Multiple Freezing Level - Airmet

Stingray Don

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Stingray Don
I thought I would go flying today, but I checked the weather, and there was an airmet for "multiple freezing level" SFC to 11,000'. I understand that this occurs when the temperature is zero degrees Celsius at more than one altitude. Outside there isn't a cloud in the sky with unlimited visibility and forecast to stay that way. So without any visible moisture, is an airmet for multiple freezing levels a concern? I checked google and the archives which didn't shed much light.

Outside there isn't a cloud in the sky with unlimited visibility and forecast to stay that way. So without any visible moisture, is an airmet for multiple freezing levels a concern? I checked google and the archives which didn't shed much light.
Nope. Go fly Don!

Been flying around Indiana all day. No problems below 12000. But icing reports 16through 18

No moisture you're fine from ice. Kind of odd to have inversions like that on a CLR/P6SM day though. Make sure nearby locales aren't under an OVC deck and you're just in a sucker hole.

Stay out of clouds and precep and you're golden, just be careful of frost on your wings before you takeoff, ice on the runway and preheating if below 20f or whatever your engine manufactor recommends and check your crank case breather and whistle slot. Enjoy the nice cold wx performance :)

Last edited:
Back