Murphy got me today

mmilano

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Mike Milano
I was going to spend an hour doing t&gs today since I won't be able to fly till next week. the METAR reported visibility at six miles. It was foggy over the coast, but the field is a few miles inland and it was somewhat sunny.I was just going to do pattern work so I wasn't concerned too much with the developments.

Did my pre-flight, did my runup, got in sequence. Tower was busy so I was waiting for a break no the channel, .. then I hear, "We're going IFR in five minutes."

Total Hobbs time: .2 :D

mmilano said:
The Runway Incursion Prevention folks at the NTSB are proud of you for doing the taxi practice! :cheerswine:

Did you log the time? The aircraft was moving with the intention of flight....

-Skip

nah, i didn't even bother logging the time, ... i suppose i should with remarks to keep the memory :)

mmilano said:
I was going to spend an hour doing t&gs today since I won't be able to fly till next week. the METAR reported visibility at six miles. It was foggy over the coast, but the field is a few miles inland and it was somewhat sunny.I was just going to do pattern work so I wasn't concerned too much with the developments.

Did my pre-flight, did my runup, got in sequence. Tower was busy so I was waiting for a break no the channel, .. then I hear, "We're going IFR in five minutes."

You should have just went special vfr and leave the towered airport. Go do them somewhere where no one will know your VFR in IFR conditions. I do it all the time.
:D

jangell said:
You should have just went special vfr and leave the towered airport. Go do them somewhere where no one will know your VFR in IFR conditions. I do it all the time.
:D
I've run into a problem with this where if they have inbound IFR's they won't let you go. And are you admitting to violating the FAR's?

jkaduk said:
I've run into a problem with this where if they have inbound IFR's they won't let you go. And are you admitting to violating the FAR's?
It was a joke.

I've only been special VFR once and that was with my CFII in an instrument airplane.

Skip Miller said:
Did you log the time? The aircraft was moving with the intention of flight....
...but without a landing after which you come to a stop, there is no flight time. See 14 CFR 1.1, which includes a landing as part of the definition of "flight time."

Ron Levy said:
...but without a landing after which you come to a stop, there is no flight time. See 14 CFR 1.1, which includes a landing as part of the definition of "flight time."

So, safety pilot time, although possibly PIC time, is not "flight time", since you didn't do the landing?

mmilano said:
nah, i didn't even bother logging the time, ... i suppose i should with remarks to keep the memory :)
There is another reason to log the time. Sometime in the future you will be reviewing your logs and this flight will pop out. You'll wonder why you didn't take off. Then you'll remember is was due to wx and if it weren't for the twr making the notification you would have gone VFR into IFR conditions. You should at least log your comments. Every flight has a lesson, even if you didn't make it into the air.

mmilano said:

I've always liked to write a line for WX scratched flights because I fly in so much Marginal VFR that I want the entries in the pilot logbook just as both evidence and reminders that yes, I do have limits of WX when I won't fly.

Bill Jennings said:
So, safety pilot time, although possibly PIC time, is not "flight time", since you didn't do the landing?
This is from the definition of "flight time" in 14 CFR 1.1, not "who logs what" from 14 CFR 61.51, which does not require you to log a landing in order to log time.
So you don't have to do the landing to log "flight time," but for there to be "flight time" to log, there must be a landing, i.e., a return to earth of some sort, during the flight, which there can't be if the plane never left the earth. The best one could log on a taxi-out/taxi-back exercise is ground training if an authorized instructor was there.

Ron Levy said:
This is from the definition of "flight time" in 14 CFR 1.1, not "who logs what" from 14 CFR 61.51, which does not require you to log a landing in order to log time.
So you don't have to do the landing to log "flight time," but for there to be "flight time" to log, there must be a landing, i.e., a return to earth of some sort, during the flight, which there can't be if the plane never left the earth. The best one could log on a taxi-out/taxi-back exercise is ground training if an authorized instructor was there.

perhaps future reference for the OP would be to ask tower for a takeoff, get off the ground, abort takeoff and land on remaining runway. That would then qualify, yes?

I would also suspect that without taking off, the 14CFR 1.1 definition of flight time fails also when it says:

(1) Pilot time that commences when an aircraft moves under its own power for the purpose of flight and ends when the aircraft comes to rest after landing; or...

Not intention of flight, but for the pupose of flight. I would think that without a takeoff, the plane never moved for the purpose of flight.

Last edited:
Ron Levy said:

Hey Ron,

It seems I once saw a definition along the lines of flight time being that time which the aircraft moves under its own power....where am I remembering that from?

Bones said:
Hey Ron,

It seems I once saw a definition along the lines of flight time being that time which the aircraft moves under its own power....where am I remembering that from?

That's only part of it. The whole definition from the FAR's is:

"Flight time means:
(1) Pilot time that commences when an aircraft moves under its own power for the purpose of flight and ends when the aircraft comes to rest after landing; or
(2) For a glider without self-launch capability, pilot time that commences when the glider is towed for the purpose of flight and ends when the glider comes to rest after landing."

Back