Mud room is too literal with dog

mikea

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iWin
I'm about to work on getting the doggie door replaced on the sun room with a larger one so Pancho can come and go as she pleases, pending me keeping the inside door to the room open, even with the existing drafty doggie door the room is staying at 65 degrees or so and gets heated but I digress hopelessly......

The problem is, now that I can get her to go into the yard, the yard is muddy. She tracks the mud in so now I clean her paws each time she returns. I'll be off to buy a case of paper towels but I digress again...

My thought was to get a photo tray and keep it filled with water as a foot pool.

Do you think the Dog Whisperer could train her to take a bath on her own each re-entry?

Maybe she can handle putting on her own booties?

Any ideas, dog lovers?

move to warmer, drier place. then you only have to deal with dust, stickers, bugs.

move to warmer, drier place. then you only have to deal with dust, stickers, bugs.

Suuuurre. I'm looking at the new dog door and can't decide if I care enough about keeping criters out as much as I care about keeping cold out and saving money. If the critters were rattlesnakes or worse at least I wouldn't have to contemplate the decision.

http://www.moorepet.com/Wall-Mounted-Pet-Doors-s/21.htm

Stickers? Are those those weed burrs? I put on my newly cleaned and repaired winter jacket went out and picked up the roadway outside the front yard and brought a handful of those back into the house. I knocked a few off outside, but found some stuck to the curtains in my bedroom. They're like tribbles!

Last edited:
Mike,
I'm in upstate Ny and it's always wet here too. I've got 4 of those animals coming in and out of a dog door into my living room all day. You might try to build a free floating deck (Think of a raft) outside right where he comes in. A little carpet on this helps a lot. I finally wound up pouring a big slab off the side of the house before they hit the door. Expensive but worked great.

As far as your water idea, I gave that a shot,too. Failed miserably. One jumped over it, one like to try and tip it over, one liked to stand it all day, and the other was just plain scared of it. Go figure. YMMV.

I spent a lot of time,effort, and money containing these dogs and trying to keep the house clean. If I ever figure out how to upload pics, I'll share the fence I made and the doggy door screen door I modified.

Mike

I got Piper to start cleaning his feet when he comes in from rain. I got one of those boot cleaning pad thingies to scrape the bottom of your boots off, and everytime he came in when it was muddy, I made him wipe his feet, and then praised the hell outta him.

Now, even when its not muddy, he'll often clean his own feet before stepping on my carpet. Best thing I ever taught him, next to high five (that impresses the ladies something fierce).

Suuuurre. I'm looking at the new dog door and can't decide if I care enough about keeping criters out as much as I care about keeping cold out and saving money. If the critters were rattlesnakes or worse at least I wouldn't have to contemplate the decision.

http://www.moorepet.com/Wall-Mounted-Pet-Doors-s/21.htm

I am such an idiot. I got the round tuit, thinking about not having to go down the stairs to open the outside doors twice several times a day. I thought hard, measured the wall and the dog, color matched, sighed about the cost and I ordered the Max Seal door. I liked the size, the security, and I figured the energy saving would pay off eventually.

My next challenge is working with my roof guys to install the thing.

Only then I remembered that I'm in the mode where I have to wash the considerable amount of the backyard from her feet during the current mud season. We STILL have some unmelted snow in the shady areas. The cleaning ladies hasn't been gone for an hour before the floors were a mess again.

I am sooo doomed. :dunno:

I gonna prowl the dollar stores for some trays or tubs I can fill with water and use. I may have to confine her to the sun room that leads out back once in a while.

And this is a tech matter how?
Installing a doggie door can be more difficult than shooting an ILS to some. It involves measuring and cutting. In the case of the ILS, some guy named John measured and cut it for them. :)

Stickers? Are those those weed burrs? I put on my newly cleaned and repaired winter jacket went out and picked up the roadway outside the front yard and brought a handful of those back into the house. I knocked a few off outside, but found some stuck to the curtains in my bedroom. They're like tribbles!

I believe he was refering to goat head burrs which are a grass burr, when a Baptist Minister steps on one even he curses God.

move to warmer, drier place. then you only have to deal with dust, stickers, bugs....

...rattlesnakes, javelinas, large birds with sharp talons, coyotes, Border Patrol, blue-painted poodles, artsy-fartsy Yankees...

Back