Mushroom hunting

Diana

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Diana
Any mushroom hunters out there? It's just about time to go into the woods and hunt for morels! Maybe tomorrow. In between storms.

Seems like the problem is trying to get those little tiny black bugs out. Anybody have any suggestions for that? :dunno:

Dean, there should probably be some great mushroom hunting over in your neck of the woods.

never have. there are a fair number of people who hunt morels around here though. one of Matt Michaels favorite landouts in his glider was when he spent the time waiting for the crew gathering mushrooms.

Dean, there should probably be some great mushroom hunting over in your neck of the woods.

:D Yes, I have a hidden place or two here at the park. Thats one of the perks of the job is knowing where the hot spots are.

I forget the product's name but saw a commercial last night stating components of a ****ake mushroom were used to make the product. Their claim is this component improves a woman's skin and makes her appear young again.

Something that only grows in a dark, moist environment is supposed to do this? I'm betting they won't use Janet Reno as a test subject.

Seems like the problem is trying to get those little tiny black bugs out. Anybody have any suggestions for that? :dunno:

Ugh. Fungus with little black bugs in it. Yummy. :vomit: :no:

And for those of you who buy your shrooms in the store - They're grown in poop. I found this out after I parked next to a mushroom farm one night. In the morning I asked why there was such a gawd-awful smell...

So, fungus full of bugs, or fungus grown in poop. Why do people eat this stuff? Sounds like Survivor. Double :vomit: :vomit:

Ugh. Fungus with little black bugs in it. Yummy. :vomit: :no:
:D The first time we ate them, we wondered why they were kinda gritty like there was sand in them, but there wasn't any sand. :redface: I think we ate those itty, bitty black bugs. :redface:

And for those of you who buy your shrooms in the store - They're grown in poop. I found this out after I parked next to a mushroom farm one night. In the morning I asked why there was such a gawd-awful smell...

So, fungus full of bugs, or fungus grown in poop. Why do people eat this stuff? Sounds like Survivor. Double :vomit: :vomit:
You're funny. :D

I've hunted for them a couple of times, but always come up empty. As much as I've been told how GOOD they are, I've never actually eaten a morel. If they're coming around down in your area, Diana, we're probably still a week or more away from having anything up here.

We've always soaked them in salt water for an hour or so. Not real strong salt water, maybe more like saline.

Barb

Nothing better, went every spring with my Dad and Grandpa, the first week of May in Central Illinois. Thanks Diane for reminding me of past pleasures.

Scott

How does one differentiate between safe and poisonous mushrooms??
Well, the only one that I can identify is the morel, and I studied a LOT of pictures before hunting for them. The morel kinda looks like brains.

Nothing better, went every spring with my Dad and Grandpa, the first week of May in Central Illinois. Thanks Diane for reminding me of past pleasures.
:) Do you not have them in Ohio Scott?

Yes they do Diana, but I haven't figured out the proper timing for NW Ohio. IIRC from my youth, morel hunting was part religion, part mythos. My Grandpa would tell me to be very quiet or they would hear me and dive back into the ground unseen. He always seemed to know the best spots! BTW, after a short soak in salted water, they were halved, dipped in flour, dipped in beaten egg, redipped in seasoned flour, and fired in butter.

****take mushroom. I just love the fact that the system bleeps out the "****" in ****take. Stupid computers!! ****take! ****take!!! Get me more ****take!

I forget the product's name but saw a commercial last night stating components of a ****ake mushroom were used to make the product. Their claim is this component improves a woman's skin and makes her appear young again.

Something that only grows in a dark, moist environment is supposed to do this? I'm betting they won't use Janet Reno as a test subject.
I love how the vulgarity filter blocked part of the name of the mushroom. LOL

I was going to comment on the vulgarity filter, but others beat me to it. I hate censorship! :yes:

And Kent, does this explain why you left the stuffed mushrooms to Kate and me the other night? You won't know what you were missing! They were GOOD!

And Kent, does this explain why you left the stuffed mushrooms to Kate and me the other night? You won't know what you were missing! They were GOOD!

You can have the fungus! :yes: I'll take the stuffing. :D (Actually, I developed a craving for that Mac & Cheese today, that stuff was GREAT!)

I still don't understand how the heck people eat those things. Yecch! :vomit:

You can have the fungus! :yes: I'll take the stuffing. :D (Actually, I developed a craving for that Mac & Cheese today, that stuff was GREAT!)

I still don't understand how the heck people eat those things. Yecch! :vomit:
The only person I know who makes Mac & Cheese that rivals Branmor's is Leslie. Yes, it's great!

As far as the mushrooms, you're like my brother, except he won't do spinach, either!

Diana, Hows the mushroom hunting going? The cold nights we had last week sure did put the hurt on them. I found about 20 yesterday and will be going out again this afternoon. The forecast the next few days is 70's and 80's, so it should be perfect for hunting.:goofy:

They are sterilizing the poop before seeding it. There are a lot of other fungi that grow in ruminent poop that would crowd out the mushrooms we like. Some mushrooms such as shítake or oyster mushrooms grow only or mainly on wood, so the poop isn't a factor for these.

Like anything else, it is a matter of taste & what one is used to eating. I used to think (when I was 8 or 9) beer was a nasty, bitter drink.

Diana, Hows the mushroom hunting going? The cold nights we had last week sure did put the hurt on them. I found about 20 yesterday and will be going out again this afternoon. The forecast the next few days is 70's and 80's, so it should be perfect for hunting.:goofy:
We haven't gone out into the woods lately since it flooded back there. I noticed that the ticks are alive and active now...found one crawling up my leg awhile ago. OK, who told the ticks it was time to wake up?!?!

We haven't gone out into the woods lately since it flooded back there. I noticed that the ticks are alive and active now...found one crawling up my leg awhile ago. OK, who told the ticks it was time to wake up?!?!
Tick. Tock. Tick. Tock.

Who had to tell them? They have their own built-in clock! At least half of one, anyway!

What kind of camo do you have to wear while hunting mushrooms? Do they respond to calls all year, or only during mating season? Is there a caliber restriction on the weapons used?

:)

Q: How do you catch a unique mushroom?

A: You 'neak up on it!

I have a serious problem with mushrooms. Fungus? I'll eat it at least once. (Toe jam need not apply). I really, really dig morels, shiitake, crimini, portabello, lobster, oyster, noirtake, black wood, wood ear... you name it. When I was a kid, I had a penchant for getting up in the middle of the night and cooking a plate of white buttons in butter, garlic, and paprika and eating the whole bowl with a glass of milk.

I came up with a recipe for a morel and quail ravioli with a duckfat, leek, and a tarragon sauce a few years ago. Made it only once, given the time (about 4.5 hours of work, start to finish), but maybe if I can find a local Virginia source of morel... I'll make it again.

Maybe a PoA/DC area dinner party is in order?

Cheers,

-Andrew

Back