Multiple VOR/LOC/GS

Paul_Havelka

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Paul_Havelka
We are getting ready to update our panel and the only things we’ll be keeping from the current stack is a kx155 and ki209. We’ll be installing a gns430w and G5 hsi. My question is what are the opinions on keeping or getting rid of the ki209? We plan to use this plane to get our IR and probably even our CSEL but never plan to fly hard ifr.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oops, initially though you were taking the giant king mechanical HSI.

So why not have a second nav head and nav/com. Having two comms is VERY useful for any flying, and having a second method of navigation if the 430 goes TU is always nice. Unless you REALLY need to shed weight, electric load or panel space, keep it.

Also seems silly to have two navs and one nav head

Keep the 209 two heads are better than one.

We kept our kIng that was capable of an ILS (glideslope receiver) and moved it down under the new Nav1 head for the Garmin GTN 650 when we upgraded, as a backup.

You won’t get squat for it on trade or sale really, so if there is room, might as well make it useful.

If you're keeping the 155, keep the 209. Otherwise the nav portion of the kx155 is useless.

Redundancy is good. No justification for ditching it if you have the option to keep it.

I've flown with a GNS480 (IFR GPS/NAV/COM) and an SL30. The SL30 is nice to have giving a second com and ILS/NAV. I've used the NAV side a couple of times but it's primarily about as useful as my DME which I turn on even less often. Having a second com is nice however.

Back