Multi-vitamin Supplements?

Airmaster23

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Airmaster
Hi,

Do you need to report that you are taking a multi-vitamin supplement and/or vitamin D to the aviation doctor?

And, I guess the reason for taking it would be low B-12 and low vitamin-A as discovered with bloodwork.

Thanks.

I take two every day.....never gave it a thought about reporting.
OAD-54148-0.jpg

Do you need to report that you are taking a multi-vitamin supplement and/or vitamin D to the aviation doctor?

Vitamins are essential to staying alive, so they are essentially foods, not medications. At least not in the doses you are ever likely to take. The FAA isn't likely to care what food you had for breakfast. (They care what the consequences are....)

And, I guess the reason for taking it would be low B-12 and low vitamin-A as discovered with bloodwork.
A physician might recommend supplements or simply a change in diet, but I don't think they would prescribe something that can be had without a prescription. Exceptions being something like an injection.

I take vitamin supplements and have not listed any of them as non-prescription medications on form 8500. I did have a blood test recently showing below normal vitamin D, so I started taking vitamin D supplements even before my doctor suggested it. (He shrugged and said a large portion of the population in the Pacific northwest has below normal vitamin D during the winter; pretty common due to lack of sun.)

Join me in my life of crime and not list your vitamin supplements on form 8500.... :devil:

Thanks for the responses everyone.

I was not prescribed any of these vitamins - it was only a suggestion from the doc.

So, I will leave it out of my next aviation medical.

Cheers.

Thanks for the responses everyone.

I was not prescribed any of these vitamins - it was only a suggestion from the doc.

So, I will leave it out of my next aviation medical.
I suggest delaying that decision until you hear from Bruce. He may tell you the same, but he may not, and nobody knows the rules on this like Bruce.

Low B12 is a problem, because if it affects your blood counts, you have PERNICIOUS ANEMIA, a (and I find this incredible) special issuance condition. If truly neglected it can lead to some really terrible things. Mostly, though, it doesn't get neglected because when it gets THAT bad the pain is unbearable.

D is generally not an issue.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back