Multi Engine Add On - Part 61 vs. Part 141

Those people need to be able to deal with stress even more so, they arnt in the saddle as much, tend to have less experience and also tend to fly with their own family who way out uneducated pressure to make bad decisions.
I don't think the checkride is the time to introduce stress just for the sake of introducing it to see how the applicant reacts, because I don't see taking a checkride as similar to having a real emergency or flying with passengers. These things that you mention do create stress, but the object of the checkride is to pass without creating artificial obstacles for yourself that could have been avoided.

I don't think the checkride is the time to introduce stress just for the sake of introducing it to see how the applicant reacts, because I don't see taking a checkride as similar to having a real emergency or flying with passengers. These things that you mention do create stress, but the object of the checkride is to pass without creating artificial obstacles for yourself that could have been avoided.

Agreed, but also not the place to be coddled

Alright, I'm calling it a stalemate between you two! ;) Mulligan is a business man, successful one too, and I think he is aware of what he wants and desires. And I see nothing wrong with his approach. He will gain proficiency and beings it's a twin, hopefully stay proficient on emergency procedures as a twin has more potential, if you will, of being a handful in an emergency and knowing the proper procedures AND staying proficient on those procedures. All airplanes but I believe especially so in a light twin.

Agreed, but also not the place to be coddled
I don't see how meeting with the DPE beforehand equates to "being coddled". I've met the DPE beforehand more in my professional life than before, mostly because I've taken a checkride with them before, so I know what they are looking for.

mully i would just follow the coastline or go high over the water for a few years in your almost new 206 while tacking lessons part 91 at your hometown airport .your aircraft is one of the best/safest known to man. how many miles over water we talking about?

Only reason to do it 141 would be if you need to use GI Bill benefits to pay for it. Otherwise go 61 and get it done in a shorter timeframe. Also, if you like the 141 school, you can ask them if they are able to the training under part 61. That is what I did. Went to a 141 school for my MEL, and they recommended doing the training under 61.

Necropost, maybe related... anyone here done a multi in a jet?

Maybe it’s me, but multi really isn’t that big of a thing, it’s a weekend course, just pick the cheapest one.

Necropost, maybe related... anyone here done a multi in a jet?
While technically possible, I don’t think I’d want to do a Vmc demon in a Jet. So that means going straight to ATP, in which case the 50 hours in class would get expensive. ;)

While technically possible, I don’t think I’d want to do a Vmc demon in a Jet. So that means going straight to ATP, in which case the 50 hours in class would get expensive. ;)
Does Sim count?

Maybe it’s me, but multi really isn’t that big of a thing, it’s a weekend course, just pick the cheapest one.
Good luck getting into a "weekend" class; multiple-month wait list.

No kidding?

In some areas, maybe. On the whole however, I don't think it would be that hard to find a place to do an accelerated multi add on if a person was willing to travel.

The place I instruct at part time seems to get a lot of interest in multi training for a while then you don't give any multi dual again for 3-6 months. All the multi training I've given has been to kids wanting/needing the multi to get to the airlines.

In some areas, really. Northeast/mid Atlantic, few choices.

In some areas, maybe. On the whole however, I don't think it would be that hard to find a place to do an accelerated multi add on if a person was willing to travel.

The place I instruct at part time seems to get a lot of interest in multi training for a while then you don't give any multi dual again for 3-6 months. All the multi training I've given has been to kids wanting/needing the multi to get to the airlines.

Still I’d wager a airline ticket and you’d get it done in a weekend with short notice

Still I’d wager a airline ticket and you’d get it done in a weekend with short notice
Yeah I don't think so. For example, Action Multi in CT is backed up for months. And it's not 3 days, it's at least 5 if you have to travel any distance.

I’d plan for 3 days but I agree completely. There should be somewhere that could take someone on relatively short notice if the student was willing to travel.

Well, if it weren’t for the usual interruptions it could be. Took me exactly 1 month. Bad weather, last minute cancelations, and trying to find a DPE. I’m not the sharpest tool in the shed either so I took my time. $4,500...give or take.

Well, if it weren’t for the usual interruptions it could be. Took me exactly 1 month. Bad weather, last minute cancelations, and trying to find a DPE. I’m not the sharpest tool in the shed either so I took my time. $4,500...give or take.

When I did my initial I was going to do it in a twin seabee or a Grumman, but both were down for mx, another guy who was recommended didn’t pick up his phone, so I ended up going to a ATP Inc, crap instruction obviously, but I scheduled it a week or two out as I recall and it took 3 days I think.

Back