Multi Academy Award winning composer James Horner dead in plane crash.

stratobee

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
stratobee
Looks like he crashed his Tucano in a known aerobatic practice area. Horner wrote the music to Titanic, Avatar, Aliens, Braveheart and numerous other films. He had two Oscars and numerous nominations. Horner was an accomplished pilot who owned two turbine helicopters, a super cub as well as turbine Marchetti, on top of the crashed Tucano. He was very experienced according to people who knew him.

Being in the film business myself, this is very sad news as I grew up with his music. RIP James Horner. Be careful out there. :sad:

Sad to read about it. I believe he kept the planes at my home airport, I had the chance to talk to him a few times in passing, real nice guy.

Last edited:
Damn. I was and remain a big film score person, and Horner was part of my growing up as any rock band was. He also worked with the Horseman Mustang flight team creating music for their performances.

It is a huge shame to lose such an incredibly talented man with an outstanding repertoire. I was on with LA center in that area just after the accident while S&R was responding, and the controller mentioned to one of the responders that the accident was preceded by some "pretty radical climbs and dives". One pilot who had helped to locate the crash site and was leaving the frequency commented that he wouldn't mind finding out the outcome. The controller's remark to him to "I guess pay attention to the news, the local news" sure does feel a bit strange in retrospect.

That sucks. More to the theory that what keeps us alive is lack of opportunity($) then the safety fairytales we tell ourselves. If we all had a fleet like that there'd be a lot less of us living.

Saw that this morning. It's was kinda strange to read that, since my name is also James Horner (although I go by Jim), I also live in California, and I'm a pilot.

I'm not, however, a world famous composer, although I got quite a few emails from complete strangers after Titanic came out, all asking how to get into the music business.

RIP

Very sad to hear this. :( He is definitely a well-known name to film buffs, not just those in the music business. RIP.

Saw that this morning. It's was kinda strange to read that, since my name is also James Horner (although I go by Jim), I also live in California, and I'm a pilot.

I'm not, however, a world famous composer, although I got quite a few emails from complete strangers after Titanic came out, all asking how to get into the music business.

RIP
How many people have checked up on your safety today? :eek:

RIP to the other James Horner.

Radical climbs and dives?

I wonder what happened.

How many people have checked up on your safety today? :eek:

4 people so far have stopped by my office at work to make sure I'm still with the living, and I've gotten 2 emails as well. Yep, RIP to the other one...

I wonder what happened.

Doing aerobatics in a Tucano. That will provide some serious vertical performance.

He was no stranger to aerobatics. He flew several times in P-51s with The Horsemen flight team.

I wonder what happened.

G-LOC? Anyone think that could be?

Just have to wait for the NTSB and then maybe we still may not know for sure.

G-LOC? Anyone think that could be?

Just have to wait for the NTSB and then maybe we still may not know for sure.
Certainly possible. We may never know - doesn't look like much is left of the airplane let alone pilot. He is still officially 'feared dead'. From the few photos Ive seen, I don't think they have much to identify.

Bummer. :( A movie that never fails to moisten my eyes is Field of Dreams, and I'll bet a lot of that comes from Horner's score.

Very sad news indeed. A terrifically talented composer.

I've always thought Horner's score to "The Rocketeer" captured in an awesome way the spirit of aviation.
:(

Back