Multi training at 10 hour complex commercial?

edward lee

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
eddie
Hello,

For commercial, there is 10 hour requirement for complex. I am planning to do multi addon right after single engine commercial. Just like people do right seat on commercial training to get CFI faster, do you think it would be good idea to use 10 hour requirement on multi engine to get multi addon quicker?

Also when would be good idea to start training for commercial? 190hours? 210 hours??

Thanksss

The most efficient way to fulfill the 61.129 (3) (i) - (iii) aeronautical experience requirements is to do them in conjunction with your instrument upgrade.

Why not do the commercial multi first? Doing multi engine training to get a single engine rating is probably going to slow the process a bit.

As far as when to start, I have no idea what the averages are, but it took me 10 hours of dual for my commercial ASEL and about 7 for the multi. It probably wouldn’t hurt to start getting some dual on the Commercial ASEL maneuvers right away, so you’ve got lefty of time to get them honed. I probably could have done mine better. ;)

Fairly well accepted that multi commercial then single add on is most efficient… exactly what defines efficient is nebulous!

It really don’t matter. If you are self funding and gonna get them all anyway, things like airplane and instructors availability are likely gonna be your guide.

In the past, you could combine the checkrides. Do most of the checkride in the multi, then one approach and landing in the Single.

There used to be a school in FL that would do both single and multi, land and sea, in one checkride. :D

In the past, you could combine the checkrides. Do most of the checkride in the multi, then one approach and landing in the Single.
I’m confused…there are no approaches required for the SE commercial, but some additional maneuvers that are not required for the Multi commercial.

Hello,

For commercial, there is 10 hour requirement for complex. I am planning to do multi addon right after single engine commercial. Just like people do right seat on commercial training to get CFI faster, do you think it would be good idea to use 10 hour requirement on multi engine to get multi addon quicker?

Also when would be good idea to start training for commercial? 190hours? 210 hours??

Thanksss

Who told you the commercial requires 10 hours of complex airplane training?

A) I believe you have old information about the complex time.
B) the PREFERRED path is to acquire your instrument rating first. You're sure going to have instrument questions on your Commercial written.

There used to be a school in FL that would do both single and multi, land and sea, in one checkride. :D

I think you are 55 years to late for that checkride.

A) I believe you have old information about the complex time.
B) the PREFERRED path is to acquire your instrument rating first. You're sure going to have instrument questions on your Commercial written.
A) maybe TAA isn’t an option for the OP for some reason.
B) what are you seeing from the OP that indicates he’s not instrument rated?

2-1/2 months ago, OP said he was working on PPL. Possible he finished both PPL and IR since then. But probably unlikely.
Perhaps good for the OP to elaborate on that.

A) maybe TAA isn’t an option for the OP for some reason.
B) what are you seeing from the OP that indicates he’s not instrument rated?
Maybe TAA is an option, maybe it isn't. But the OP's statement that 10 hours of complex is required is incorrect. If the rest of his ideas flow from that false premise, it's important to correct that.

You could for sure combine multi and commercial training. It may get you to multi commercial faster, but probably not by much.

Maybe TAA is an option, maybe it isn't. But the OP's statement that 10 hours of complex is required is incorrect. If the rest of his ideas flow from that false premise, it's important to correct that.
Maybe it’s not a false premise, maybe he just abbreviated the requirement to what he will do.

As @Mongoose Aviator indicated, some clarification from the OP would probably be good before we jump to conclusions.

Maybe it’s not a false premise, maybe he just abbreviated the requirement to what he will do.

As @Mongoose Aviator indicated, some clarification from the OP would probably be good before we jump to conclusions.

Resistance to Conclusion Jumping has been reported for PermaBan consideration.

That school was doing them in the 90s.

Ok, you are 30 yeas too late for that check ride. The only “schools” that have self examining authority are Part 141 and following an FAA approved syllabus. So your statement the school was doing the training and check ride is incorrect. Each course under 141 is tested separately and the examiner activity today is more closely monitored by the FAA.

Last edited:
The school could have used a local DPE o had one on staff. In those days, many DPEs worked for a school.

Back