instructor $55 an hour to listen to music while instructing me,... if so, I'm flying to relaxed and not getting enough workout for my $$
Concur. I carry a Garmin Aera 510 when flying with trainees when there's no onboard weather in the plane we're using, but I mute the music during training. Regardless of what the trainee thinks, I don't need anything distracting me from my job. And even on a XC training flight where there's not much happening on the freq, if the trainee isn't doing something useful, I'll find plenty of things for the trainee to do that will provide some training -- that, after all, being what s/he's paying me to do.

OTOH, it might have certain applicability to provide a realistic distraction for the trainee...just to see how long it takes for him/her to tell me to turn the damn thing off.

Last edited:
he was there more just like a safety pilot. Just in case I experienced any oh**** moments in terrain that I'm not familiar with.

If someone is flying with me as a safety pilot, I want that pilots full attention whether I am paying them or not.

Come on!!!! Doesn't anyone remember "Iron Eagle"? It conclusively demonstrated that music enhances pilot performance!!!!

Hey people, it's his money and he wasn't worried about it. Just answer the question about the headset options or don't reply. He didn't ask anyone's opinion on instructor professional standards.

Hey people, it's his money and he wasn't worried about it. Just answer the question about the headset options or don't reply. He didn't ask anyone's opinion on instructor professional standards.

Folks on a web board focusing only on the question, reading the thread first.....not in my lifetime. :D

"So, I went flying with my CFI and she had the door open the whole time so she could toss rocks on the cars.

Anyway, my question is: Should I have bananas or oranges for breakfast?"

Don't say nuttin

:nono:

+1 on the Bananas but ya gotta have ketchup, spicy red.

this is coming from an instructor....

i'd fire him. i'd never listen to music while i'm supposed to be instructing. that's unprofessional.

sure there are others who will argue against it, but that's my opinion... i wouldnt fly w/ him again (with music)

Back