Multiport Fuel injection for the 0-200

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
Any one running this system ?
http://www.sdsefi.com/aircraft.html
To me this looks like a system that will eliminate the need for carb hot air, plus a mixture control cable/valve and all that.

I have no personal experience with it, but I can say that SDS has been around for quite a while (probably at least 15 years). It looks like they use GM sensors and coil packs, so supporting it ought to be relatively easy.

I have no personal experience with it, but I can say that SDS has been around for quite a while (probably at least 15 years). It looks like they use GM sensors and coil packs, so supporting it ought to be relatively easy.
When building a new engine with no accessories, would you spend $4300 for a system? Knowing you could save the requirement for a hot carb air, and the mixture control.

When building a new engine with no accessories, would you spend $4300 for a system? Knowing you could save the requirement for a hot carb air, and the mixture control.

What would you have wrapped up in magnetos, ignition harness, plugs, and a carburetor? I'd guess it would be close to the cost of the EFI kit, assuming you bought everything new.

I'd seriously consider it, even if I had to pay a little more. Wouldn't you want an alternate air source even if you don't need carb heat though? Even the mechanical injection engines that are supposed to be immune to carb icing have them.

I requested pricing and this is the response :

Single ECU with dual ignition, dual pump module, throttle body, injectors, lines, bosses, fuel pressure regulator, plug wires and adapters, wideband for tuning, sensors, wiring, fittings etc., looks like $4307US.

To add a redundant ECU, add about $1200.

For the fuel trim option add $300, for fuel flow output option add $100.

We'd add the PC data logging option at no charge.

The first price included the rear magneto coil mounts. If you don't want those, we'd just supply the round mag covers and this would save $100.

Interesting setup, but if you're going to a electronic system and going this far and this electronic, wouldn't you almost be better off doing a turbo Subaru engine swap?

I'd think you'd end up weighing less, making more power and having a higher ceiling.

Interesting setup, but if you're going to a electronic system and going this far and this electronic, wouldn't you almost be better off doing a turbo Subaru engine swap?

I'd think you'd end up weighing less, making more power and having a higher ceiling.
That would mean a whole new engine mount, engine, cowl, water cooling, and accessories. $ $ $ $ $.

Gotcha, I thought you were replacing everything firewall forwar... I mean firewall art already

Gotcha, I thought you were replacing everything firewall forwar... I mean firewall art already
I have an 0-200 that I am building to replace the one on the VariEze. The one I bought has no accessories, I could buy used mags, and carb, alternator, but that's not my way.

Back