Mulligans first NASA form

mulligan

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Mulligan
Very windy day at KBHM. Airmet Tango from surface to 8,000 for the majority of flight from KBHM to KBTR. Winds gusting above my comfort level but I make s go decision.

Preflight the plane. Everything looks perfect. Plane shiny. Oil 9 quarts. Fuel at 84 gallons. Everything else normal. Start engine and go through the normal drill. Everything textbook. Start taxi and check brakes. No issue, head to runway 6 via hotel. Hold short at 6 and call for takeoff. Climb to 10,000 on assigned course and bust through the turbulence with no issues.

Halfway into the flight it is smooth as glass. Sunday traffic is light and I'm cranking lithium on XM satellite radio. Look out my window at my wheel pan and fluid is pouring out of my wheel pan. Rut row. How am I going to stop??

Finally get the approach transition and they ask me which runway I prefer. Informed them I want 4L as I'm going for length. Informed them I'm leaking fluid out of my brakes and may need the entire runway just in case. They asked if I wanted to declare an emergency. I said no but my concern was leaving fluid on the runway for other planes. They were awesome. They closed the runway for me and gave me a visual with the option to extend downwind and take the option if needed. Was probably one of my best approaches and landings ever, even though I was a little nervous. Could have made first exit but took the second just to be safe. They provided me with a chase vehicle to make sure runway was clear of debris and they followed me to the FBO to make sure I was ok and then opened the runway to other traffic.

I know it's not a major issue, but my first is in the books and I'm amazed at how helpful everyone was and how calm I was through he entire process.

IMG_1069.JPG

interesting, sounds like you did a fine job. sorry, sounds like mulligan did great. did you test the brakes at all upon landing? any further update on what actually happened?

interesting, sounds like you did a fine job. sorry, sounds like mulligan did great. did you test the brakes at all upon landing? any further update on what actually happened?

Tested brakes. Plane makes right turns awesome. Left turns, no so much

The folks at ATC are great! Glad to hear everything worked out for you.

Sorry to hear the plane had a malfunction, but it looks like you handled it without incident. Nicely done, and glad that ATC worked in concert with you.

The controllers have always been a wonderful help in my time of need. I never hesitate to keep them in the loop so they can help me out as much as possible. I'd buy them all a round... if I could afford it.

Sounds like you did an absolutely fantastic job.

Just one question. Why file a NASA report? The way your story reads, nothing really went wrong that would lead to a need to file. Both you and ATC did a splendid job. There were no regulations broken, no pilot deviations, etc. You had a minor mechanical issue which was dealt with correctly.

Congrats on the outcome.

Sounds like you did an absolutely fantastic job.

Just one question. Why file a NASA report? The way your story reads, nothing really went wrong that would lead to a need to file. Both you and ATC did a splendid job. There were no regulations broken, no pilot deviations, etc. You had a minor mechanical issue which was dealt with correctly.

Congrats on the outcome.

Excellent point on the NASA. I figured I would cover my behind because the runway was shut down to all traffic for a period of time.

They did look at it and a seal was blown in the calipers. Likely happened when it went in for warranty work the flight before but I didn't notice. They did full power run ups with brakes on so they could test the new probes that were replaced. Lots of pressure and may be the cause.

In any event, we will be ready to fly this afternoon. What a lovely day to fly too!!!

So our suspicions have been confirmed!

76179067337d35dd7b9e4709944fdc9df89c909222b55ecc691299bce62803b0.jpg

Skydog, I'm dying at that picture hilarious!

Mulligan, nice work! It can never hurt to file a NASA report, you didn't do anything wrong that you need to be worried about but a NASA report is good data collection for the good and bad to help improve our NAS!

Mulligan,
A) You didn't need to file ASRS where you didn't do anything wrong and are not identifying any safety issue that should be improved; and
B) If this is your real name, you have built-in ASRS protection anyway!

Mulligan,
A) You didn't need to file ASRS where you didn't do anything wrong and are not identifying any safety issue that should be improved; and
B) If this is your real name, you have built-in ASRS protection anyway!

Yeah, the ASRS isn't needed, but there's a purpose to the process beyond just CYA for screw-ups. There now exists a data point for brake failure in the system that didn't before. It won't be used as a get-out-of-jail-free card, but it does help get more value into the system that we all benefit from. If you've got the time to do it, it doesn't hurt to throw another report in even if you have no butt to cover.

Yeah, the ASRS isn't needed, but there's a purpose to the process beyond just CYA for screw-ups. There now exists a data point for brake failure in the system that didn't before. It won't be used as a get-out-of-jail-free card, but it does help get more value into the system that we all benefit from. If you've got the time to do it, it doesn't hurt to throw another report in even if you have no butt to cover.

You should file a maintenance related ASRS if you have identified a safety problem and have a suggested fix for it. But I think it's the mechanic that should do that, once the problem is understood, not the pilot, AFAIK. I stand to be corrected, however.

Back